Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flat screen tv

Options
  • 01-12-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

im planning on mounting a flat screen tv on me mams wall later, no problem with power, but i dont want the cables for the dvd, ntl box etc visible,

the wall has a cavity with fibre insulation,

i was thinking how will i get from the tv to the boxs which will be in a unit to the bottom left on the ground

the plan im going with is to use 2 white letter boxs with bristles

1 as access to the cavity to fish up the wall to the tv

and the second at the back of the tv as an exit for connection

am i mad or has anyone done this before.

sounds like a good idea to me:rolleyes:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

It's never as easy as you think although you may be lucky.

Is the wall you're mounting it on a plasterboard/stud wall?

You're more than likely going to hit a noggin at about 4ft off the floor so you'll have to cut the wall to get passed it if you're mounting the tv higher.

If you manage to get the cables up bring them out at the top of the tv as there's usually a bit of space to hide cables.

How are you planning on getting power to the tv, do you know a spark who could wire a socket over the tv for you?

The letter box idea will tidy the cables up a bit but you can buy boxes and fitting s to terminate you coax etc into so they'll be there for you to plug into once you've the tv mounted.

Head melt of a job but if you're determined you'll get it neat enough.

If you've the space and a bit of DIY skill building a false wall out off the existing wall is the best job but that's a lot more work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

i am a spark :D

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

haha well that's handy so. :D

you should no better though, melt of a job :D

Just whack the coax into a blank plate if it's sky you could just drill out the face and stick through connectors in it.

when ya build a false wall it's handy as you can sink the entire tv into it and make it truly flat screen looks the job to.

went head with it and here at the results, only issue was a grouping of studs behind the wall i wasnt expecting, turned out very well and im sure my mam is happy with it;)

imag0670m.jpg

imag0671i.jpg

imag0669m.jpg

imag0672d.jpg

imag0673wg.jpg

imag0674u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think the right hand side of the tv is a mm lower than the left

• Advertisement

was hoping nobody would av noticed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

lovely job

did you get a trophy for it?;)

meercat wrote: »
    lovely job

did you get a trophy for it?;)

That has me laughing here. Class:D

There might be a big pile of junkmail under the tv in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

That's impressive.

• Advertisement

yea ridiculous amount of my sisters dancing trophys, cheek of her:p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Looks smart alright.

Very high up on the wall, I normally mount them so that the centre of the screen is at eye level, but with the fire I guess you had little choice.

Enjoy.

Advertisement