Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comparative

• 01-12-2012 1:51am

Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to see what people were studying for their Comparative study in English?
    I love my English teacher and he's decided to study Theme and Cultural Context and I'm finding these completely enjoyable. However, the theme he picked to study with us is "Time." Has anyone any comments on this/ doing it themselves? I just find it very abstract to understand, especially now that I'm planning essays for it. Any advice?
    My three texts are:
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
    All My Sons by Arthur Miller
    Casablanca directed by Michael Curtiz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 A Funky Unicorn

I'm doing the theme of Isolation
    Haven't started yet though
    The texts I'm studying are
    The Novel How many miles to Babylon
    Casablanca as the film study
    And Sive as our play:D

Hmm, every time I see people talking about their theme for the Comparative it seems to be a little "out of the blue" in a sense to me. Is there any particular reason why obvious themes such as Love, Fear etc. aren't chosen? Does anyone know?

I think because they are the obvious choices I guess.

Some times the obvious choice isn't the best way to go but I think the best points are found in the most obvious themes, with concrete examples/ key scenes etc.

Isolation is a main theme in the texts I am doing
    Rick is Isolated because IIsa left him for Victor
    & in How many mile's to Babylon Alec is completely Isolated.
    Yeah it does depend on the texts you are studying

• Advertisement
Advertisement