Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to make a living from 10 acres

• 01-12-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I'm open to ideas.
    I have 10 acres close to Kinsale, a large insulated barn, 2 tractors, one on a hedge cutter (this is what I'm living off right now) and access to all kinds of farm equipment.
    No loans on the property and I'm living on it in a mobile home.
    I could just rent it and get a job and also rent the barn.
    No, feck that idea.
    So, I was thinking veggies, maybe a green house. I have a half acre I could cover.
    I am also thinking about a small campground and as we are close to the ocean, renting kayaks to campers.
    I'm also willing to take on a student with a degree in horticulture.
    Ideas............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

When you say close to Kinsale and camp ground..

What side are you on?.. Sally port side or sandycove side?

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAtocork

By the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

the only water i know by the hospital is the river in brownsmills??

would be a viable camp site too

hedzball wrote: »
    the only water i know by the hospital is the river in brownsmills??

would be a viable camp site too

Naw, your way off. More up the Bandon river. The "hospital side" of Kinsale, not by the hospital itself.

Where are you located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thats no more than a glorified gardening book..
    I have one and wouldn't rate it at all...

I'd say 10 minutes on Google would find the same information and keep your money in your pocket.. :mad:

bbam wrote: »
    Thats no more than a glorified gardening book..
    I have one and wouldn't rate it at all...

I'd say 10 minutes on Google would find the same information and keep your money in your pocket.. :mad:

Yep.
    I can survive on a garden, I want to make a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Have you talked to people like the Milleens cheesemakers, for instance - they'd give you good advice because they've been down the same road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cannotdisplay

could christmas trees be an option on a few or most of the acres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

That guy on ettg last week seemed to have a good set up with the wheat grass & sprouts on an acre & half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

What's the story on growing wood for pellet stoves? Are there any numbers available to indicate whether or not there's money in this product in Ireland?

Wood pellet stoves took off big time a few years back - but I held back to see if demand would build up to the extent that there'd be a reasonable sized market for the pellets. I've quite soft ground (same way that water is soft!! ;)), and thought that it'd be good for growing willow or something similar.

Would that work for you CAtocork?

Anyone well informed on this one?

lanod2407 wrote: »
    What's the story on growing wood for pellet stoves? Are there any numbers available to indicate whether or not there's money in this product in Ireland?

Wood pellet stoves took off big time a few years back - but I held back to see if demand would build up to the extent that there'd be a reasonable sized market for the pellets. I've quite soft ground (same way that water is soft!! ;)), and thought that it'd be good for growing willow or something similar.

Would that work for you CAtocork?

Anyone well informed on this one?

Anybody have any info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

CAtocork wrote: »
    Anybody have any info?

The people to ask about this would be the Eco-Villagers in Cloughjordan - I'd go and talk to them rather than emailing. They installed wood pellet stoves in all of the houses built, so they're probably the most concentrated group of experts in the country.

Also very interesting to talk to, because they've used all kinds of building and insulation for the greenest possible houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

The people to ask about this would be the Eco-Villagers in Cloughjordan - I'd go and talk to them rather than emailing. They installed wood pellet stoves in all of the houses built, so they're probably the most concentrated group of experts in the country.

Also very interesting to talk to, because they've used all kinds of building and insulation for the greenest possible houses.

I was down there a few times the eco village is all heated by one wood chip boiler they use softwood chips from a local enough sawmill.

Advertisement