Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family unfriendly/friendly restaurants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

We've been lucky in that we haven't been turned away from anywhere just because we have our daughter with us. We would only bring her out for lunch or a very early dinner though so I would be shocked if this happened and would be very annoyed! The places we've been to that were welcoming and had high chairs in Dublin are

Market Bar
    The Cedar Tree
    Yamamori Noodles
    Roly's Bistro
    Toscana (Dun Laoghaire)
    Milano

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I try bring the kids out for lunch 2/3 times a month. I think it is good for them and teaches them how to behave in public.
    However if I am going out for dinner at 8/9 at night to a nice restaurant I do not expect or want screaming out of hand kids near me,I do not mind tiny babies or older behaved children.
    Actually badly behaved children at any time of the day in restaurant drive me mad,I do not mind the usual kids being kids during the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublintweety

Pacinos on Suffolk St is very child friendly as are Milanos. Have been bringing my two out for lunch since they were very young (10 years) & have never had a problem anywhere. Wouldn't bring them if they weren't well behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Great idea for a thread! I'm looking for some feedback on Jamie Olivers place in Dundrum, has anyone been with kids?

+1 for Toscana in Dun Laoghaire
    +1 for Milano in DL too
    La Strada (although I think that might be closed now)
    Benito's in Dalkey
    Rickshaw in Deansgrange

The Yard - Wexford Town
    Taste - Wexford Town
    La Dolce Vita - Wexford Town
    Robertino's Wexford Town

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Good for kids:
    - The House in Howth (excellent proper food for kids too - I have been told, my baby is too young)
    - McHugh's in Raheny
    - M&S Grafton street top floor (very buggy friendly)
    - Milanos in Ranelagh
    - Market Bar

In the evening past a certain hour is unsuitable for most young children. As a father, I would do my utmost not to disturb other diners with our baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I meet friends and family for lunch and dinner with kids constantly. Obviously we wouldn't rock on in to Chapter One at 10.30 with eight kids.

When it comes to casual dining, it's not a real restaurant if they can't handle kids during the day and early evening, I travel a good bit and it's unheard of in most European restaurants to refuse kids.

The more Irish kids go to restaurants the more they will learn to behave in restaurants, same with people who are unnaturally uncomfortable around little humans, they just need to get use to them.

The last place I was with kids was Koh for lunch... all round thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Lola92- I've been to Jamie Oliver's place twice with my 3 month old. We got a table ok but I have heard of people having to wait longer because they have a buggy as not all tables would fit a buggy. When we asked for a table they were a bit kind of like "Oh you have a buggy..." like it was a bit of an issue but after that it was fine. They did seem to have some little toy type things for children though!

Thanks 0ctober, my girl is 2 and well able for a walk from the car park so I think I will leave the buggy in the car in that case. It will be our first restaurant trip since she is eating on regular chairs rather than in a high chair but she has been fine in cafe's so I don't think it will be a problem. I appreciate the feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is Jamie Oliver's not booked out until nearly Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

January wrote: »
    Is Jamie Oliver's not booked out until nearly Feb?

They only take a certain amount of bookings and the rest is available for walk ins. I went at about 5 one evening and got a table straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A question for you.

Is being refused entrance grounds to take to to the the equality officer.

Or is it just on the grounds of race, religion and gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We've always left Jamie's because of the wait, even without a buggy, so yet to eat there.

Thanks guys, we will be heading somewhere else so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just to add a list of child friendly places for Cork:

In the city:
    The Farmgate in the English Market, both the cafe and restaurant. Nice childrens options, stacks of childrens books on the old piano. Hard to get a buggy up there though, lots of steps, so slings and kids who can walk would be best.
    The Electric on the south mall
    Market Lane, oliver plunkett street
    Gallery Cafe, in the crawford.
    Gino's on winthrop street. Pizza and icecream. It's mainly kids there.

County:
    The Elm Tree, Glountaune, childrens options are half portions of the adult meal, plus options for the usual sausages, chicken etc.
    Fota House cafe
    BunnyConnellans, by the beach in Myrtleville. They give the children colouring books and pencils.
    Fishy Fishy, Kinsale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

A question for you.

Is being refused entrance grounds to take to to the the equality officer.

Or is it just on the grounds of race, religion and gender.

Age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, family status, marital status, membership of travelling community - they are the grounds for discrimination. There are exceptions - e.g. religious (schools, hospitals, etc) institutions can legally refuse to hire you for being in an unmarried 'living in sin' relationship but the list above is the broad stroke.

Pubs have a special situation. To claim discrimination against them you have to go to the district court - the Equality Authority can't take those cases. I learned that, to my disgust, when I made a complaint years ago against the Beaumont Inn when the owner told my partner to go to the toilets to breastfeed one of our twins. This was at 1pm on a weekday with about 10 people in the pub. When I asked him who complained he said he did himself. The group of us got up and left instead. Funniest part was when I was negotiating a double buggy out the door - he just stood there watching. I bumped a wheel of the buggy off the door and he told me to be careful of the door. I told him that if he'd actually hold the door open instead of standing there like an asshole it would be easier ... so he told me I'm barred from the pub. I laughed in his face and asked him if he ever actually expected me back there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Really Orion. I didn't know that about pubs.

It was brought in about 9 years ago because of the massive amount of cases brought to the EA by Travellers seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Orion wrote: »
    Age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, family status, marital status, membership of travelling community - they are the grounds for discrimination. There are exceptions - e.g. religious (schools, hospitals, etc) institutions can legally refuse to hire you for being in an unmarried 'living in sin' relationship but the list above is the broad stroke.

I just emailed them. I'll let you know the result :D..we need some evil emoticons on this forum:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

marley123 wrote: »
    Here are a few places in South Dublin who are very child friendly.

Trentuno in Cabinteely
    Ozo's in Dalkey ( FAB kids menu )
    The Hen House Dun Laoghaire
    Mao Dun Laoghaire
    The Orchard in Stillorgan ( best place for sunday lunch with kids in tow )

Thanks for that, last tie I lived in Dublin I was not a parent so although I' very familiar with areas, not so much family friendly venues. Which would you say is the most reaonably priced?

It was brought in about 9 years ago because of the massive amount of cases brought to the EA by Travellers seemingly.

That is concerning, it seems it makes access to justice that bit more difficult. Disgraceful re the breastfeeding, it's not like anyone can see any boob anyway!

• Advertisement

That is concerning, it seems it makes access to justice that bit more difficult. Disgraceful re the breastfeeding, it's not like anyone can see any boob anyway!

Justice works both ways and Travellers, in general, are very litigious in this regard. I can understand the reasons even if I disagree with them.

Justice works both ways and Travellers, in general, are very litigious in this regard. I can understand the reasons even if I disagree with them.

Personally I have no problem wih 'travellers in general' or any citizens in general having easy access to the justice system, and it is a constitutional right to have access to the system. Anyhow that's a whole other conversation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Child friendly: +1 for Milanos; also Nandos is great too. My kids like chicken:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we have a 3 year old who since she was born has been coming out with us to meet her dads uncle for dinner in restaurants usually at 6.30 or 7pm.

as she never used a high chair a few establishments were a bit shocked when the realised she was a child and sitting on a normal chair but never were we refused entry, she is well mannered and disturbs no-one and we haven't had to ask her to behave once in years, its down to the parenting and i think its highly unfair children like my daughter would be judged to be the same as the food throwing monster.

our favorite child friendly restaurant would be scoozis in Cork and we go there most often as the manager knows us well at this stage, they provide a menu with colouring segments and crayons for all the children and you can even win a free meal from their colouring competition...

we used also like amicus but the one nearest us closed down.

other restaurants we've eaten with her have been:

greenes on Mccurtain street, (not very child friendly we were there for a graduation but they didn't object to her being there, again staff were surprised she was so well behaved)

carlton in Kinsale for mothers day, it looks like a not very child friendly setting but they had no problem with her being there and had the dessert in a take home toy elephant cup.

the viaduct child friendly and they have a massive fish tank that the children loved watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We went out for lunch with Sam for the first time on Wednesday at Elephant and Castle in Templebar. The staff were great and very accommodating of both his pram and him. I didn't need to feed him there but I can't imagine it would have been a problem. Personally I mightn't take him there in his pram for Sunday brunch as it's usually incredibly busy and I'd feel too awkward to relax but other than that it's a great place to go with a family.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have to give a huge thumbs up to Cortinas in Dundrum, we've taken our son there since he was born (massive pregnancy burrito cravings didn't let up after the birth :o) and they've always been really accommodating. He's 17 months now and literally eats anything on the menu, but they've got a kids menu for €7 and they give colours and picture stuff to kids there too.

Others we've had great meals at are:

Roly Saul - Dundrum
    Gourmet Burger Kitchen - Liffey Valley
    Swai - North Wall Quay
    Yo Sushi - Dundrum
    Harvey Nicks Cafe - Dundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

O Sheas pub in Templebar refused us access one day , when we were in Dublin for weekend.We were told by staff that if the restaurant was quieter,they would have no bother accomodating us.
    Its a disgrace.
    Templebar is meant to be tourist friendly we were disgusted.

Some family friendly places in Cork are:
    Clancys Restaurant
    Scoozis
    O Briens Sandwich bar on Paul Street
    EDEN Thai Restaurant on Patrick Street.

There is nothing worse than being treated like a 2nd class citksen because you have a baby/child.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

O Sheas pub in Templebar refused us access one day , when we were in Dublin for weekend.We were told by staff that if the restaurant was quieter,they would have no bother accomodating us.
    Its a disgrace

Sounds like they were packed or had no high chairs left or not enough room left for a buggy or the place was too rowdy for a baby. Maybe they just had no tables left! They can't turf people out for you!

To be hones with you, they did you a favour, it's not a restaurant, it's a pub in temple bar, notorious for day time boozing, hens and stags. I'd put a bit more thought in to choosing where to eat next time, hundreds of family friendly restaurants in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Over the past couple wks have had VERY positive experiences in both Jamie Olivers & Wagammas in Dundrum. Catered perfectly for families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

It is selfish and anti-social to bring screaming children to a restaurant where they will ruin everyone elses experience. Granted, a lot of children are well behaved, but there are parents who let their feral children act like wild animals in public. I completely understand the logic of restaurants that do not allow children.

Advertisement