Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming places after politicans

Options
  • 01-12-2012 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I see from the local papers that there is a bit of a barney over Faheys Field / O'Sullivan Park being renamed after a deceased local politican ( sorry no link). and I dont want to personalise this thread. No offence to anyone in particular but I object to anything being named after any politican and especially when its being pushed by politicans. They have been paid plenty well and there are plenty ordinary decent Galweigans who left bigger legacies to the city and its people at alot less cost if any cost at all, Chick Deacy is the most recent example and he deserved the credit he got and to have Terryland park named after him. But there are more than a few in the City Council currently who I cring to think might ever have even a child named after them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I see from the local papers that there is a bit of a barney over Faheys Field / O'Sullivan Park being renamed after a deceased local politican ( sorry no link). and I dont want to personalise this thread. No offence to anyone in particular but I object to anything being named after any politican and especially when its being pushed by politicans. They have been paid plenty well and there are plenty ordinary decent Galweigans who left bigger legacies to the city and its people at alot less cost if any cost at all, Chick Deacy is the most recent example and he deserved the credit he got and to have Terryland park named after him. But there are more than a few in the City Council currently who I cring to think might ever have even a child named after them.

In fairness to the late Mrs O'Flaherty (mother of the current city councillor) she probably did more for Galway in her time as a city representative than Chick did for Galway on the soccer pitch.

I have no problem with naming things after politicians, the just have to have done enough to warrant it e.g. the Jack Lynch Tunnel in Cork. In fairness to the late Mrs O'Flaherty (mother of the current city councillor) she probably did more for Galway in her time as a city representative than Chick did for Galway on the soccer pitch. However that also neatly packages up the issue for me - it was her job to do contribute to Galway and I can't recall her dong anything particularly meritorious to justify much in the way of a dedication.

I wonder what justification is being given - did she help get the land for Mervue Utd in the 60s when the club was formed or something? If it's only because she's from the Mervue/Renmore area, then it's not enough i.m.o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I guess they can do what they like and they normally do, Joe Public is generally a pushover and deserves the politicans they get, no wonder the country is in the pits

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Why not compromise and name the Galway sewerage treatment plant after a politician. After all, they are both full of crap.

solas111 wrote: »
    Why not compromise and name the Galway sewerage treatment plant after a politician. After all, they are both full of crap.

Have a public vote to decide who should get the "honour"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'd have no problem with a politician having a public area named after them, as long as the renaming was appropriate to the work the politician did, or was asked for by the local community.
    "FIDELMA HEALY EAMES PUBLIC TOILETS" would be an apt example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd have no problem with a politician having a public area named after them, as long as the renaming was appropriate to the work the politician did, or was asked for by the local community.
    "FIDELMA HEALY EAMES PUBLIC TOILETS" would be an apt example.

you must really hate those toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

you must really hate those toilets

I might grow to love them if they were renamed

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Rename Eyre Square as Crowe Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

It wouldn't kill me if the playing fields in westside are named after a man who sees them from his front garden, Michael D. in future times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Well at least they're not calling them after bloody priests anymore or gunmen. Which is progress of sorts. I don't agree with calling them after politicians either.

With due respect to the lady concerned, unless she was a standout person. Then it shouldn't happen. Asit is I never heard of her despite living in the area for a while.

The problem with Galway and Ireland generally is that we have few heroes. Is there a significant Galway sports person it can be named after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Places or buildings should not be called after politicians. the opportunity for mutual backscratching is obvious

bluecode wrote: »
    Well at least they're not calling them after bloody priests anymore or gunmen.

Fr Griffin was shot by the tans, so if there's a problem with that then there's a problem with, well all of "old" Mervue.

Which means that, given that most of the people involved were killed by an illegal government, a bit of cop on is required by people with that attitude.

Advertisement