Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White-tipped bulbs for fairy lights?

Options
  • 01-12-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

For sentimental reasons, I want to get a set of old fairy lights working again. I'm figuring either the fuse in the plug or the white-tripped fuse bulb is gone. Anyone know where I could get one of the latter?

photoui.jpg

P.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

oceanclub wrote: »
    For sentimental reasons, I want to get a set of old fairy lights working again. I'm figuring either the fuse in the plug or the white-tripped fuse bulb is gone. Anyone know where I could get one of the latter?

photoui.jpg

P.

Any of the big DIY stores (homebase,woodies,B&Q),EuroGiant,Dealz and a few leccy wholesalers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The white tipped bulb is fused, so you can't replace it with a normal bulb.

Might be something wrong with the lights when it is blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Any of the bulbs gone will also cause the string of lights to not come on.

A non contact tester might tell you where along the set, that the bulb, or at least the first one (if more than one) has failed.

Failing that, get a 12v supply and remove and test each bulb in sequence, starting with the fused ones first. They are a pain in the back side in reality.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Any of the bulbs gone will also cause the string of lights to not come on.

A non contact tester might tell you where along the set, that the bulb, or at least the first one (if more than one) has failed.

Failing that, get a 12v supply and remove and test each bulb in sequence, starting with the fused ones first. They are a pain in the back side in reality.

Thank god for led lights.:)

paddy147 wrote: »

I know. Was sick of bulbs gone myself. All leds now. I put some on one of them micro chips and added my own flashing and dimming sequences for the laugh on 3 cheap sets I got.

The led ones are far better alright.

• Advertisement

I know. Was sick of bulbs gone myself. All leds now. I put some on one of them micro chips and added my own flashing and dimming sequences for the laugh on 3 cheap sets I got.

Question for you Robbie.....

If one of the LEDs goes,does the whole set fail then???

Ive not had a set fail on me yet,so Im just wondering how the LED Xmass tree lights work.

Thanks.:)

Question for you Robbie.....

If one of the LEDs goes,does the whole set fail then???

Ive not had a set fail on me yet,so Im just wondering how the LED Xmass tree lights work.

Thanks.:)

They certainly wont all go off if one LED open circuits, there are different ways of connecting LED`s, all in parallel, or in groups of series connected ones, with the groups all in parallel. If a single LED failed, only others directly in series with it would also go out.

Its likely they are all in parallel for christmas tree LED strings, and so one LED failure would leave the rest working, unless the failure is a short circuit, in which case the whole set would be affected, along with the controller/power supply.

A break in the actual wiring inside the insulation would be a lot more likely than a LED failing probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

dingding wrote: »
    The white tipped bulb is fused, so you can't replace it with a normal bulb.

Might be something wrong with the lights when it is blown.

AHHH I always wondered why some had a white tip lol I assumed they were just odd ball bulbs they put on. I never realised they had a significance. Learn summit knew every day

Well ........Yesterday,. got the mountain of lights down...... NOW Jesus did i take care taking while putting them away last year. How in the name of god did they knot themselves up and all stop working while sitting in the attic???!!!
    NEVER NEVER again getting those fairy lights. 4 hours arsing around with different bulbs and each set had slightly different bulbs INFURIATING.
    Can anyone recommened a lights set that WILL WORK for at least 2 seasons lol.:mad:

Well ........Yesterday,. got the mountain of lights down...... NOW Jesus did i take care taking while putting them away last year. How in the name of god did they knot themselves up and all stop working while sitting in the attic???!!!
    NEVER NEVER again getting those fairy lights. 4 hours arsing around with different bulbs and each set had slightly different bulbs INFURIATING.
    Can anyone recommened a lights set that WILL WORK for at least 2 seasons lol.:mad:

Yes I got the LED ones 2 or 3 years ago. Far better as paddy said.

Fairy lights are for the dark ages, literally.

• Advertisement

There will probably be a sale in jan

Yes I got the LED ones 2 or 3 years ago. Far better as paddy said.

Fairy lights are for the dark ages, literally.

Indeed.

Bloody fustrating too....:D

The LED lights from Lidl work very well.

A 200 indoor/outdoor set for 15 euro.:)

You might be lucky to still find a box or 2.

Homestore & More are selling off their indoor/outdoor LED Xmass lights at half price.

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/christmas-lights/tree-lights/icat/spechrlig1trelig/

200 for 17 euro
    100 for 10 euro.

Picked up a set of LED bulbs in home store, Certainly a lot brighter, I would say 3 times as bright as the old style fairy lights.
    I guess when an LED goes there is no way to replace it as there are no spare LED bulbs. but i assume half the set does not shut down or indeed the full set. All in all Wouldnt touch old style filament fairy lights again. My christmas woes are OVERRRRRRR:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

we used to use a 9V battery

first loosen and re-tighten all the bulbs one by one in case it's a loose contact.

TBH fairy lights without a transformer means mains voltage going through the wires and bulbs. Lethal if you crack a bulb or remove one and stick something metal into the socket :eek: Also they eat electricity compared to the LED ones.

Amen - low voltage, and the bulbs aren't a fire hazard, just make sure the power supply is CE / isn't getting too hot.

we used to use a 9V battery

first loosen and re-tighten all the bulbs one by one in case it's a loose contact.

TBH fairy lights without a transformer means mains voltage going through the wires and bulbs. Lethal if you crack a bulb or remove one and stick something metal into the socket :eek: Also they eat electricity compared to the LED ones.

Amen - low voltage, and the bulbs aren't a fire hazard, just make sure the power supply is CE / isn't getting too hot.

On a digital 7day timer and and in a dri-box too.:)

Advertisement