Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing sockets/outlets in shed

Options
  • 01-12-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Hey,

We have what looks like a coalshed attached to the (quite old redbrick, off the NCR) house, and there is a light fitting with a switch in there, but no socket. I'd like to put a chest freezer in there. Would it be a big job to run a cable through from the house somehow, and any idea how much it might cost? I'd like to get an estimate before I ask the landlord.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Probably not massive money as its attached to the house. If there's a socked on that wall he might be able to drill right through.

Guestimate would be about €100, but could be + or - a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Big drill bit, wire, new socket + back, screws, cable hooks and of course a drill.

Length of wire is depending on how close your nearest socket is. You could also use trunking instead of cable hooks, but the hooks are cheaper.

Run the wire from the socket through the wall into the new socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If I was going to go from a socket in the house, I would advise a double pole switch in the spur off. And check the socket circuit is a 20 amp circuit and not a 32 amp ring.

Advertisement