Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a Compaq 5wv254

Options
  • 01-12-2012 6:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Im looking to upgrade a Compaq Presario 5000 series 5wv254,there's 64MB of RAM in it which I have found out can be upgraded to 256MB maximum. When I fit this new RAM do I need to change BIOS settings? (Im new to upgrading!)

I would also like to upgrade the processor. The existing processor is an AMD Duron 700MHz. What options do I have for fitting a better processor. If I change the processor do I have to change BIOS settings or reload the operating system?

Same questions in relation to the Hard Drive I suppose.

By the way this is more of a learning project, I know it probably makes no sense financially, would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

It would make better economical sense to build a computer from scratch.. It is a lot easier than you may think. It is kind of like lego. If you are adamant you want to update the pc you have then look on adverts for the right parts.

Advertisement