Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wesport Arts Festival 2013

Options
  • 01-12-2012 4:58pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're delighted to announce ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE IMPOSTERS have confirmed to perform at Westport 2013 on Sunday 30th June. With a career spanning 40 years and 23 albums, this will be a show not to be missed. Buy Early Bird tickets now before they're all gone!
    487114_446066182119885_99231202_n.jpg

The second and final batch of Early Bird tickets have just been released. For the next 2 weeks, or until sold out, you can purchase a Weekend Ticket for €105.00 (€25 discount) and a Day Ticket for €60.00 (€15 discount). We have also introdu
    ced a Teen Ticket which will cost €50.00 for the Weekend and €30.00 for a Day Ticket. To avail of this you must be 13-17 years of age and accompanied by an adult to the festival. Under 12's are Free and do not require a ticket. These discounted rates are only available to Non Camping tickets and you can purchase them now from the following link - http://www.tickettailor.com/checkout/view-event/id/5124/chk/a6b9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sweet!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

ABC confirm Westport appearance for Sat 29th June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm confused, this is the Westport house festival again right?

Following their recent sell out show at Dublin's Olympia Theatre, Irish rockers THE RIPTIDE MOVEMENT have confirmed they'll play Westport on Sat 29th June.

JULIE FEENEY - SAT 29TH JUNE.
    BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA - SAT 29TH JUNE
    Irish singer songwriter GAVIN JAMES has confirmed he'll perform at Westport on Sat 29th June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

I'm confused, this is the Westport house festival again right?

Yes

Shaping up to be a decent lineup already

FESTIVAL ANNOUNCEMENT...We're delighted to announce, following her NYE performance in Dublin to thousands of fans, IMELDA MAY has confirmed she will return to perform at Westport 2013 on Sunday 30th June. Tickets on sale now from www.westportfestival.com.

***ANNOUNCEMENT***
    Galway's finest, THE STUNNING, will play Westport 2013 on Saturday 29th June. Tickets on sale now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

They just officially relaunched the website and have posted the lineup for the Saturday and Sunday

http://www.westportfestival.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

72857_10151542953883340_1980973147_n.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Really looking forward to seeing the Grand Parade on Saturday night. Here's their announcement:

"Confirmed to appear as part of Ireland's Supergroup are LISA HANNIGAN, DECLAN O'ROURKE, WALLIS BIRD, JERRY FISH, GAVIN GLASS and MUNDY plus more surprise special guests."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

My dad accidentally bought 3 instead of 2 tickets for this (bless him)

Feel free to PM if anyone is looking for a ticket? should be a good gig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yep looking forward to this (just a week and half away now) :-)

The Grand Parade band sounds pretty impressive. The line-up probably changes a bit though depending who is available etc.

This was the line-up earlier this year.

Gavin Glass, Valerie Francis, Cathy Davey, Jerry Fish & Mundy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Surprisingly quiet thread given the good line up at the event.

I'm hitting the road for Mayo in an hour. Can't wait to get there.

Really looking forward to Sqeeze and Costello !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Lapin wrote: »
    Surprisingly quiet thread given the good line up at the event.

I'm hitting the road for Mayo in an hour. Can't wait to get there.

Really looking forward to Sqeeze and Costello !
    I'm setting off in an hour or so myself. The line up does indeed look good. I'm a bit miffed to see Damian Dempsey's time slot has been changed so that he now clashes with Squeeze instead of Imelda May. I was hoping to get to see both him and Squeeze and I'm not too fussed about Imelda May. But I suppose Damian Dempsey and Imelda May have a significant overlap in fans so it probably makes sense from the organisers' point of view. But, by the same logic, The Stunning and the Waterboys probably have a significant overlap in fans too so it would be nice if they hadn't been scheduled to play at the same time. But these are minor gripes. Plenty to enjoy anyway.

Was there for the two days. Good Event. Well run. Weather (mostly) obliged too.

The great things about this event is Westport town itself and the beautiful grounds of Westport House. Huge bonus to have it soo close to the Town center. This makes a big difference especially at night afterwards when you are leaving and trying to get home/back to accommodation etc.

Very friendly atmosphere and didn't see any hassle over the whole weekend. Stand-out musical acts for me were ABC, Hayseed Dixie, Alabama 3, The Stunning, The Waterboys, Squeeze.

The three small gripes I would have were

1). Price of tickets is on the high side ..and I'd say it was far from sold-out. I think €50/day would have been enough.
    2). The organizers could probably have put a bit more thought into the scheduling and locating of some of the bands .. A few examples .. Blind Boys of Alabama and Buena Vista Social club should have been in the Marque. Whilst bands like The Stunning and Hayseed Dixie should have been outdoors, also bad scheduling conflict having The Stunning and The Waterboys playing at the same time...considering the likely overlap of people wanting to see both.

3). Whats with the drink sponsorships at Festivals these days... Only options .. Miller or Copperberg or Wine... My head was like a well kicked football both mornings after. Why can't one of the pubs from town setup a stall and give us a Stout, a 'proper' lager and maybe an Irish Cider

Just saying is all ... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

All in all it was a very enjoyable weekend. Agree wholeheartedly about The Stunning and the Waterboys timing clash as already mentioned above. There were quite a few instances where artists performing in the marquee should have been on the main stage or else they need a much bigger marquee. Crowds were spilling out into the field half the time because the tent was jammed. Also, the tent and the main stage are too close together for my liking. It was handy enough for wandering between the two to catch Damian Dempsey and Squeeze at the same time but it's bad when you're watching Christy Moore on the main stage and having the music from the marquee be loud enough to be disruptive even though you're standing beside the sound desk.

The three small gripes I would have were

1). Price of tickets is on the high side ..and I'd say it was far from sold-out. I think €50/day would have been enough.
    3). Whats with the drink sponsorships at Festivals these days... Only options .. Miller or Copperberg or Wine... My head was like a well kicked football both mornings after. Why can't one of the pubs from town setup a stall and give us a Stout, a 'proper' lager and maybe an Irish Cider

Just saying is all ... :-)
    I think maybe you've answered your own question there. Events like these aren't cheap to run and one of the ways to keep ticket prices down is to get other income from selling exclusive rights for booze supply. My head had no problem after a feed of Kopparberg Apple on Saturday but when they ran out of that on Sunday and I had to order a pint of Miller it almost made me puke. I'd love a bigger selection too but at the end of the day selling competing concessions is likely to bring in less money than one exclusive deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

Well done to the organisers of the Westport Festival, I had a blast! I couldn't think of anything that needed improving, really an excellent festival. I managed to get myself burnt to a crisp even though the sun only came out for 20 minutes, don't know how I managed it! If there is a good lineup your always going to have conflicting schedules, you just have to pick your favourite!

I think the camping ticket was good value, if you break it down its 40euro a day for camping and 40euro a day for the ticket.

Miller is not my favourite beer but it is an easy beer to drink. Can't say the same for the Kopparberg but the wine was alright!

I will gladly be returning to the Westport festival next year, lets hope for another excellent line up!

Yeah, agreed.. (my little gripes aside) ... overall a very good festival and fair play to the organizers to put this together such a strong line-up in the West of Ireland... Westport is a lovely town...and I'll definitely be back.

Advertisement