Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms and Conditions of in branch banking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Cloud wrote: »
    It's pretty disappointing to think that you can't go into your bank with your credit card PLUS cash and pay off a bill.

But whatever about forcing younger customers to do use online or ATM services, forcing customers over 80 to do this is just plain wrong.

I'm not sure why Bank of Ireland thinks it can treat the elderly this way and not lose customers. Both the elderly and all of their families.

John

Cynically I'd say it's because older customers dont pay fees (retired) so why bother having to support them at a high cost. But I'm sure BOI will strenuously deny this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi John,
    It's pretty disappointing to think that you can't go into your bank with your credit card PLUS cash and pay off a bill.

Just to clarify, if you go into a branch with your credit card, you can pay your bill with cash using the Lodgement ATM.

Thanks for your feedback,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Okay Graham - I should have added "at the counter".

The whole point of this thread is that many elderly people don't want to use ATMs, don't want the embarrassment of having a helper, want to be independent, and can't necessarily use online banking.

So they should have the option of carrying out normal activities - taking out cash, paying cash into a CC, at the desk.

We understand where you're coming from John. In individual circumstances where a customer, young or old, can't use an ATM or Lodgement machine, branch staff are there to assist in any way they can. However, we continue to promote our self-service and 365 phone/online options, which have proven very popular with the majority of our customers who find them more efficient and easy to use.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Promoting services is fine - forcing them on people is acceptable - forcing them on people who can't use them is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 eg_lmk1

Assistance is fine Graham but what about people who are hard of sight or hearing.
    Personally I don't feel comfortable with someone assisting my father in the bank when they have to shout instructions at him so he can hear them and everyone in the bank is then able to hear what his transaction is and potentially even details of his account, pin number, credit card details, how much he is withdrawing from his account, how much he is lodging etc. This to me is a security risk and one which my father and other people should not be exposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Promoting services is fine - forcing them on people is acceptable - forcing them on people who can't use them is not.

Indeed and considering there is a charge for transaction now, the BOI line nazi's should be told to back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Here's the thing. Personal banking costs BOI more than it's worth to them. By migrating people away from the cashiers to online banking/telephone banking/ATM and lodgement machines they do not have to replace the staff who have taken voluntary redundancy recently. What I can't understand is why frontline staff go along with this, rendering them useless in the long term and probably up for the next round of redundancies.
    Also, have the latest processes of migrating customers to in-branch technology based transactions been extended to commercial/business customers? Highly unlikely, as this is where the real money is made in banking, and if the business customer wants a personal service, they get it.

Hi eg lmk1,
    eg_lmk1 wrote: »
    Assistance is fine Graham but what about people who are hard of sight or hearing.

As previously mentioned:
    In individual circumstances where a customer, young or old, can't use an ATM or Lodgement machine, branch staff are there to assist in any way they can.

This would also include customers who are hard of sight or hearing.

Hi Glenn Coco,
    Glenn Coco wrote: »
    Also, have the latest processes of migrating customers to in-branch technology based transactions been extended to commercial/business customers?

The recent service changes apply to both Business and Personal customers and are about making branches more efficient in how they do their business given that there are staff leaving the organisation. We have also made a significant investment in our Branch Network and refurbished many of our branches around the country.

Thanks again for everyone's feeback,
    Graham

Thank you Graham.

I accept that there are people on hand to help assist customers that are hard of
    hearing or sight impaired. However the points I am making are:

1. The new facilities for performing these transactions are in the branch - in alot of cases right beside the queue for the cashiers. So when a BOI cashier is explaining
    the system to a person everyone in the queue can hear the details of what
    transaction is taking place and therefore it is not private and also a potential security risk.

2. That there are a demographic of your customer base that no matter how many times they are shown how to use such systems will not be able to use them. Not everyone is technology savy no matter how "simple" the system is. So for example, every time my father needs assistance from a cashier in performing these actions he would have been served three times over at the actual desk -
    and would be minus all the stress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi eg lmk1,

We understand your queries and frustrations regarding the changes in the branches.

We do have an option of phone banking for Golden Years customers if they do not feel comfortable using Banking Online. If you would like to pm us your father's details, we can organise someone to call him and go through the phone service with him. They will be able to see if it is a suitable option for your father.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

This, not able to pay cc bill over the counter without the cc happened to my OH today. We are clearing the cc bill and we have cut the cards as we do not use it anymore. We were able to pay before with no problems. This is a very stupid idea. I do not trust machines with my money. Please get someone to reverse this silly idea of not being able to pay bills over the counter.

Thanks Linda.
    However as mentioned before - my father is hearing impaired so going on the
    phone trying to show him how to bank over the phone when he has banked in
    a branch using a cashier for 50 years just isn't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi halkar,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We will pass on your feedback regarding the change to our Branch Network. One option would be to pay your credit card using 365 Phone or Online Banking. Once this has been set up you would no longer need to take time out of your day to visit a branch.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi eg lmk1,

Apologies this is not an option for your father. As previously advised, any of the branch staff will be happy to show him how to use the lodgement machines. I understand you are worried about the security of using the lodgement machines but the branch will only be explaining how to use the machine and do not have to announce what business he is doing.

Apologies again that any of our suggestions are not suitable for your father. Since your father is hard of hearing and has difficulty seeing as per your posts, there are special arrangements for these customers. It would be best for your father to request a meeting with the branch manager or customer service manager to discuss options that are available to him regarding his banking.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Voice of reason

Halkar, you don;t trust machines to handle your money? You've never used an ATM?

Halkar, you don;t trust machines to handle your money? You've never used an ATM?

I would imagine it's to do with the electronic lodgement of money rather than the withdrawal.

It's the same principle. Either the lodgement/withdrawal is transacted correctly or it's not.

It's the same principle. Either the lodgement/withdrawal is transacted correctly or it's not.

Not to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

Banking is not a free service. I rather hand my cash to the counter than drop in a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

If i have to pay 22c for ever transaction, i'm going to the cashier. I'd rather pay to say hello to someone than a faceless machine..

and people wonder why it's getting more expensive to bank................................

Advertisement