Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family unfriendly/friendly restaurants

Options
  • 01-12-2012 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I've gone to 2 restaurants in recent weeks with my wife and son only to be refused entry ....we couldn't leave junior outside:D

But it got me thinking....Is business for these places so good that they can refuse customers.

So to save the for us all. Can people add to this the places that don't allow children ..not just in Dublin

To kick off
    1. The MV Cill Airne - Dublin - no under 18's
    2. Davey Byrnes - Dublin - no under 7's

We ended up going over to the Duke today after DB's refuses us and had a lovely carvery. The staff couldn't have been more helpful to the point were the waitress grabbed us table while we maneuvered the buggy up the steps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The MV Cill Airne don't allow under 18s on the grounds of Health and Safety. It bull but they can do that I think.

Davey Byrnes on the other hand have no such excuse. While they could insist that you can't have the child in a buggy for space reasons discriminating like that could well be unlawful (assuming this was not after 8pm). Give the Equality Authority a call and they'll take it up if it is unlawful. http://www.equality.ie/en/Contact-Us/

I personally can't understand how any business can turn away custom in this climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I dunno, when himself and me have a night to ourselves the last thing we want is some couple rocking up to an eatery with their sprog in tow. We go to a few local places that are buggy friendly but when we're lucky to have a minder we go to very buggy unfriendly places! Not everyone wants to eat their lunch or dinner with a load of kids-I know before I had kids and sometimes even now I'd be seriously p!ssed off with some places for letting kids in. Especially after about 7pm, who wants to listen to other people's little darlings on a rare night out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Id have no interest in going to a restaurant where there are children. I have in the past asked to be re-seated rather than be stuck beside a table where a child in a high chair had been stripped to the nappy and was flinging food about to the general (drunken) hilarity of his family.

I dont think licensed premises are suitable places for children. Even if the parents of the child are decorous themselves, I dont think children witnessing drunken behaviour is appropriate.

And to add to lazygals point above, on a rare outing (too expensive these days), Id like not to have to suffer other peoples children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You go to Spain and they fly the doors open for kids and are so attentive to them...but the Irish...if most got their way thered be a parent and child segregated zone like the old smoking zones.

Seriously? moving tables and huffing because a couple dare to bring their child to a restaurant?

As for the OP I wouldn't generally bring my kids into the city centre...mainly because of the same attitude as appears in the previous 2 posts. most places in dundrum are lovely...particularly siam thai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The Church on Jervis/Mary St is buggy unfriendly too.

• Advertisement

Seriously? moving tables and huffing because a couple dare to bring their child to a restaurant?

No. No need to be disingenuous. I quite clearly stated a child stripped to the nappy in a high chair flinging food. If you are happy to sit next to that then thats your business but I dont get to eat out often and when I do I prefer to have a peaceful meal. Nor did I 'huff', I simply requested a table change. Id do so if I were seated next to the loo, the kitchen or anything else that was going to interfere with my enjoyment of the meal Im paying for.
    ...mainly because of the same attitude as appears in the previous 2 posts.

Its not an 'attitude', if Im out paying for a meal I prefer to have a nice meal without being disturbed by other peoples children, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I don't even have kids but I've come up against this problem, wanted to have a significant family celebration but the first six restaurants refused to allow the grandchildren, the seventh seated us in a freezing cold attic room.

I have absolutely no problem with kids in restaurants or pubs so long as they behave as if they are in restaurants or pubs and not as if they are down the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

The church isn't particularly buggy friendly but the staff are extremely child friendly every time I've been there and are more than happy to manoeuvre around buggies.
    +1 on places in dundrum. We find wagamama very child friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Id have no interest in going to a restaurant where there are children. I have in the past asked to be re-seated rather than be stuck beside a table where a child in a high chair had been stripped to the nappy and was flinging food about to the general (drunken) hilarity of his family.

I dont think licensed premises are suitable places for children. Even if the parents of the child are decorous themselves, I dont think children witnessing drunken behaviour is appropriate.

And to add to lazygals point above, on a rare outing (too expensive these days), Id like not to have to suffer other peoples children.

This attitude is sadly prevalent- in restaurants, on planes and so on. Some members of the public are d*cks- if you don't want to take the risk you might have to interact with them, then stay at home.

And as for children witnessing drunken behaviour- the problem is with the p*ssheads, not the kids. It's like the way it used to be with smoking- everybody else had to suffer the smokers. People shouldn't be p*ssed in public, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

For a while, a few years back, the worst offenders were communion/confirmation lunchers getting locked and leaving it to the 7 year old or the granny to get everyone home.

We used to go back every year to our wedding venue for our anniversary, Three years back we were cutting back on cost so we went for lunch instead of dinner. Most of he adults MUST have been drinking since early morning because they were all messy within 15 minutes of sitting down, leaving 2 bewildered 5-8 year olds to their own devices and a nursing mother and tiny baby to get pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

lazygal wrote: »
    I dunno, when himself and me have a night to ourselves the last thing we want is some couple rocking up to an eatery with their sprog in tow. We go to a few local places that are buggy friendly but when we're lucky to have a minder we go to very buggy unfriendly places! Not everyone wants to eat their lunch or dinner with a load of kids-I know before I had kids and sometimes even now I'd be seriously p!ssed off with some places for letting kids in. Especially after about 7pm, who wants to listen to other people's little darlings on a rare night out?

I never mentioned the time we went to eat.
    The mv was 5pm and Saturday was for lunch.
    As for kids running around. We had ours in his buggy for the duration. if parents are drunk and their kid is causing chaos that 1 issue, but a family out for a meal and the child being upset and crying is totally different.in the last 2 years I've become very tolerant of kids crying in restaurants and on planes.

No. No need to be disingenuous. I quite clearly stated a child stripped to the nappy in a high chair flinging food. If you are happy to sit next to that then thats your business but I dont get to eat out often and when I do I prefer to have a peaceful meal. Nor did I 'huff', I simply requested a table change. Id do so if I were seated next to the loo, the kitchen or anything else that was going to interfere with my enjoyment of the meal Im paying for.

Its not an 'attitude', if Im out paying for a meal I prefer to have a nice meal without being disturbed by other peoples children, thats all.

Me being disingenuous? you're the one who opened your initial post in the thread by stating you wouldn't go to a restaurant where they serve children.

I'm sure the people with the kids would prefer you eat elsewhere too so its not great loss. they're paying too and deserve to enjoy their meal without onlookers making them feel uncomfortable because their youngsters aren't the epitome of appropriate table etiquette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I Like child friendly restaurants so I know where to go if I'm dining with children and where to avoid if I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I never mentioned the time we went to eat.
    The mv was 5pm and Saturday was for lunch.
    As for kids running around. We had ours in his buggy for the duration. if parents are drunk and their kid is causing chaos that 1 issue, but a family out for a meal and the child being upset and crying is totally different.in the last 2 years I've become very tolerant of kids crying in restaurants and on planes.

I've become less tolerant because I know how annoying my child is to others when she's crying. If I go to the trouble of organising a babysitter and booking to go for a meal in the evening, the last thing I want is children around me. That's why there's certain 'family friendly' places we avoided before we had children and avoid now when its just the two of us. Obviously on a plane there's not a lot you can do but we don't hang around if our child is a nuisance to others. Case in point, yesterday we went for coffee, herself woke up and started fussing, rather than inflict her crying on others himself moved her to the car while I settled the bill, coffees and cakes only half enjoyed. Not everyone loves seeing kids coming in the door and some places want to preserve their reputation as adult rather than child centered.

Me being disingenuous? you're the one who opened your initial post in the thread by stating you wouldn't go to a restaurant where they serve children.

I also specifically book adult only hotels for holidays and would prefer adult only flights if they were available. I dont see why preferring the company of adults when I am relaxing is an issue? I dont have children, I dont intend to have children, I have no desire to be around other peoples children. If I choose to spend money in an establishment Id prefer it to be in the company of other adults.
    I'm sure the people with the kids would prefer you eat elsewhere too so its not great loss. they're paying too and deserve to enjoy their meal without onlookers making them feel uncomfortable because their youngsters aren't the epitome of appropriate table etiquette

Theres no need to personalise. I find it difficult to believe than anyone would like to sit next to a large group where a toddler was stripped to the nappy and flinging food about to the general drunken hilarity of the table. Its certainly not my idea of a pleasant evening out. I doubt the people in question even noticed my request to move table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Lazygal & Username123 why don't you name some of the places you go to then that don't allow kids so the rest of us know not to go there with the kids? I thought this thread was to name places not moan about "sprogs/little darlings" in public.

For the record I wouldn't bring my small baba out after six because I know she'd be a crank but it's nice to bring her out during the day.

Back on topic,
    The Lobster Pot in Carne, Wexford - unfriendly/kids generally not allowed (great food though).
    Chocolate - Wexford Town - friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Let's try and keep it civil. Attack the post and not the poster, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I have no desire to be around other peoples children. If I choose to spend money in an establishment Id prefer it to be in the company of other adults.

The onus is 100% on you then to make sure that the place you're going is child-free. Turning up somewhere and then complaining there are children there....well, tough! Likewise on planes- there will be kids, some of them will be cranky, suck it up- you're being flown thousands of kms after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Even though our little lad knows how to behave in a restaurant (he's 8) we only ever go for early bird with him. Just don;t think it's appropriate to have kids in pubs/restaurants after 7 - it's adult time after all.

Salamanca on Andrew's street and El Porto on Sth William Street are both very child friendly (though don;t know about getting buggy's in there) as is Buenos Aires

MrCreosote wrote: »
    .....well, tough!......suck it up.....

Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement

I also specifically book adult only hotels for holidays and would prefer adult only flights if they were available. I dont see why preferring the company of adults when I am relaxing is an issue? I dont have children, I dont intend to have children, I have no desire to be around other peoples children. If I choose to spend money in an establishment Id prefer it to be in the company of other adults.

Theres no need to personalise. I find it difficult to believe than anyone would like to sit next to a large group where a toddler was stripped to the nappy and flinging food about to the general drunken hilarity of the table. Its certainly not my idea of a pleasant evening out. I doubt the people in question even noticed my request to move table.

Huh? I didn't realise I was personalising it. you dont fancy kid friendly restaurants yet take exception when that sentiment is reciprocated ...bit pot and kettle...no?

I don't know why you're broadening your scope of adult only zones the thread was pretty specific. and as I said its this kind of attitude that you wouldn't get in other countries.

Huh? I didn't realise I was personalising it. you dont fancy kid friendly restaurants yet take exception when that sentiment is reciprocated ...bit pot and kettle...no?

Well you did. You said:
    I'm sure the people with the kids would prefer you eat elsewhere too so its not great loss.

I said I didnt like children in restaurants, I did not refer to anyones children specifically, you referred to me specifically.

You did not reciprocate a sentiment, I made a general point, you made a specific comment against me.

Anyway, Im out of this thread because some people seem to find it offensive that some of us prefer the company of adults when we are paying for a rare evening out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lazygal & Username123 why don't you name some of the places you go to then that don't allow kids so the rest of us know not to go there with the kids? I thought this thread was to name places not moan about "sprogs/little darlings" in public.

For the record I wouldn't bring my small baba out after six because I know she'd be a crank but it's nice to bring her out during the day.

Back on topic,
    The Lobster Pot in Carne, Wexford - unfriendly.
    Chocolate - Wexford Town - friendly.

That was the original point of me opening the thread. If people want to moan about kids in restaurants...please take it elsewhere.

THis was so those of us who take kids out with us at a reasonable time in the day know where we will be refused entry because we dared have a family and haven't got a baby sitter for a lunch time meal.:D

RIRI wrote: »
    Just don;t think it's appropriate to have kids in pubs/restaurants after 7 - it's adult time after all.

The OP has already stated that Davey Byrne's turned them away at lunchtime.

It's illegal to have kid in pubs after a certain hour (either 8pm or 9pm) but lunch? If people can't handle kids having lunch in the same pub/restaurant then they should eat at home imo. If kids are running amok then have a word with the staff and the staff should have a word with the parents but banning kids from a pub/restaurant is beyond wrong.

That was the original point of me opening the thread. If people want to moan about kids in restaurants...please take it elsewhere.

THis was so those of us who take kids out with us at a reasonable time in the day know where we will be refused entry because we dared have a family and haven't got a baby sitter for a lunch time meal.:D

Mod Note: read the bold bit above - R&R or AH would be best for those posts. This is about places that don't allow kids not - for moaning about not being able to have your cappuchino with a kid crying somewhere in the general vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I had dinner on Saturday afternoon with a group of extended family at a hotel in Nth County Dublin (including our 3 kids all under 5yo and one is newborn) and was told the following by my husband's Uncle who is in his 70s

The problems when eating out are never with the children, its the parents that are the problem. Any children's worst behaviours in public only occur because situations are not being dealt with properly by the adults responsible for them.

We've been eating out with the children throughout our 5 yrs as parents and never been refused/asked to leave somewhere, generally the children are complimented on their behaviour - however we dont take them to Dublin city centre, or take them out after bed time (home before 7pm) and always prepare in advance with books / paper and crayons to keep them happy between courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lazygal wrote: »
    I dunno, when himself and me have a night to ourselves the last thing we want is some couple rocking up to an eatery with their sprog in tow.

I don't think the OP was talking about a romantic night out kinda place. This was daytime lunch. I agree with you on nights, children should be at home in bed anyway, not up that late in a restaurant.
    Our local pub is also the local shop/cafe/everything. I have brought my 1 year old there for lunch a couple of times, and see nothing wrong with it. A sandwich/soup and a cup of tea is what people order during the day. There are no drunk people there during the day, and I don't even think that many in the evening. It depends on the area/pub. I'm no going to bring her to a dive or a nighclub, but a place that does a business lunch trade is perfectly fine.

Edit: I actually try to take kids out to eat in public as much as I can afford when we have time. It's important that they learn how to behave in a restaurant/cafe. From looking at the menu, to understanding that they sit and WAIT for their food to arrive. Even things like how to address a waiter, using a napkin, and putting their knife and fork together on the plate so the staff know to take it away. I see adults who don't know how to behave in a restaurant, mine will not be like that. They have to learn somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Here are a few places in South Dublin who are very child friendly.

Trentuno in Cabinteely
    Ozo's in Dalkey ( FAB kids menu )
    The Hen House Dun Laoghaire
    Mao Dun Laoghaire
    The Orchard in Stillorgan ( best place for sunday lunch with kids in tow )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

marley123 wrote: »
    Here are a few places in South Dublin who are very child friendly.

Trentuno in Cabinteely
    Ozo's in Dalkey ( FAB kids menu )
    The Hen House Dun Laoghaire
    Mao Dun Laoghaire
    The Orchard in Stillorgan ( best place for sunday lunch with kids in tow )

The Gourmet Burger next to the Hen House in DL is also very child friendly. They do a good kids meal which is a little plain burger that comes with toppings the kids can add themselves - they kind of make their own burger. Always fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

MrCreosote wrote: »
    The onus is 100% on you then to make sure that the place you're going is child-free. Turning up somewhere and then complaining there are children there....well, tough! Likewise on planes- there will be kids, some of them will be cranky, suck it up- you're being flown thousands of kms after all.
    I agree!

I've gone to expensive restaurants hoping to have a relaxing meal with my husband or a friend, only to have a table of 12 very loud ladies on a hen night plonked beside me. When you are dining in public you have to accept these things. Live and let live I say.

Advertisement