Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus fares going up today

Options
  • 01-12-2012 1:42pm

B*stards are putting up the fares again. They could have at least waited til the Christmas season was over.

New Adult Cash Fares from December 1st 2012: Cash Fare Leap Card Fare
    Adult Stages 1 - 3 €1.65 €1.40

Stages 4 - 7 €2.15 €1.90

Stages 8 -13 €2.40 €2.10

Over 13 Stages €2.80 €2.45

Outer Suburban 1 €2.80 €2.45

Outer Suburban 2 €4.40 €4.00

Xpresso 1 Zone €3.25 €2.90

Xpresso 2 Zones €4.40 €4.00

City Centre Fare €0.65 €0.55

Route 90 & 91 Flat Fare €1.80 €1.60

Route 236 Flat Fare €1.65 €1.40

New Child Cash Fares from December 1st 2012: Cash Fare Leap Card Fare

Child Schoolchild €0.80 €0.70

Stages 1 -7 €1.00 €0.90

Over 7 Stages €1.25 €1.10

Outer Suburban 1 €1.25 €1.10

Outer Suburban 2 €2.10 €1.90

Xpresso 1 Zone €2.15 €1.90

Xpresso 2 Zones €2.50 €2.20

City Centre Fare €0.65 €0.55

Route 90 & 91 Flat Fare €0.95 €0.90

Route 236 Flat Fare €0.95 €0.90

Taken from: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/National-Transport-Authority-approves-public-transport-fares-increases/

My old 1.90 fare now will cost me over €100 extra a year. Mad sound, Dublin Bus, mad sound :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

all public transport fares have increased today. is there still the 50c city fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I'll be walking so.

all public transport fares have increased today. is there still the 50c city fare?

City fare went up to .65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

My old 1.90 fare now will cost me over €100 extra a year. Mad sound, Dublin Bus, mad sound :mad:

If you're using the bus that much why are you paying in single cash fares?

catch.23 wrote: »
    If you're using the bus that much why are you paying in single cash fares?

A: I wanted to. Sometimes I like to walk in instead
    B: It was a handy way of saving money. I have €20 in change receipts from paying cash.
    c: That over €100 figure is from 2 bus journeys 4 days a week. Is that that much?

But I'll have to go for a leap card. Another thing I can lose. Great :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's now cheaper for me to drive to and from work. I can pay my petrol and tax for the year and still have cash left over from my bus and train Leap card costs. Madness, thought they are trying to encourage public transport not drive people away from it.

As it is they have reduced the trains capacity and now put the fares up too. Why not just close CIE down and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

If I was to use the leap card to get to work it would cost me €12.20 return.

Xpresso (4.00) + 12 stages (2.10) * 2 = €12.20

Travel 90 tickets work out better even after the 18% increase, €5 return.

Driving a 2.0 turbo petrol car is almost half the price of the leap fare :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

25 cent is a joke, 1.90 -> 2e would have been fine. ****ing 2.15. Such an awkward price.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where does that even go from and to? The city centre is tiny.

I may need a tinfoil hat for this one, but I presume there's a lot of money from unclaimed receipts. So the odder the amount, the more they get.

I remember reading they give it away to charity, but what amount the interest that builds up from that money in the meantime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Where does that even go from and to? The city centre is tiny.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Global/CCF20Leaflet.pdf

I may need a tinfoil hat for this one, but I presume there's a lot of money from unclaimed receipts. So the odder the amount, the more they get.

I remember reading they give it away to charity, but what amount the interest that builds up from that money in the meantime?

I believe Dublin bus actually have to sit on that money and never use it in case somebody claims it? They never had a clause to say your money expires. Unless that has changed.

How much are the new prepaid cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The fares are actually a joke! I don't know why anyone pays them. Get a 30 day non-consecutive ticket. It works out way cheaper if you use the bus at all regularly.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Greedy pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My LEAP fare has only gone up by 5c so not too annoyed.

Any increase on the €5 nitelink ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

My leap price for work is up by 20c a trip, they've also just halved my routes timetable! :rolleyes:

Was there a protest years ago, where everyone paid in coppers on one day so the coppers filled up the coin machines and the drivers were forced to take on passengers for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Was there a protest years ago, where everyone paid in coppers on one day so the coppers filled up the coin machines and the drivers were forced to take on passengers for free?

Never heard off that one but it would be great if it was done again sometime soon.

That happens sometimes anyway with the machines being full or broken. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I only remember a driver protest day when they wouldn't accept money in the machines.

This must be the 7th year in a row that they have increased fares, they usually wait untill January though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Any information on what the prepaid tickets are going up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Prepaid ticket prices are not rising until January 1st. The new rates are listed on page 10 of this link:
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Consideration-of-applications-to-increase-cash-Leap-and-pre-paid-tickets-from-Dublin-Bus-Bus-Eireann-Irish-Rail-and-the-RPA-for-2013-November-20121.pdf

People really need to become smarter about how they pay their fares. The amount of (and I use this word without any shame) idiots still paying cash fares is staggering.

They can either still pay exactly the same fare or less by switching to a LEAP card.

Granted those already using LEAP are having an increase, but it is not as big as that affecting cash fares.

The DB rambler range of non-consecutive days travel can offer big reductions also and are generally valid for about 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Don't get this at all. What is the old 2.15 now?

The reality is that the government are shifting the burden of paying for public transport onto the end user and away from themselves.

The company has been faced with in the last 12 months:
    1) A falling subsidy and more to come
    2) Rising fuel costs
    3) Bearing the burden of the back office costs of LEAP (No funding provided for this)
    4) Falling revenue

No matter much costs are cut (and yes they certainly could be cut more), someone has to pay for the service to operate.

And if the government aren't prepared to do it, that means you and me through higher fares. Unfortunately the price elasticity of urban public transport is not that responsive to fare reductions.

Anyone paying cash fares can avoid the price rises by switching to LEAP.

Neeson wrote: »

If you continue to pay cash (which frankly you would only do if you are stupid - and I am not trying to be insulting), it will be €2.40.

If you get a LEAP card it will be €2.10.

Neeson wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

lxflyer wrote: »
    Prepaid ticket prices are not rising until January 1st. The new rates are listed on page 10 of this link:
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Consideration-of-applications-to-increase-cash-Leap-and-pre-paid-tickets-from-Dublin-Bus-Bus-Eireann-Irish-Rail-and-the-RPA-for-2013-November-20121.pdf

People really need to become smarter about how they pay their fares. The amount of (and I use this word without any shame) idiots still paying cash fares is staggering.

They can either still pay exactly the same fare or less by switching to a LEAP card.

Granted those using LEAP are having an increase.

The DB rambler range of non-consecutive days travel can offer big reductions also and are generally valid for about 18 months.

91.50 for a student thirty day :/ That's 70% of my monthly grant just on a bus ticket.

Well as I said above. The government have pledged not to increase taxes. Therefore they will cut expenditure, which means the subsidy is being cut even more. Effectively that means you and I have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

lxflyer wrote: »

If you continue to pay cash (which frankly you would only do if you are stupid - and I am not trying to be insulting), it will be €2.40.

If you get a LEAP card it will be €2.10.

That's ok. I've been meaning to get one for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks lxflyer! My 30 day rambler will go from 115 to 125 :rolleyes: Pretty sure this was in the region of 85-90euro only a couple of years ago!!

A quick calculation looks like it'll still work out cheaper for me than a leap card though.

(where do people who pay in cash twice a day find all that change btw!? :P)

Advertisement