Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate and heating problems

Options
  • 01-12-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I need advice. I live with two others who are really sound and we all get along BUT our first ESB bill arrived a few weeks ago and it was quite high for a first bill that I immediately started worrying about the next bill. I mentioned about not having the heaters on all the time etc and they agreed.

However, one of my housemates always has their window open, it's never closed unless they go home at the weekends. I've just discovered that the heater in the bedroom is left on the whole time too without the window being closed. This is clearly a waste! So basically I just need advice on how best to approach this subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

It may be a 'waste' but do the rest of you keep the heater on the 'whole time' in your rooms? Is his having his window open increasing the cost of heating the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 loopychick

Me and the other housemate are in the library til late most nights so heating in our rooms isn't on. The house is alot colder and it's been mentioned several times but he still won't do anything about it. If he's in college or out surely there's no need for the heating to be on in the room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Fair enough. You need to have a house meeting and set some ground rules.

Whose name is the bill in?

My main problem is if he's cold surely he'd close the window and then switch on the heater rather than having it on constantly! It's a small room so wouldn't take long to heat up.

Bill is paid through accommodation agency. I just feel that if he wants to have the heat on in his room the whole time then surely he should pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If he won't get some cop on, what can you do? Move in with a more reasonable person or tell him to leave - or tell him to contribute more towards the bill.

• Advertisement

I'll try a house meeting when everyone is here. Just wanted to know did anyone have this kind of problem and how they dealt with it.

Advertisement