Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Cork?

Options
  • 01-12-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Looking for a little help in identifying the location of this picture from what seems to be 1920, it was posted in the historic photos thread in the Dublin forum, a couple of posters have suggested it's Cork, any suggestions? Thanks.

8227899918_43fab3f0c5_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I don't think it is Cork, if it was I can't think where it would be with those buildings and bridge, looks like bridge near where 2 rivers meet, unless im looking at it wrong, or else maybe Parnell place bridge just outside City hall
    Just for the curious after a bit of searching found some details on the context of the picture from this dutch website it has the description (google translated):
    Collection Life (LIFE 022)
    Description Easter Rising / civil war Ireland. Members of Sinn Fein (Irish Republican Party) after their hunger strike in prison in Dublin released. Many are hospitalized. Photo 1920: some Party members chasing a man suspected of being a police spy.
    date 1920
    Location Dublin
    Photographer Photographer unknown

This Site also says its: Members of Sinn Fein pursue an alleged police informer in the center of Dublin.
    image also found here but no real description

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It could well be.The photo looks like it was taken outside City Hall looking towards South Mall on the right and Morrisons Island on the left.

AFAIK there was a building with a roof(witches hat) like the one seen on the right, that was at the end of South Mall,so it would tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

That's Cork alright.

Take a look at the picture here and you'll see the similarity in the bridge:

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/corkcameraclubhistoricalphotos/cityhallandalbertquaycork/city_hall_albert_quay_cork.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Yes it does actually seem to be from outside City Hall:
    View from other side of bridge
    CCI_00414_full.jpeg

I wonder what were they all running from/to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

brav wrote: »
    Yes it does actually seem to be from outside City Hall:
    View from other side of bridge
    CCI_00414_full.jpeg

I wonder what were they all running from/to?

The Tans maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Jaesus lads....Looks more like Brian Boru Bridge to Me.

If you look slightly right of centre in the pic,,there is a building with a "Spire" on it..And there is one of them up on MacCurtain Street..You can view it from Emmet Place as you drive up to Merchants Quay. It's nearly directly across from the Met hotel.

Was only looking at it today....It doesn't seem anything like over by the city Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Initially, I thought Brian Boru bridge too, but if it was you'd see the river stretching straight into the distance with knocknaheeny in the background. Just look at the bridge pillars + railings in the albert quay pic - identical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Here is South Mall in 1935.

Hey presto,a spire.

http://photos.examiner.ie/?Action=VF&id=734083410&pcp=241&ppwd=85623mgp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm almost 100% sure I've seen a picture of that bridge before and discussed where it was. I'm relatively confident that it was in The Sextant pub, and I think it was the picture that brav posted. It could be the Anglesea bridge, which was the predecessor to Parnell Bridge, or the original Parnell bridge:

LCAB_02604_Parnell_Bridge_Cork.jpg

It definitely looks like Morrisson's Island and South Mall behind the bridge in the first picture. The building with the spire is where the little concrete park is now, next to the passport office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yes I agree with the others definitely looks like it was taken near where the Sextant pub is now - I love these old photos:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Yes, that's a photo of the old Parnell Bridge, I don't what it was called in 1920.
    The building with the "witches hat" was Suttons Hardware Store which burned down in the early 60's.

The old Parnell Bridge was a steam powered slew bridge which opened to allow ships to go upstream as far as Georges Qy.opposite Trinity Church.
    I think the last time it opened was about 1945.

In the OP photo the masts and funnel of a ship can be seen upriver of the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

I think the tram lines on the street also point to the Blackrock Tivoli line passing City Hall
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Cork_City_Electric_Tramways.jpg

Golfer50 wrote: »
    I think the tram lines on the street also point to the Blackrock Tivoli line passing City Hall
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Cork_City_Electric_Tramways.jpg

The tram depot was nearby, it was behind Careys Tools, it was later occupied the ESB, and later again by Cork Rent A Van

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Jaesus lads....Looks more like Brian Boru Bridge to Me.

If you look slightly right of centre in the pic,,there is a building with a "Spire" on it..And there is one of them up on MacCurtain Street..You can view it from Emmet Place as you drive up to Merchants Quay. It's nearly directly across from the Met hotel.

Was only looking at it today....It doesn't seem anything like over by the city Hall.
    It's from outside The City Hall all right.I've seen old pictures of that spire topped building before and I remember reading about it that it burned down at some point ,maybe in the 60's.

Advertisement