Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Overdraft/Standing Order at Ulster Bank

Options
  • 01-12-2012 10:09am
    Site Banned Posts: 26

Hi all

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rent goes out 1st of every month, so I asked in the bank and they said because the 1st falls on a saturday this month, the rent would be taken from the account on Monday 3rd December.

Rent is 1000, there was 700 in the a/c my wages today which will go in would have cleared the 1000 for the rent

But last night Ulster Bank took the 700 out and says im now -300, even though i dont have an overdraft set up on the account

Will the 700 be sent back to my account or is the rent paid and i owe UB 300?

Additionally is this a mistake on their behalf?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The SO has been applied to the account leaving you overdrawn. You have till around monday morning to fix the shortfall or the bank may send them SO back unpaid and charge you 12.70. If they decide to pay the SO then you go overdrawn, get charged 4.44 and interested will be applied for being overdrawn.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 Johnny Hooker

The SO has been applied to the account leaving you overdrawn. You have till around monday morning to fix the shortfall or the bank may send them SO back unpaid and charge you 12.70. If they decide to pay the SO then you go overdrawn, get charged 4.44 and interested will be applied for being overdrawn.

Cheers for that :)

So if the bank send the SO back unpaid will my account be given the 700 back?

And are the bank likely to pay the SO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Cheers for that :)

So if the bank send the SO back unpaid will my account be given the 700 back?

And are the bank likely to pay the SO?

Sometimes its paid, sometimes its not. The bank are in a loss-loss situation here. Customers will complain if they dont pay it out if they are good customers and never in this situation, others will complain if they do pay it as they dont have available funds. Ultimately an SO is you ordering your bank to pay an amount on a certain date each month so if they pay it then they have followed your instructions, if not then you needs to pay charges for the unpaid SO.

Advertisement