Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my eyes - make it stop!

• 02-12-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

My eyes, my eyes make the pain go away!

Was checking out the latest offerings from the Vintage & Classics on Done-deal, when I came across this interesting piece of american muscle for only €4k ish. Looks OK from the front and side.

View2-16016463.jpeg

but then this for a rear!! OMG :eek: my eyes, my beautiful eyes!!!
    Full-16016469.jpeg

usual statement that I've no connection with seller etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I know a guy who used to own that and believe me it looks no better in real life!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭quattro777

Horrible from every angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I've seen that car on DD before. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on it if I had the spare cash.

A bit of '70s kitch,5 litre V8 & right hand drive. Looks like fun to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

I've seen that car on DD before. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on it if I had the spare cash.

A bit of '70s kitch,5 litre V8 & right hand drive. Looks like fun to me.

Yeah, just make sure the old bicycle chain under the dashboard doesn't break;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The second gen Mustang was an awful looking yoke. Actually so was the third and fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Uuuuuuugly.

Nice wolfie rims, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Im amazed it has a v8, lots of these with weedy 6s and even 4s, oil crisis mustangs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Doesn't look too bad except for the roof.

The colour looks different in the two pictures.

Im amazed it has a v8, lots of these with weedy 6s and even 4s, oil crisis mustangs ;)
    Pfft a yank tank without a v8! If ya have to go yank it's gotta have a v8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

hideous and thisty, but V8 is V8.

a Lick of paint, get rid of the vinyl roof and add bit of 'personal style' twould be a nice little motor, there cant be that many of them in RHD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Looking at the pipes I suspect it is a straight 6....

I bought one of those on ebay while drunk (beer and a V8 = silly purchase). Bought it sight unseen based on pictures and had it put on the ferry in the UK and collected it in Roslare. First time I ever saw the car in real life was on the pier in the dark and rain..

That’s also when I discovered only the front right brake calliper was working...

Was a Mach1 fastback so different rear end to that. Paint was faded and had a hole in the front wing behind the wheel but other than that rock solid. Fixed the hole, resprayed it, serviced it, fixed the brakes, replaced a few minor cosmetic bits, drove it for a while and then sold it and doubled my money.....

Horrible horrible thing to drive. Slushmatic 3 speed, handled like a water bed, and had tiny wheels. It had been upgraded to a 4 barrel Holly carb and edelbrock heads but still had little power (but enough torque to easily spin the wheels and a modified exhaust that have it a deep bass drone)... Easily the most disappointing car I ever bought....

Still miss the sound though

When I took off the rear bumper when doing the respray I nearly dislocated my shoulder, the bloody thing must have weighed 40 kg..

The bonnet also weighed a tonne.. and the doors... The car must have weighed as much as a small truck...

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    hideous and thisty, but V8 is V8.

a Lick of paint, get rid of the vinyl roof and add bit of 'personal style' twould be a nice little motor, there cant be that many of them in RHD

I suspect it was a chain drive connection.. Was a company in the UK doing it at the time so they never changed the steering rack..

The basically cut the shaft under the dash and welded on a sprocket. On the other side they secured the upper part of the shaft and welded a sprocket at the bottom with a chain between the two.

knipex wrote: »

I suspect it was a chain drive connection.. Was a company in the UK doing it at the time so they never changed the steering rack..

The basically cut the shaft under the dash and welded on a sprocket. On the other side they secured the upper part of the shaft and welded a sprocket at the bottom with a chain between the two.
    Probably not as important in that mustang but I'd imagine that in a car that steering feel was an important part of the cars character a conversion of that quality would destroy it.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Probably not as important in that mustang but I'd imagine that in a car that steering feel was an important part of the cars character a conversion of that quality would destroy it.

Power steering systems of the time were horrible anyway with no feel at all and way too light... The conversion didnt make an ounce of difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

the only decent classic V8's are german..

merc 500sec, bmw's 6 series and the porsche 928..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

as far as i know the 6 series came in a straight 6 in all models :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

A friend of mine has pair of 560s, an SEL and SEC, they are amazing cars, oozing build quality and super smooth and comfortable and very powerful.

Worlds apart from the american equivalent, but then again so are potential buyers :rolleyes:

Advertisement