Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Advice Please

Options
  • 01-12-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, Can someone give me some advice please i don't know what to do at the moment. I'm unemployed & have only recently figured out what i actually want to do with my life (i know it's taken a while) i would love to work with anaimals in some way as i love dogs & cats especially. I've had no work experience (i do live on a farm) since i left school at 16 i've only done a couple of computer courses which i had no real interest in. I did apply for a vetinary course a couple of months back but in the end i couldn't afford the fees + travel as i live in a pretty rural area. I don't really know what to do like i said i now know i want to work with animals but i don't really know where to start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Search in Qualifax and it will show you a list of places that will offer animal related courses. If you are receiving social welfare you may be entitled to Back to Education Allowance to help fund you during the study period. Some info here.

I'm sure is plenty more suggestions but hopefully someone else can point you in a direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

Hi there. Have you thought of joining your local SPCA as a volunteer? I know it's not paid work but that way you might get to meet like minded people and gain some experience in the "field" (literally). Animal sanctuaries are always overwhelmed this time of year and the organisers/other volunteers might be able to teach you a lot also. Horse and donkey rescue centres are usually flat out busy. Similarly dog and cat rescue and re-homing is on-going year round. Not to mention seal sanctuaries, bat projects and other wildlife groups. You can find loads of groups on the internet and you might just find your niche! You may know a local vet and offer to shadow them or help out in the clinic side of things as an "intern". Be confident and you'd be surprised what opportunities will arise if you follow your passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rihanna7

Thanks for your advice, There is no SPCA close to me really, There is a veterinary Surgeons i'm not sure if i should ask in there i feel a bit stupid walking in to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

Its all a matter of confidence Rihana! Fake it to make it! The hardest part is, as you say,walking in the door in the first place... Have a little practice role play at home with your Mum or Dad first..Plan the words you are going to use just like you might do if you were going for a job interview. Find out a first name of some one in there first, ask for an appointment for " a quick chat" and then you'll be surprised how willing people are to talk to you, especially as remember you are only offering to help!! My first question to them would be Is there an SPCA locally and if not, why not? and How do I go about setting one up? (It's a lot easier than you think!) Have a go, I think you'd learn a lot and these days you have to build your own career from the ground up, no one is really able to offer the traditional "first job experience" so may as well invent your own job.

Advertisement