Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep running willy.

• 01-12-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, I havea question. I do some running, marathons and other long distances. I have been injured recently and just starting some small runs in an effort to gret back to fitness. My little four legged side kick "willy" likes to come with me . Its good for me because it slows me down and limits the distance i can do. The question is how much can a small wire haired terrier do without causing himself harm. He so far is showing no ill effects,other than being tired. We are rynning about 4 or 5 miles on a daily basis, and will up the distance gradually over the next few weeks, willy loves the running. How much is too mkuch ? Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

What type of distances are you looking at when you say other long distances, as you know that could mean anything from a marathon to a 100 mile run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How old is he, and what level of exercise is he used to?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

He is about 4 years old ,but im not sure as we got him from a rescue centre and they had very little info. I don't plan on going for realy long runs with him it's just that i dont nthink he knows when he has had enough. He is fairly fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I have a JRT Bart- he's 14 yrs old this month :O but when he was younger he used run with me all the time! There is a river bank close to my home and from one brigde to another and back its 8km - we used do this together a few times a week up untill he was about 7! he started to slow down a bit then so i stopped bringing him :( but he's as fit as a fiddle for his age and happy out so it definately had no long term affects on him :D

My 4 yr old German Shepherd Milly does it with me now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't see why he can't run with you, he's in the prime of his life :)

Might be an idea to get a canicross set up if you can, a belt, lead with a bungee and a harness. the belt allows you to run hands free, and the dog stays attached, its a growing sport. There are groups being set up around the country, there is a national Facebook group - Canicross Ireland that has details of the local groups. If you are interested in getting the belt etc, I can pm you details of where you can get them, there is a lady in Wicklow who makes them now, so you don't have to get them from the UK or mainland Europe :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement