Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms and Conditions of in branch banking

Options
  • 01-12-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi BOI
    Could you send me a link to the terms and conditions of in branch banking with you. I have heard it is not possible to go into one of your branches and withdraw money with a cashier and this has to be done using an ATM only. I find this strange so would like to see where this is set out.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi eg lmk1,

I will check this for you and get back to you asap.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi eg lmk1,

The availability of casher services varies by branch, but ATM/Lodgement ATM's services are available in almost every branch - a significant number of branches have both internal and external devices.

Dependent on the location, you can currently choose which option you wish to avail of.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eg_lmk1

Thanks Linda.

However I think you have succesfully managed to answer but not answer
    my question !

So are you saying that as long as there is a cashier available and working in
    a bank that it is no where dictated in your terms and conditions that they can
    refuse to withdraw money for a customer and instead make them use an ATM.

In other words if I walk into my local BOI branch and there is a cashier seated
    at a booth per your terms and conditions of the service you provide if I request
    to withdraw money from my account the Cashier CANNOT refuse to do this.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I would like some clarification on this too, if the BOI reps are able to answer.

Are the cashiers allowed to refuse services that are available online or with self service machines?

I ask because I went into a branch today to transfer money into another BOI account. The cashier I went to didn't put the transfer through because it was a rent payment. I was handed back my transfer form, told I was supposed to do it online or through a standing order and sent on my merry way.

After trying to do my transaction through 365, which failed, I went back to a different cashier at the same branch and got the job done with no questions asked.

I don't want to make remarks about individual staff members here, the first girl I went to seemed sorry about the whole thing. But there seems to be quite a bit of inconsistency when it comes to cashier services these days. I'd like to know if it's policy for customers to be refused service where self help options are available, or if we're being fobbed off because the cashiers just want to get everyone served and out the door ASAP.

Hi guys,

Apologies about the delay and thank you for your patience.
    eg_lmk1 wrote: »
    Could you send me a link to the terms and conditions of in branch banking with you.

Terms and conditions refer to the operation of an account and products, not to branch services.

Cashier services, where present, may currently be availed of, however we may recommend the usage of ATM/LATM dependent on account type, value of withdrawal and/or card/account limit.
    Esterhase wrote: »
    Are the cashiers allowed to refuse services that are available online or with self service machines?

At the moment in Bank of Ireland branches, our branch staff actively advises customers of other options available to them. For example, having an account with Bank of Ireland so they may use the online banking or quick lodgement facilities, standing orders and direct debits. This is to make it easier for all customers using the branch.
    Apologies about the experience you had in this instance Esterhase.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement

Thanks for the clarification Linda. However it still doesn't 100% answer mine or Esterhase question. I appreciate that in the bank we have all these options available to us with regard to how we bank.

The bottom line question I would like answered is .... can a cashier refuse to perform a service if this service can be done via on line, ATM or whatever other means.

Also, if terms and conditions only apply to accounts and products where is it outlined about the branch services so that I can refer to this when I am being refused by a cashier to perform a task.

Thanks for the response Linda, but like eg_lmk1 said, our question still hasn't really been answered clearly. I understand that you need to spread this information, but our questions don't have anything to do with what other options are available or what BOI staff may recommend.

When you say that cashier services 'may currently be availed of' instead of self-service, does that mean that cashiers are required to provide the service if the customer cannot or does not wish to use a machine or online banking? Does BOI think it is OK for staff to refuse service and turn customers away from the counters? It's a simple yes/no/I don't know answer.

Hi guys,

Apologies that the above responses have not answered your questions. I will look into this further and get back to you asap.

Thanks for your patience and apologies about the delay.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

In my local branch, since this new machine was installed, the queue for the machine is out the door while there is not even one customer at the teller. Customers are having trouble using the machine & are not familiar with it & need help but the help is not available. Older customers are not able to use those machines. Whats happens if one has poor eyesight, its press this, press that?? I am not old but I remember when I first started using a computer, I was very nervous pressing buttons. Its terrible all the Bank charges & not a bit of appreciation. What happens if one has a load of coins to lodge?

• Advertisement

Hi Linda, Any update on this ?

Hi eg lmk1,

As already advised terms and conditions apply solely to products. However it is not bank policy for a cashier to refuse to give you cash out of your account, providing there are funds. If you would like to advise us of the branch concerned we will contact them directly.

Apologies about the delay.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Hillbloom,

Thanks for your post. Staff should be available to assist customers who may be unfamiliar with the new machines. If this wasn't the case during your last visit, please PM us with the name of your local branch and we will be more than happy to pass your feedback on to them.

Coin lodgements will still be accepted over the counter. Under normal circumstances you should be able to lodge coin into your account at any time. In some cases, if a customer is looking to make a deposit of a significant amount of coin, individual branches may request that a customer make an appointment to help minimize the impact on other customers.

In some of our smaller branches, cash desk services may not be available on certain days. You can check the Branch Services Update on our Branch Locator to see what days cash services are available at your local branch.

Thanks
    Pat

Thanks Linda. I appreciate you checking on this. My father (aged 81) has been
    banking in the Oughterard, Co. Galway branch for over 50 years and just recently
    has been told by the cashier that he cannot withdraw money from his account at
    the cashier and had to use a bank machine. This has caused him much stress as
    he has never used ATM machines before. He questioned this with the branch
    manager and was told the same. Hence I said I would look into this issue for him
    as at this stage he is considering moving to a bank that will actually serve him.
    Could you let me know when you have contacted the bank so that I can let him
    know he can go back there and have a cashier deal with his request.

Hi eg lmk1,

Thank you for letting us know the branch. If your father visited the branch on a Wednesday or Thursday, Oughterard branch has no cash days on these days.
    Branches which have cashless days all have Lodgement ATM's which allow customers to do both cheque and cash lodgements. You will be provided with a receipt from the machine when lodging money in this manner. If you have any issues lodging money, please don't hesitate to ask a member of staff for assistance.

You can find all details of branches services here.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

Thanks Linda. Yes, I saw that. I'm fairly certain its always a Friday that he
    goes there. But I will mention this to him.

Hi Linda,
    I have another query that is somewhat related. This morning my father went to
    his local branch with his credit card bill and cash to pay it. He was told by the
    cashier that he "had to do this on line" and she couldn't do it without his credit
    card which he did not have with him. She offered to hold onto his cash until he
    went home to get his credit card. He obviously refused to do this. I find this
    absolute abhorrent behaviour and almost verging on bullying. If my father had his
    bill and the cash in his hand why would the cashier not accept this cash in payment of the bill.
    I am most annoyed by the treatment by my father and at this stage if I am not seeing some kind of positive action by Bank of Ireland on this matter I will be going
    to the financial ombudsman on this and the previous matter - as well as all our
    family closing the multiple accounts that we presently have with Bank of Ireland
    and taking our business to a bank that actually treats their customers with
    respect.

Hi eg lmk1,

We are implementing some changes in our branches which will allow easier banking and we appreciate customers' patience while these changes are being introduced.

The branch cannot accept credit card payments over the counter. I have passed your frustrations at this change to the branch network. Customers can make payments to their credit card using the lodgement atms, standing order, direct debit or Banking 365 phone and online.

Thanks
    Linda

We are implementing some changes in our branches which will allow easier banking and we appreciate customers' patience while these changes are being introduced.

It would be nice if these changes could be communicated in advance to customers.
    Also, I think my father would very much disagree that these changes are making it
    easier for customers to bank considering he drove for 10 mins to get
    to his branch and came away from that branch still not having paid his bill.

I understand that having internet banking, lodgement machines etc make life easier
    for alot of people. But likewise, for elderly people who in alot of cases don't even
    know who to use a mobile phone let alone a computer this is far from making it
    easier. And considering they have been customers of BOI for alot longer these
    changes are in no way for the better.

Hi eg lmk1,

Apologies that your father had this issue when he went to the branch.

We understand that some customers feel uncomfortable using the lodgement atms and staff in the branch are happy to support customers with these and show how they work. Also Banking 365 agents are happy to assist golden years account holders with transfers through Banking 365 phone services.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement

I think my father would say the staff in branch begrudgingly offer help rather than
    being "happy to support". I did some research on line and find that you can pay
    an MBNA crediit card bill in your local post office so I will be recommending that he
    close his BOI credit card account and open one with MBNA instead.

By the way. How do you go about cancelling a bank of Ireland credit card ? I presume there is a machine in branch to facilitate this ?

Hi eg lmk1,

We are sorry to hear, due to these changes, that your father wishes to close his credit card account.

To close his credit card he can call credit card customer services on 0818 251 251. A representative will be able to organise the closure of the account. Alternatively, your father can visit his nearest Bank of Ireland branch or send a written request to Account Closures, Bank of Ireland Credit Cards, 2nd floor, Operations Centre, Cabinteely, Dublin 18.

Thank you
    Linda

Thank you. I will give him this information. I can't but notice the irony that you can go to a cashier in branch
    to close your credit card account but they cannot accept money from you to
    pay your credit card bill !! It does seem that Bank of Ireland is a bank that does not
    want to engage in personal banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

eg_Lmk1,

I have followed your posts with interest but don’t know where to go from here. I have had an account with AIB for about 40 years and now, ‘in order to make banking easier’ they are closing the busy local branch and replacing it with a travelling van – a throwback to the nineteen seventies.

This branch has been open through good times and bad and seems to me to be busier than ever. Down through the years there was a small number of staff and they spent most of their time serving customers at the counter. Now there is a very large staff and very few at the counter. Maybe they have a lot of corporate customers to look after but I don’t think that is the case so I can’t understand why the majority of their customers have become so unimportant as to be treated almost with contempt. I do not blame the staff because they are very courteous and helpful at all times but there are obviously some out of touch individuals sitting in a fancy office in Dublin who don’t give a hoot about how their short-sighted decisions are affecting the majority of their customers.

I had been considering opening an account with Bank of Ireland but in light of your father’s experience I will reconsider. Ideally, the Credit Union would be the place where I would prefer to do my banking business and maybe the C.U.s should be given permission to take up the slack if the banks no longer want to bother with the needs of their customers.

Hi solas111
    Yes, I despair. I really don't understand the "logic" behind these decisions. I agree
    with you about seeing all the staff at the bank - but only a few serving. For elderly
    people, people with disabilities (sight, hearing) etc being told - "it's easy ... just do this this and this" is frankly patronising. I think you are right about the credit unions. Customer service is still important to them - and they even open in the evenings and weekends to facilitate people who work 9-5.30pm.
    Good luck with your decision. I am also thinking of my options.

Solas111, I'm afraid what's happening with AIB is also happening with BOI. It's nice to be made aware of the self service options, but these days it's normal for the cashiers to actively nag people into using the machines. I fully agree with eg_lmk1 - it saddens me to see bank staff pulling elderly people out of cashier queues, going through the machine process painfully slowly, clearly confusing* the person they're supposed to be helping. From what I've seen, not only does it take longer for the customer to get their business completed, it holds up the queue of people who are actually interested in using the machines.

I'd also back the idea of using a credit union as much as possible. The only machine at my CU is a single ATM, and the service I get there is quick, friendly and convenient each time.

*Of course, not every elderly person is confused by the machines, but a lot of the people I see dragged off to them obviously have little to no interest in learning how to use them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

eg_lmk1 wrote: »
    Thank you. I will give him this information. I can't but notice the irony that you can go to a cashier in branch
    to close your credit card account but they cannot accept money from you to
    pay your credit card bill !! It does seem that Bank of Ireland is a bank that does not
    want to engage in personal banking.

Well let's wait and see. I went to close down a BOI current account. I queued at the teller until she told me I had to do it at customer care point. Customer care then told me I had to meet with a specific person to shut my account down who wasn't around until later. I told them I didn't want to meet anyone other then to have my account shut down and I wouldn't be back later as I was on my lunch break now. She wandered off to look for some one but said I'd have to come back tomorrow. I said no as today was the last day to close before fees kicked in. Eventually another member of staff saw me and asked could she help and she shut down my account for me eventually. All really silly to be honest.

Hope you father has less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi all,

We understand each and every one of your concerns and thank you for taking the time to post. We're feeding your experiences back to our Branch Network to make them aware of these genuine customer feelings in relation to the changes. We're continuing to provide a full nationwide branch network and a strong local presence, while committing to providing a superior customer experience. We appreciate this may not have been the case for you recently and would like to apologise for this.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

It's pretty disappointing to think that you can't go into your bank with your credit card PLUS cash and pay off a bill.

But whatever about forcing younger customers to do use online or ATM services, forcing customers over 80 to do this is just plain wrong.

I'm not sure why Bank of Ireland thinks it can treat the elderly this way and not lose customers. Both the elderly and all of their families.

John

Advertisement