Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitor not working

Options
  • 01-12-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hi all

i am trying to connect my tower to a monitor but nothing is showing on my screen. the power light comes on. when i power the monitor off and turn it back on it works for a couple of seconds and then the screen goes blank again.

any help would be very much appreciated.

thanking you in advanced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

have you checked that the monitor works ok on another pc?Also make sure your graffix drivers are up todate and also check that its connected correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mobyfitz20

hi logic bear, i tried it with another computer and the same thing happens. there's def a problem with the monitor just dont know if thers something i can do.

thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Possibly some bad capcitors in it, I replaced 4 capacitors in one of my Samsung monitors that started doing this (cost about €3/4 for the 4 capacitors in Maplins) and it works fine now :) . If you know anyone who is good at soldering its a straightforward enough job

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

time to buy a new monitor... its likely a capacitor has blown in the monitor. if it is not under warranty open it up and if you see swollen capacitors then u could try replacing them... but unless you know what your doing it could be cheaper just buy a new monitor. have a look on adverts.ie you might find a cheap secondhand one there

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mobyfitz20

thanks for the replies guys, i wouldn't mind give it a go and replacing the capacitors. would i be just better off replacing all the capacitors as i'm not sure what a bad one looks like. i'm pretty ok at the soldering.

how would you know a bad capacitor?

thank u some much again for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bad caps would be bulging or leaking like here:
    Badcaps-tayeh-4.jpg

Just open the monitor up, locate the power board where the caps should be and investigate which need replacing, the top of capacitors should be level, any sort of bulging or leaking it needs replacing. Just be careful as there is the risk of electric shock if you touch the wrong capacitor obviously. :)

Nick

Advertisement