Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Fares Something has to be done.

Options
  • 01-12-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

The new bus fares are a joke and something has to be done about it..

2.80 for a bus home is Awful.

that is nearly 6.00 Euro to get bus to town and back home.

and as for the Leap Cards.....

WHAT 40 cent savings...

They can go take a leap for themselves...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well I suggest you start talking to the government first.

They have:
    1) Reduced the subsidy paid to the transport companies
    2) Capped the DSP payment so that the companies are not being paid per passenger
    3) Forced the companies to pay for the back office costs of operating LEAP themselves

Add all of those to rising fuel costs and the question is how do the companies bridge the gap?

There is only so far that cost cutting can go (and yes it certainly can go further).

You can avoid paying €2.80 cash by either:
    1) Using a LEAP card - fare would be €2.45 or €4.90 return
    2) Using a Dublin Bus Rambler ticket - 30 day (non-consecutive) ticket costs €115 currently or €3.83 per day. It will go up to €125 in January but that still is €4.16 per day.
    3) Get a taxsaver monthly/annual ticket and save even more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The new bus fares are a joke and something has to be done about it..

2.80 for a bus home is Awful.

that is nearly 6.00 Euro to get bus to town and back home.

and as for the Leap Cards.....

WHAT 40 cent savings...

They can go take a leap for themselves...

€2.80 isnt that dear to be honest for a lift home.

Eh it is a lot when you have to do it every day of the week.

But as I am blue in the face posting here people can avoid paying the cash fares by using LEAP, or prepaid tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well I suggest you start talking to the government first.

They have:
    1) Reduced the subsidy paid to the transport companies
    2) Capped the DSP payment so that the companies are not being paid per passenger
    3) Forced the companies to pay for the back office costs of operating LEAP themselves

Add all of those to rising fuel costs and the question is how do the companies bridge the gap?

There is only so far that cost cutting can go (and yes it certainly can go further).

You can avoid paying €2.80 cash by either:
    1) Using a LEAP card - fare would be €2.45 or €4.90 return
    2) Using a Dublin Bus Rambler ticket - 30 day (non-consecutive) ticket costs €115 currently or €3.83 per day. It will go up to €125 in January but that still is €4.16 per day.
    3) Get a taxsaver monthly/annual ticket and save even more
    He could get himself a drug problem and go free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

dowlingm wrote: »
    He could get himself a drug problem and go free...

In these depressing times if you could feed your habit for €5.60 a day, we'd all be on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well if Roboshatner was paying €2.80 today,may I assume he was paying €2.65 yesterday ?

So....today,mr Shatner has the means to pay €2.45 for the exact same journey,(Less than what was paid yesterday)yet finds it objectionable..?

It was interesting today to bear witness to how obtuse a race we can be,as so many people reacted indignantly to being advised how to save (substantially) on the Fare they were paying yesterday.

My day was made,however,by the German couple,who having researched the net and discovered the new fare structure, took the necessary action by getting a Leapcard...and then giving a little masterclass to a group of natives in the lower saloon on how to use it...CLASS !!!!!

It,perhaps,puts the reasons they are bailing us out into stark perspective.... :rolleyes:

However it also underlines just how poor the Leapcard brand identity still is,with most people I spoke with being totally unaware as to where to get one.

Today,of all days,should have seen the NTA using the same part-time staff who were collecting data on the streets for the past 10 days,roving around the City and on buses,isuing FREE Leapcards or signing folks up for further contact.

But in the absence of any such pro-activity,they could at least manage a redesign of their Logo to make it visible to intending purchasers....at least make the Leap frog bright yellow rather than the spectacularly well camoflaged green on green currently used.

The people with the greatest reason to moan today were the pre-existing Leapcard holders who took a hit,when they should have been kept artificially low...yea,subsidised,in order to realize the benefits of the RFID card itself.

However,the message has to be hammered home,that the only ones paying the higher rates of Cash Fare Increase are those who CHOOSE to do so.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Irish people will put more effort into complaining about something than they will into taking steps to remedy it themselves.

It's always a 'disgrace' and 'something' should be done about it and any attempt at providing a solution that involves a bit of self reliance and initiative is met with 'ah shure, I know nothing about that'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart I do agree almost wholly with your post above except that I feel re-branding and a full relaunch with a lot more functionality like the ability to load all seasonal tickets and daily weekly and monthly capping is the only thing that can save the leap card from a spectacular leap to the bottom of the charts in terms of public transport ticketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

AlekSmart wrote: »
    However,the message has to be hammered home,that the only ones paying the higher rates of Cash Fare Increase are those who CHOOSE to do so.

Or who live outside the Pale. :p

(Love the rest of your post though ... great people, the Germans!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

AlekSmart wrote: »

It,perhaps,puts the reasons they are bailing us out into stark perspective.... :rolleyes:

Actually it is the Irish taxpayer who is bailing the Germans and their 'Save the Euro' obsession out.

I agree about the LEAP Card - the brand identity is a disaster and needs to be improved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

The fares are expensive if you are on minimum wage and need to get to work. Even with the LEAP card discounts these people are being really screwed. It's not good and they have my full sympathy.

The reason why the fares are going up is the likes of Alex do not have to take a pay cut.

Not being arrogant or picking on Alex personally. But that's the truth of it and it is not fair to be smug to the original poster who has a legitimate complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

When i first moved to Dublin the lowest DB fare was 0.80, that same fare is now 1.65, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

iDave wrote: »
    When i first moved to Dublin the lowest DB fare was 0.80, that same fare is now 1.65, just saying.

And the cost of everything else has stayed the same over that time has it?

Vic_08 wrote: »
    And the cost of everything else has stayed the same over that time has it?

No but has everything increased over 100%?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

it's not the full town journey that is the worst part of it imo, I used to get the bus to work quite regularly (but would walk home) even though it's not that far but would still save me a good few minutes, but now even just a few stops has you up to what, over 2 euro? used to be like 1.15 or something for, fúckin stupid.

iDave wrote: »
    No but has everything increased over 100%?

Petrol? beer?

I know it was nearly a decade ago but I remember starting in DCU and getting the 11, 13, 13A, 19A etc from the DCU gates on the Ballymun Rd. I'd pay 1.20 and that would get me to O'Connell St. Now 1.20 wont even get me on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

I know it was nearly a decade ago

A decade a go, crude oil was less than a third of the price of today. Buses run on oil. That said, air fares are a lot less now than a decade ago and I suspect fuel is a far higher proportion of cost at an airline than a bus company. On the other hand, an airline can simply cut unprofitable routes which DB can't.

On the subject of Leap cards, their functionality on buses is poor. It would be much quicker to tag on when boarding and off when disembarking. To combat fraud, if there is no tag off within a certain time limit, then apply a standard penalty fare to the card next time it's used to tag on.

Regrettably Irish people have a bizarre loyalty to outdated brands and traditions, such as using cash to buy bus tickets, but a large scale push campaign for the Leap card should pay dividends in increasing useage dramatically, whilst the proper implementation of a functional onboard system would much improve dwell times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Have the 2011 accounts been published yet? If so what progress has been made on the wage bill to turnover ratio as I believe wages were higher than the companies total turnover for the year previous?

What is the average wage in Dublin Bus these days anyway?

Less than what it was last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DB wage bill for 2011 was €180,962,000 for 2010 it was €187,562,000

Revenue for 2011 was €167,200,000

Subsidy for 2011 was €73,032,000

Fuel for 2011 was €31,285,000

DB carried 117 million passengers in 2011.

So yes wages make up by far the biggest expense at DB.

Interestingly going back to the oldest annual report I can find which is 2003. but contains data for 2002.

Wage bill for 2002 €139,243,000

Revenue for 2002 was €149,097,000

Subsidy for 2002 was €56,063,000

Fuel for 2002 was €10,447,000

DB carried 145 million passengers in 2002

So since 2002 to 2011 fuel went up €20 million and wages went up €40 million. But revenue went up €18 million and subsidy €17 million, while carrying 30 million less passengers per year!!

So in 2002 it costs €958,000 in wages to carry a million passengers.

In 2011 it cost €1,530,000 in wages to carry a million passengers, that is almost a 60% increase in wages per passenger cost!!!

This tells me that wages are by far the biggest factor in the increase in DB ticket prices. With most peoples wages having returned to 2002 or 2003 levels, it looks like DB wages need to do the same.

Just increase ticket prices with ever falling passenger numbers isn't going to save DB from this death spiral. It really looks like they may need to take a scalpel to wages and perhaps actually drop ticket prices to attract customers.

If you divide the wages by the number of employees for the year end to December 2010, you get an average wage. That number? €52,656.

For comparison average wage at Bus Eireann is €50,623, Irish Rail is €53,108, both figures to the last available accounts that I can see until the end of December 2010. Not sure what the company name of LUAS is so can't post that.

How do the private operators compare on average salary?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To sumarise my post above, increased fuel prices are a red herring. While they play a part, it is a small part.

DB's biggest issue is a massive increase in wages with a big decrease in passenger numbers.

It looks to me that DB's policy of increasing ticket prices to make up for increasing wage bill and falling passenger numbers isn't working, it is just chasing more passengers away and making things work.

Looking at these numbers it is clear that the solution is to radically cut wages, while attracting passengers (with lower ticket prices?).

Obviously that will be painful for the staff, but it looks to be unavoidable.

Lothian Buses are often held up as being an example of a well run public bus company, their average wage is £34,076 per year, at current market rates €42,765 would be the average pay. Their pay is one of the more generous operators in the UK also.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    €2.80 isnt that dear to be honest for a lift home.

It wouldn't be if that lift was reliable, frequent and safe but depending on the route none of those words may apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

They should open the transport to competition. Not all government run competition. Firstly, if a private bus company sets itself up, there should be tax breaks for investment in new buses, wi-fi etc. What DB have done in the past is put a DB bus on the route and once again become a monopoly in bus transport. Private bus companies should be allowed to compete. Doing that, services would increase, prices would come down and so would the cost for the taxpayer.

You then privatise Dublin bus allowing a fully private bus transport system with funding for a small number of routes if they are strategically important but not economically sustainable by themselves.

devnull wrote: »
    Lothian Buses are often held up as being an example of a well run public bus company, their average wage is £34,076 per year, at current market rates €42,765 would be the average pay. Their pay is one of the more generous private operators in the UK also.

Which interestingly would bring DB's staff cost down to €143 million, just slightly more then the 2002 level.

I would imagine that the full implemetation of the EU working time directive had a significant negative impact on wage costs too during that period, it's not quite as black and white as you suggest when comparing with earlier years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Soon the Nightlink will be the cheapest bus home:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't think pushing the cost of transport onto the end user is per se a bad thing. However, what is a bad thing is the way DB have gone about it. From the shoddy implementation of the Leap Card to the virtual stealth increase this weekend (I knew about it, but the amount of people who didn't was huge obviously - zero advertising of the increases). I really do think DB missed a trick here in terms of converting a large amount of passengers to cashless tickets had they kept Leap fares at there pre Dec 1 levels and not increased the Ramblers/T90s etc. The fact that you can't top the card up online too is insane as far as I'm concerned. The technology has to exist for that to be possible. It has too.

Advertisement