Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Desktop PC (Best Buy)

Options
  • 01-12-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I am looking to buy a desktop PC for some light engineering work.

I was hoping for;

3.4 GHz or better chip
    64 bit Windows 7 or 8 Professional
    8 GB or more RAM
    1 TB Hard Drive
    Needs to support two or more screens

I have a Lenovo laptop, and I really like it, but I don't mind what make once its reliable.

I was hoping to spend less than € 700 (Dont need this to include screen, keyboard, mouse etc...)

All advice welcome.

Thanks,

Larry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 UCDEamon

You'll get better value if you build the PC yourself, it's very easy, it's just like putting a few bits of lego together, it's not really possible to do it wrong. Here is a good, up-to-date guide. Use one of the straight builds there, or mix-and-match and report back with what you've chosen and we'll tell you if it's a good choice or not.

Guide.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How about this?
    The Rechner - Zusammenbau in the list for €20 means they will put it together for you

Item|Price
    ASRock B75 Pro3-M, Sockel 1155, mATX|€60.57
    16GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24|€61.85
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.95
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.41
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€128.09
    Intel Core i5-3550 Box, LGA1155|€188.48
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€81.89
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Basic|€59.99
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€18.82
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€714.04

More RAM and Hard drive space than you stated that you needed.

Also a solid state drive( remove it if you want to lower the price under 700 )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

loconnell wrote: »
    3.4 GHz or better chip

Just so you know, frequency no longer has any real relation to performance of processors. There are examples where a 1.7ghz i7 would be twice as powerful as a 3.4 ghz processor. The only realistic way to compare processors now is using a benchmark tool or list such as cpubenchmark.net

• Registered Users Posts: 23 loconnell

Hi Eamon/Gary,

Thanks very much for your comments.

However I don't think I know enough about this stuff to order a custom build from a third party.

I was hoping for a recommendation for a stock or custom unit from Dell or Lenovo etc...

To be honest I don't really understand most of what you have written.

Sorry.

Larry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think it's difficult for us to recommend a system from someone like Dell or Lenovo.

Just for example I helped put together a i7 system for my friend recently, it cost €600. I checked the Dell website and they were charging €1300 for the same specifications. Many of us on here won't have any experience of dealing with these companies because of their prices compared to buy individual parts.

In your first post you listed what you wanted ram, hard drive, processor ect.. so you seem to have an idea of most the parts that make up a pc.
    Also like I said the site I linked to parts from will build the system for €20 .

• Advertisement
Advertisement