Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange clouds over west coast

Options
  • 01-12-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

1200 UTC today, I looked up and viewed a rather rare cloud type.
    What was the pressure system over the country at the time would anyone know?

These clouds where very uniform for miles (as far as the eye could see) and they where very high up. Cirrus of some kind mabey?
    They where very flat and cotton wool like (kinda). Its very hard to describe them but I would love to know the name of the type of clouds if mabey someone could tell me.

Viewing Location : Inishturk Island of Mayo Coast.

It was a beautiful site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Picture speaks a thousand words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

youi wrote: »

These clouds where very uniform for miles (as far as the eye could see) and they where very high up. Cirrus of some kind mabey?
    They where very flat and cotton wool like (kinda). Its very hard to describe them but I would love to know the name of the type of clouds if mabey someone could tell me.

It was a beautiful site.

Were they anything like this? (not my pic)

230978.jpg

If so then it is Altocumulus you are describing but cannot be sure but I did note some high based patchy Altocumulus sheets here (inland west) earlier this afternoon very similar in structure and height in the pic above.

Some detail on Altocumulus clouds here on my wee cloud site :)

http://www.skiesofireland.com/cloud-classificaton/mid-clouds/altocumulus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There were some nice undulating cloud formations over Galway around 1pm so probably something similar

Something like this although not as dramatic

altocumulus-cloud-formation.jpg

and an area that looked like this, again less dramatic

undulusasperatus4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

youi wrote: »

It was a beautiful site.

You're lucky in that Inishturk is slap bang between the two synoptic stations of Mace Head and Belmullet. Unfortunately neither are manned so cloud type was not reported but the automated synop reports quoted broken cloud at at 20,000 and 18,000 ft, respectively. This would be at around -30 C, which would usually be too cold for Altocumulus, but satellite imagery for the area confirms opaque cloud at 6-7000 m, meaning it probably was Ac.

This MODIS image shows the patch of Ac in the area but also some cirrus ice cloud (blue shade), which would be higher up.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2012336.terra.721.500m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Saw this in west Clare too at around 1pm. was altocumulus like but patch quilt like than the standard ac. very purdy all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 youi

Thanks guys.

It most have been "AC" as you all suggested. That NASA link is fantastic.

It was pretty amazing I thought.

Great forum

Advertisement