Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lisence , conditions

Options
  • 01-12-2012 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

:confused:got me grant letter and under condition it said shoot on and the name of the club that i paid my insurance through but im also a member of two other clubs and have a lot of permissions. does this mean i can only shoot on the lands mentioned or what the fo said when handing it in i only needed to give a membership card for one club but this on the letter had me worried any one know the story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

snipe02 wrote: »
    :confused:got me grant letter and under condition it said shoot on and the name of the club that i paid my insurance through but im also a member of two other clubs and have a lot of permissions. does this mean i can only shoot on the lands mentioned or what the fo said when handing it in i only needed to give a membership card for one club but this on the letter had me worried any one know the story

no just the nargc membership card should suffice, photo copy it and send it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

no just the nargc membership card should suffice, photo copy it and send it in
    ya i did and it states the name of the club on it but only one thats what i mean sorry didnt make it clear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

snipe02 wrote: »
    ya i did and it states the name of the club on it but only one thats what i mean sorry didnt make it clear

ya that will do you,the name of the gun club and proof of membership, it is to prove you have somewhere to shoot,you can still shoot elsewhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

On a grant letter there are three "boxed" areas at the top. The first on states;
    That the conditions as set out in Section 4 of the Firearms Act, 1925 as substituted by Section 32(4)(2) of the Criminal Justice Act, 2006 have been complied with.

The second is blank, and the third states;
    On Payment of a €80 fee within 30 days, your Firearm Certificate, vaild for three years, will be forwarded directly to you by post. See below for manner of payment. Please note payment cannot be made at a Garda Station.

Are you saying that your Super set out conditions on the grant letter, most likely in this second boxed area?

If so then s/he has imposed the condition that you may only use the firearm in the area(s) outlined within those conditions, and in keeping with the areas you supplied when applying.

If they used the permissions you gave as just cause for wanting the firearm, but were not "concerned" about if you had more they should have left this box blank.

I'm not "up to speed" having never seen a grant with conditions imposed or received one. It does sound familiar though. I have heard of people being granted licenses (old ones, and new 3 year ones) with conditions such as set areas/lands/permissions that the firearm may only be used in, that the firearm can only be used on a range, and not outside one for hunting, even to the extent that the firearm may only be used outside the country, etc.

If this is the case an conditions have been set then if you are "caught" outside the lands set in the conditions you would be in breach of the conditions of your license, and guilty of an offence.

A quick, and definite way to check is to contact your FO, clarify the matter, and if it is the case that conditions have been set provide details of the other permissions, and clubs you shoot on, and ask that the conditions be removed or widened to incorporate them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

What Ezridax is saying is correct.
    All my grant letters have conditions.
    ON my shotgun and vermin rifles it states.
    That gun club membership/permission to shoot on lands are valid for the duration of this licence.
    On my deer hunting rifles it states that I must hold a deer hunting licence for the duration of this licence.
    Take the advice given and go back to them about it.

• Advertisement

ye i asked when applying did need to supply all and was told no . then when letter arrived it had it in the second box annoying or what will have to go back and sort it have an answer thanks a million lads

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Its important that you give as much information as possible when applying for your licence as conditions vary from one garda station to another.
    For example if you are a member of a target rifle club and have a rifle but also want to use it for hunting tick both boxes on your application and give details of your target club membership and gun club membership or land permission where you intend to use the rifle.
    The conditions on my licences are fair enough as they are relevant to the information I gave but yours seem a bit harsh and would cause problems if imposed in my area.
    For example local gun clubs in our area get together regulary to hunt foxes in each others land.
    This woukd not be possible with the conditions imposed on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That's the first time I've ever heard of a condition stating that a hunting firearm can only be used on specific clublands. I've had the old version stating "is a member of xyz gunclub" but the use was never limited to these club lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Get another permission , ask to have your license amended and keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Maybe you filled in section 5.2 fca1 by mistake?

• Advertisement

called in was told it does not affect the rest of my permissions work away she said the new super is filling in that part but it will not have any impact happy with that i am

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That's good news Snipe, but one word of warning. The "sure ye'll be grand" attitude is worthless if caught unless there are NO conditions on your license or you have some sort of letter to say the conditions that you say are on your license do not actually apply.

Just saying, better safe than sorry.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    That's good news Snipe, but one word of warning. The "sure ye'll be grand" attitude is worthless if caught unless there are NO conditions on your license or you have some sort of letter to say the conditions that you say are on your license do not actually apply.

Just saying, better safe than sorry.
    thanks Ezridex I will definitly ask for it in writing, your right they cant really say no, but in fairness i do trust them and dont think she would openly say it twice and in front of witnesses unless she was sure.

they just got back to me taday and said they are sending out a new one with the conditions removed the super did mean only to shoot on the club mentioned and not mny other permissions but its being changed to any other permissions the fo said they are really cracking down on lads shooting on lands without permission in and around kilkenny have to say the firearms crew in kk garda station are sound and very good to deal with

Advertisement