Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus fares going up today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

lxflyer wrote: »
    Perhaps you can take the time to ask why Irish government subsidies are being cut to levels far below most European cities?
    ask who:confused:

Irish governments don't care about public transport, it's not joined up, we do urban sprawl, not considered development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Why not ask Dublin Bus why their wages are one of the highest in Europe? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

get this then, I always get a bus from location X to location Y and it was always €1.40, today I said €1.65 and the bus driver asked where I was going to and I told him and he said that is €2.15!! I explained how it has always been €1.40 in the past for the destination and even says on the ticket, he let me on today at €1.65 and the ticket when I checked at it now has the fare stopping off a stop back from the original

In short paying more and going less on the route

what a **** company

The driver probably hadn't updated the ticket machine for the correct stop. I usually get the 27 or 151 from Connolly to Kevin St which is just within the minimum fare bracket but sometimes my ticket will say I got on somewhere like North Strand which leaves me without a valid ticket or technically having to disembark at Werburgh St. Good thing I haven't seen an inspector in about 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

imme wrote: »
    ask who:confused:

Irish governments don't care about public transport, it's not joined up, we do urban sprawl, not considered development.

That's my point.

Complaining about fare increases is not going to solve that.

There are far bigger issues about funding that need to be complained about.

latenia wrote: »
    The driver probably hadn't updated the ticket machine for the correct stop. I usually get the 27 or 151 from Connolly to Kevin St which is just within the minimum fare bracket but sometimes my ticket will say I got on somewhere like North Strand which leaves me without a valid ticket or technically having to disembark at Werburgh St. Good thing I haven't seen an inspector in about 5 years.

As I pointed out above - the poster was paying the wrong fare.

The driver was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know a lot of people who are actually underpaying their fare and don't know it. Met a friend at a bus stop recently. He was travelling a route I often get but thought the fare had now gone up to 2.15 whereas the old fare was 2.15 for that distance and he'd just been underpaying the whole time.

If I'm short on change, I'll drop down a payment tier.

The bus inspector is quite the Bogey Man these days. I saw them when I was younger, but not in years.

The bus inspector is quite the Bogey Man these days. I saw them when I was younger, but not in years.

Funnily enough I've seen a few more of them in the past few months than every before.

I think some routes are targeted more than others though or at least that seems to be my experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not having a go at you personally but that situation is exactly why there should be a flat cash fare of ~€3 and tag on/tag off with the Leap cards. On another note, got one of the new buses and they're top notch. Hope they utilise the middle doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just me or do people find some drivers a pain in the arse when using the Leap Card? Got charged €2.10 tonight for a €1.90 fare, not major but it adds up and defeats the purpose of the cheaper fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

That's happened to me a few times. If you say it to them they can actually refund your card and charge the correct fare there and then.

I've started walking everywhere they since they put the fares up. I used to walk a fair bit anyway, but the idea of paying over €2 to get into the city is just ridiculous to me right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

91.50 for a student thirty day :/ That's 70% of my monthly grant just on a bus ticket.

Look at it this way, if you can borrow the money / break the piggybank to buy a bicycle you could buy a bike for around €300-€400 and see the results of saving money within a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Just me or do people find some drivers a pain in the arse when using the Leap Card? Got charged €2.10 tonight for a €1.90 fare, not major but it adds up and defeats the purpose of the cheaper fare.

When you get on do you not state your fare to them? If you say 1.90 are they keying in 2.10?

Tell me do you do that in a shop as well?

Frankly that is theft.

And people wonder why fares increase??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

DB have to shoulder some of the blame for the underpaying/overstopping issue with the ambiguity of the fare stage system. On the flip side; you can go from ~Camden St to ~Parnell Sq I think and still be within the 65c City Fare limit; I wonder how many people pay the 1-3 Stage fare for that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

91.50 for a student thirty day :/ That's 70% of my monthly grant just on a bus ticket.
    I'm on a Fás course, and I get a €4 a week allowance for public transport to and from the course, but it costs me €5.70 a day on bus and Luas. I think I'm going to be walking a large part of the way from now on.

I find Dublin Bus terrible value for the money, with buses frequently late, and then having two arrive at the same time. While many of the drivers are grand I think that some of them could use a course in dealing with the public, with the introductory module being: Why It's a Good Idea to Let Passengers on the Bus to Wait When You're at the Terminal and it's Pissing Rain/Bloody Freezing. I've never understood why a leaf couldn't be taken out of other European cities, with there being only two tickets - one valid for an hour, and one valid for a day. I have never understood their policy of putting prices up to the point where it's cheaper to drive, then to complain that no-one is using the buses and putting up the prices again to cover the shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I've stopped using Dublin bus now. Lucky enough to be living a 30 minute walk from work and college and having boycotted the feckers for nearly two weeks I feel the benefit of the fresh air and exercise every day - should have done it sooner. Only get buses now in emergency (running late to meet mammy lol) - got one the other day, was one of those shiny new ones with the two sets of doors - felt like a VIP haha. Plus with the 20 euro a week I save, even taking the increase in wine price into account I'm still er...ten euro up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If I'm going less then 13 stages I just pay with cash,as more often then not the driver charges the wrong LEAP card fare.

If I'm going from say City Centre-Clondalkin though, I use the LEAP validator on the right of the door because the driver can't mess that one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If I'm going less then 13 stages I just pay with cash,as more often then not the driver charges the wrong LEAP card fare.

I've yet to be charged the wrong amount by them. Do you not just say the fare and he keys it in? Or do you state your destination and let him price it?

I've noticed different drivers charging different amounts for the same journeys so I always state the amount unless it's a route I don't use much and I don't know how much it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

lately the bus drivers are letting everyone on to their buses, people crammed and jammed right up to the front entrance -surely cant be safe?

hike up the fares and cram the ****ers in any old way

• Advertisement

lately the bus drivers are letting everyone on to their buses, people crammed and jammed right up to the front entrance -surely cant be safe?

Could be that there's seats upstairs and idiots aren't going up to them.

I was on a bus recently that filled up and he sailed past all the stops - it was great watching the angry faces at the stops as we zoomed past in the warm bus while they froze, waiting for the next one. :)

(I'm going to hell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

yeah fair point, I always check myself though as half the people dont and just assume and stand there looking gormless

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Sometimes it's actually impossible to get to the stairs because there are so many people squished in. In this instance I'd usually ask the driver if there are any seats upstairs, as he can see on the camera.

tomboylady wrote: »
    That's happened to me a few times. If you say it to them they can actually refund your card and charge the correct fare there and then.

Good to know.
    When you get on do you not state your fare to them? If you say 1.90 are they keying in 2.10?

Well you're meant to state your stop not fare? Going to work is grand, it's coming home, likewise if I'm over in Drumcondra, going there is grand but it's coming home.

tomboylady wrote: »
    Sometimes it's actually impossible to get to the stairs because there are so many people squished in. In this instance I'd usually ask the driver if there are any seats upstairs, as he can see on the camera.

yeah thats maddening when everyone is standing at the front of the bus and you can see seats behind, or at least a few square inches to stand. No, they all have to stand blocking the way and staring blankly ahead pretending to be invisible :rolleyes:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Could be that there's seats upstairs and idiots aren't going up to them.

I was on a bus recently that filled up and he sailed past all the stops - it was great watching the angry faces at the stops as we zoomed past in the warm bus while they froze, waiting for the next one. :)

(I'm going to hell)

In the glorified agar plate on wheels that was full of germs and gross breath condensation on the windows and e.coli on the bars...eek! :D lol just joking, I'm bitter cause I was that angry person so many times. :)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    yeah thats maddening when everyone is standing at the front of the bus and you can see seats behind, or at least a few square inches to stand. No, they all have to stand blocking the way and staring blankly ahead pretending to be invisible :rolleyes:

Used to get this on the LUAS - plenty of room up the tram but eejits standing bunched up at the door, refusing to move to let you on. I've had to resort to my 'outdoor' voice a few times, "MOVE UP THE AISLES. THERE'S LOADS OF ROOM."

It's quite funny how a loud, booming announcement like that can startle the commuter bunnies into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Get a job so. It's my taxes you're giving out about. To you, it's free money. I can't believe someone is giving out that their 'free money only gets me to college with 30% left over".

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    Get a job so. It's my taxes you're giving out about. To you, it's free money. I can't believe someone is giving out that their 'free money only gets me to college with 30% left over".

Student grants are means tested, means they do not get anything more than they are due. A grant (even the maximum one) is only the tip of the iceberg if you consider how much education actually costs. I'm not complaining - its a good investment (and I am a student who is not on a grant by the way, it doesnt bother me). Will you still be complaining when this person is earning big bucks and paying the higher tax rate?

Advertisement