Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus fares going up today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

lxflyer wrote: »
    Unfortunately the price elasticity of urban public transport is not that responsive to fare reductions.

Unfortunately for Dublin Bus the fall in passangers numbers shows that it is more elastic than they may have first thought... We'll see if that trend contuines...

91.50 for a student thirty day :/ That's 70% of my monthly grant just on a bus ticket.

If it suits, it may be worth looking at getting a bicycle.

A: I wanted to. Sometimes I like to walk in instead
    B: It was a handy way of saving money. I have €20 in change receipts from paying cash.
    c: That over €100 figure is from 2 bus journeys 4 days a week. Is that that much?

But I'll have to go for a leap card. Another thing I can lose. Great :mad:

The non-consecutive 5 or 30 day tickets may also suit.

Following in the footsteps of London and other cities, the idea is to make paying in cash less attractive and push more people towards using cards.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Any information on what the prepaid tickets are going up to?

Everything but the yearly/monthly tickets -- see page 11 of the report PDF: http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/fares-increase-november-2012/

Yearly / monthly tickets: http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/National-Transport-Authority-approves-public-transport-fares-increases-for-monthly-and-annual-tickets2.pdf

It's now cheaper for me to drive to and from work. I can pay my petrol and tax for the year and still have cash left over from my bus and train Leap card costs. Madness, thought they are trying to encourage public transport not drive people away from it.

As it is they have reduced the trains capacity and now put the fares up too. Why not just close CIE down and be done with it.

Where are you traveling to and from?

Is there a good reason you're not using the discounted 30 day or monthly or yearly tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

monument wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Dublin Bus the fall in passangers numbers shows that it is more elastic than they may have first thought... We'll see if that trend contuines...

I don't doubt that you could be right about that, but I am pretty convinced that any increase in passenger numbers caused by reducing fares would not bridge the gap caused by the increase in fuel costs, reduction in subsidy and additional costs of operating LEAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If it suits, it may be worth looking at getting a bicycle.

Even the notion turns my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Where are you traveling to and from?

Is there a good reason you're not using the discounted 30 day or monthly or yearly tickets?

From Clongriffin to Killester. But I work shift work. Some weeks I can work all my hours in 3 days and other weeks I could be in 7 days a week to get all my hours. Varies but even with Leap its cheaper for me to drive. I can do 7 round trips to work on about €12 petrol versus €21 on a Leap card.

No ticket option is cheaper than me driving to work. Plus I get an extra hour in bed each morning and an extra hour of free time in the evening. That's an extra 14 hours quality time per week, can't put a price on that frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I am to ****ed off to say anything constructive at all :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I hate the first few days of a fare hike, bus is slower than normal due to loading taking longer with people complaining. It took 20 minutes longer than it should have today, with no major traffic.

€2.80 cash fare for my route (I use leap) is disgraceful. It was €1.90 circa 2004..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I wish someone reformed CIEE. What is the regularity of the price hikes which they have inflicted on consumersw in comparision to places like London?

Can we not have an efficient and affordable bus service at the same time? Is there not some severe waste that could be cut within the management structure of the CIEE itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

A fiver a day on bus fare is 25 quid a week, a month is 100 quid, a year is 1200 quid,

1200 quid on bus fare is a fkn joke. time to get back in the car.

I wish someone reformed CIEE. What is the regularity of the price hikes which they have inflicted on consumersw in comparision to places like London?

Can we not have an efficient and affordable bus service at the same time? Is there not some severe waste that could be cut within the management structure of the CIEE itself?

London fares also rise on an annual basis.

As I posted above what do you suggest in the light of:
    1) Massively falling subsidies
    2) Large increase in fuel prices
    3) Additional overheads due to the company being forced to bear the back office costs associated with LEAP
    4) DSP funding being capped

There are additional cost savings to be achieved but people are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that will make up the difference.

The government are shifting the burden of funding public transport onto the end user rather than funding it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I surely know by know, why I'm cycling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

A fiver a day on bus fare is 25 quid a week, a month is 100 quid, a year is 1200 quid,

1200 quid on bus fare is a fkn joke. time to get back in the car.

If you're spending that much, why haven't you looked at getting either a rambler ticket, stocking up on Travel90 tickets or asked your employer about the www.taxsaver.ie ticket scheme? Cheaper for them, they save on Employer PRSI and cheaper for you, depending on the tax rate you pay you could save half the gross cost of the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

time to stock up on 30 day tickets!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

where is outer suburban 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Where does that even go from and to? The city centre is tiny.

From portobello bridge right up to the top of parnell square is still city centre, capel street to fitzwilliam square etc. Its hardly tiny. Wouldnt want to walk either with shopping in tow :-)

where is outer suburban 2?

The outer sections of routes 33/33a, 65 and 84.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

lxflyer wrote: »
    London fares also rise on an annual basis.

As I posted above what do you suggest in the light of:
    1) Massively falling subsidies
    2) Large increase in fuel prices
    3) Additional overheads due to the company being forced to bear the back office costs associated with LEAP
    4) DSP funding being capped

There are additional cost savings to be achieved but people are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think that will make up the difference.

The government are shifting the burden of funding public transport onto the end user rather than funding it themselves.
    Well that's something they will obviously have to contend with.

They need to scale back their management, there have obviously been failings for some time now. I also don't understand the spending of money on Wifi when they are cutting back services, and then raising fares. Wifi is not a neccesity, especially during cutbacks.. need to get their priorities in order.
    Bus time management is still an issue that is not addressed where you have an oversupply of buses, all arriving at once and is greatly irritating. Why can't they get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It's ridiculous they are allowed raise their prices when they haven't even got their ship in order.

Only down here since September but have experienced two same buses arriving at the same time, buses mysteriously not arriving at all and them real time boards seem next to useless half the time. Compare that to living in New York over the summer, where the bus would arrive where it is timetabled to be on the minute without fail every time so the boards wouldn't have been needed at all.

Even the ticket pricing I find flawed here, the flat rate system in NY seems much easier to operate, especially for tourists, so I don't see why that couldn't be done here.

Maybe it is an unfair comparison but Dublin Bus aren't in any way close to the NY system so there is obviously room for huge improvement!

get this then, I always get a bus from location X to location Y and it was always €1.40, today I said €1.65 and the bus driver asked where I was going to and I told him and he said that is €2.15!! I explained how it has always been €1.40 in the past for the destination and even says on the ticket, he let me on today at €1.65 and the ticket when I checked at it now has the fare stopping off a stop back from the original

In short paying more and going less on the route

what a **** company

The fare stages have not changed.

Without knowing where you are going to/from its impossible to confirm which fare is correct.

perhaps, still a pile of ***** though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My leap card and my bike just arrived today. **** those prices.

perhaps, still a pile of ***** though

Well what journey are you making and I'll try to tell you what fare you should be paying?

berkely road by the north circular road stop to last stop on new cabra road, fare today said 1.65 was to dowth avenue

OK you get on at stage 27 (your stop is between stages 27 and 28, so the fare starts at the stage before that stop), and you get off at stage 31, Cabra Cross, which is 4 stages.

That means the correct fare is €2.15 cash / €1.90 LEAP.

The lower fare of €1.65 cash / €1.40 LEAP only goes as far as the junction with Carnlough Road.

apologies, I must have misread my ticket it would seem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Well that's something they will obviously have to contend with.

They need to scale back their management, there have obviously been failings for some time now. I also don't understand the spending of money on Wifi when they are cutting back services, and then raising fares. Wifi is not a neccesity, especially during cutbacks.. need to get their priorities in order.
    Bus time management is still an issue that is not addressed where you have an oversupply of buses, all arriving at once and is greatly irritating. Why can't they get this?

Completely agree, it's a joke! If the argument is that a wifi signal will result in a load of people leaving their bikes/cars at home then I'd love to see the figures to back it up, complete waste of money. See also the new (harder to see) station signs on the DART when the old ones were fine, more money wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Anybody got any figures on fare increases from around time of Euro introduction.

Has anyone been in touch with Dublin Bus, CIE or any of the Government ministers involved, (see below)
    to complain about fare increases.

Leo Varadkar, http://www.transport.ie/about/OurMinisters.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1219
    http://www.transport.ie/about/findus.asp?lang=ENG&loc=353

or Junior Transport Minister Alan Kelly
    http://www.transport.ie/about/ourMinisters_of_State.asp?lang=ENG&loc=2640

(transport has its own Junior Minister :eek: what on earth could Alan Kelly be doing all day)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Tallinn, capital of Estonia, will introduce free public transport to their users from Jan'13.

Tourists will still have to pay for public transport. :o

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng/fpt_conference

imme wrote: »
    Anybody got any figures on fare increases from around time of Euro introduction.

Has anyone been in touch with Dublin Bus, CIE or any of the Government ministers involved, (see below)
    to complain about fare increases.

Leo Varadkar, http://www.transport.ie/about/OurMinisters.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1219
    http://www.transport.ie/about/findus.asp?lang=ENG&loc=353

or Junior Transport Minister Alan Kelly
    http://www.transport.ie/about/ourMinisters_of_State.asp?lang=ENG&loc=2640

(transport has its own Junior Minister :eek: what on earth could Alan Kelly be doing all day)
    imme wrote: »
    Tallinn, capital of Estonia, will introduce free public transport to their users from Jan'13.

Tourists will still have to pay for public transport. :o

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng/fpt_conference

Perhaps you can take the time to ask why Irish government subsidies are being cut to levels far below most European cities?

• Advertisement

Also are you using a LEAP card rather than paying cash?

If you are not, why not?

If you are not, by getting a LEAP card you can still pay the same fares (or lower) as you were previously paying in cash.

As posted above fares have risen over the last 10 years due (mainly) to:

1) Falling government subsidies
    2) Large increase in fuel prices, exacerbated a few years back by the removal of the fuel duty rebate
    4) DSP funding being capped, and the free travel scheme being extended to peak hours

As part of the austerity programme the government are moving more of the burden of funding public transport onto end users and away from themselves. Complaining isn't going to get you anywhere on this one.

Advertisement