Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with Verizon locked CDMA iPhone in Ireland?

• 01-12-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I got iPhone 4S CDMA Verizon locked. It will work only in USA (as far as I am aware) but I live in Ireland. The reason I bought it is because I got it offered for cheap. Only 90 euros. Now it works as iPod pretty much, I was wondering maybe there is something I can do to get it to work here in Ireland?
    Should I re-sell it somewhere? or should I use it just as iPod touch 4?
    Sorry of wrong section, didn't find a section called "mobile"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Nothing you can do.
    Flog it on Ebay, or keep it as an iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Is value of iPhone 4S CDMA pretty much same as iPhone 4S standart?
    I mean it's kind of same thing, nothing changed other than tied to USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

arleitiss wrote: »
    Is value of iPhone 4S CDMA pretty much same as iPhone 4S standart?
    I mean it's kind of same thing, nothing changed other than tied to USA?

CDMA has no sim card afaik...

Just an aerial.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mobiles >>> AMD

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sell it on eBay.com
    It will only work with certain US networks too so it will have to be priced decently to shift.

Might be easier to get a friend in the us to sell it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Where did you buy it. I'd be wary of selling it on eBay, it could be a stolen phone seeing as it was so cheap and if the buyer disputes it on eBay you will be down a phone and money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

can't post to usa anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Would/could you not use it WiFi only? buy a modem, 20 quid a month and use all the internet services from isms,viber,skype so on. pretty much all i do with my phone. The days of sim cards should be dying out imo. without the internet on my mobile i'd pretty much be fecked as i use it for calling friends in america and uk.

€90 sounds bit funny for a iphone but if its genuine why not hold on to it. read something while back asking what to do with old smartphone's most said turn it into a wifi divice or mp3 player.

I presume wifi works right? or are Verizon that mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Jhcx wrote: »
    Would/could you not use it WiFi only? buy a modem, 20 quid a month and use all the internet services from isms,viber,skype so on. pretty much all i do with my phone. The days of sim cards should be dying out imo. without the internet on my mobile i'd pretty much be fecked as i use it for calling friends in america and uk.

€90 sounds bit funny for a iphone but if its genuine why not hold on to it. read something while back asking what to do with old smartphone's most said turn it into a wifi divice or mp3 player.

I presume wifi works right? or are Verizon that mean.

Call me crazy, but just suppose I want to actually dial a number and speak to somebody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

dodzy wrote: »

Call me crazy, but just suppose I want to actually dial a number and speak to somebody?

Well u can buy Skype credit and ring most countries and numbers around the world. Because its an iPhone if by chance the other caller has iPhone could work out free.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Try and sell it on the American eBay, but I doubt anyone will buy it because of you being in Ireland - High shipping charges/import tax etc.

Use it as a iPod touch imo, use the wifi for downloading apps/skype (for calls)/Viber/Whatsapp etc
    that's what i would do aswell, at €90 its a cheap slightly fatter ipod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Jhcx wrote: »
    Well u can buy Skype credit and ring most countries and numbers around the world. Because its an iPhone if by chance the other caller has iPhone could work out free.
    You are restricted to wifi. IMO, it's not a phone.

dodzy wrote: »
    You are restricted to wifi. IMO, it's not a phone.
    Yes but he said you could buy a mifi device. Wouldn't be my cup of tea but it could work

The 4S is actually dual CDMA/GSM. It can be unlocked for GSM but I'd guess that it would involve getting Verizon to do it, which may not be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Yeah I am using it as internet phone. I got an AP function on my galaxy ace, so I turn on wi fi on it and use both phones no problem :D

Advertisement