Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 15 Match Day Thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Futureguy, I respect your opinion on here as you seem to know what you're talking about most of the time and are very helpful, BUT... you have to accept that sometimes when a player on your team does well there can be an element of luck involved, there was with Ba last night just like there was with Van Persie's deflected goal last week(which we discussed on another thread), can we just be allowed to point out on the occasions where we feel someone was lucky. Thank you and please take no offence.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Futureguy, I respect your opinion on here as you seem to know what you're talking about most of the time and are very helpful, BUT... you have to accept that sometimes when a player on your team does well there can be an element of luck involved, there was with Ba last night just like there was with Van Persie's deflected goal last week(which we discussed on another thread), can we just be allowed to point out on the occasions where we feel someone was lucky. Thank you and please take no offence.

I absolutely agree with you Swiper but I prefer the term probability rather than luck (be it good or bad luck) and I am a firm believer that we make our own "luck" in the game. I am delighted to have a constructive debate with you.

I don't feel that there is any "good luck" involved in Van Persie scoring at home to West Ham United or Demba Ba scoring at home to Wigan although I agree that the circumstances surrounding these goals were different to the norm (deflection and a penalty that should not have been given), but football is rife with such decisions.

I feel that, relatively speaking, the probability of these players getting something from these games is high. It doesn't matter if it was a silly assist or a wonder goal from 35 yards or a penalty that wasn't.

I envisage that, as teams, Manchester United and Newcastke should have victories against WHU and WIG, respectively, and that Van Persie and Ba have a good chance of being involved.

Also, I view these occurances in a long term context. The probability of Robin Van Persie doing well over an 8-week period is high. Sometimes, he might get a lucky deflection to score vs WHU and sometimes he will have a legitimate goal ruled out vs Reading. Him scoring 2 points one week and 15 another week is just part of an overall prediction that he will do well over a defined period.

There is "luck" in abundance in this game, both bad and good, but we'd have to class every decision as luck if we're going to describe these instances as lucky.

So what I'm saying is that I don't look at instances of good or bad luck. From a footballing sense, it all evens out over the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

FutureGuy wrote: »

65 for the gw. Steadily making way in all my leagues and just outside the money in the boards money league.

How much are paid in this league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

45 points in play and 26 on the bench. Kinda hope Guthrie and Ba dont play now!
    Frederici, Riise and possibly Ba and Guthrie to play [again]. Begovic, Nelsen, Demel and Puncheon on the bench. Captained Michu because Norwich's defence is afflicted with injuries, which turned out to be a good decision at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

45 points in play and 26 on the bench. Kinda hope Guthrie and Ba dont play now!
    Frederici, Riise and possibly Ba and Guthrie to play [again]. Begovic, Nelsen, Demel and Puncheon on the bench. Captained Michu because Norwich's defence is afflicted with injuries, which turned out to be a good decision at least.

Wrong thread?? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yes haha

Advertisement