Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honest People Still Exist

• 02-12-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

So, I was just watching the end of a movie and I got a text from my secretarys company mobile to ask if I had a contact number for the owner of the phone, that it was found in Dessies bar. I text back explaining that I was the owner, that my secretary was the keeper. The lady then asked where I was and when I gave my Dublin post code, she said it couldn't be my phone, as the bar is in Cork. LOL

I text to say her partner is from Cork and to check my company website as proof, because both numbers are listed there and my secretary is now on the way to collect the phone. its an iphone 4s, so i'm glad it's not lost now. I do have the iphone lost app and logged in to check location and it was where she said it was. I offered a reward, but she declined and accepted gift vouchers instead for my practice, which i'm very happy to give as a thank you. Faith restored in the kindness of people in unlikely circumstances. I know I would return any lost item, but I know so many wouldn't.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

goz83 wrote: »
    So, I was just watching the end of a movie and I got a text from my secretarys company mobile to ask if I had a contact number for the owner of the phone, that it was found in Dessies bar. I text back explaining that I was the owner, that my secretary was the keeper. The lady then asked where I was and when I gave my Dublin post code, she said it couldn't be my phone, as the bar is in Cork. LOL

I text to say her partner is from Cork and to check my company website as proof, because both numbers are listed there and my secretary is now on the way to collect the phone. its an iphone 4s, so i'm glad it's not lost now. I do have the iphone lost app and logged in to check location and it was where she said it was. I offered a reward, but she declined and accepted gift vouchers instead for my practice, which i'm very happy to give as a thank you. Faith restored in the kindness of people in unlikely circumstances. I know I would return any lost item, but I know so many wouldn't.
    Love hearing stories like this! You always hear too many stories about phone's being stolen etc. As you said above, faith restored in the kindness of people! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

What a touching Christmas tale.

Fair play to you and her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

You would have got it back earlier but I give my secretary the weekends off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

She only gave it back coz it wasn't an iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

now sack your secretary for incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pics of hot secretary or GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I found a smartphone and returned it to the owner. Never offered me a reward though! Returned a wallet to someone a few years ago and got twenty quid. Sweet. I've lost loads of phones and wallets over the years and many times people have gone out of their way to return them to me so whenever I find anything I always try to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Was it your secretary that lost it? I'm lost!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I would have keeping it. Turn off phone. Flash it and use it as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Was it your secretary that lost it? I'm lost!!!

Yeah, she left it at a bar in her partners local watering hole.

• Advertisement

areyawell wrote: »
    I would have keeping it. Turn off phone. Flash it and use it as normal

No such thing

areyawell wrote: »
    No such thing

Knowing how to steal (yes, it's still theft if it doesn't belong to you) and wipe a phone shows me that you have a pretty pathetic view and that's karma in itself. The person who has returned my property will be getting over €1000 worth of services for doing the right thing. Christmas will be half sorted for her. Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

It's a trap, you go to collect your phone and they nick your car, wife and secretary.

Honestly, there is one born every minute !

I think....
    The secretary killed Colonel Mustard in the library with the lead piping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cludo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TheUsual wrote: »
    I think....
    The secretary killed Colonel Mustard in the library with the lead piping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cludo
    Pretty bad that the library still has lead piping in the 21st century, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

pedant head on...it's Dr Black that gets killed....

Esel wrote: »
    Pretty bad that the library still has lead piping in the 21st century, tbh.

Lead piping wrapped in asbestos dust and uranium ore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos#Health_problems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium#Effects_and_precautions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Well - actually - my ex - is from cork. An he sure as hell isn't honest. He's a psychological liar come to think of it.

FYI.

And the irony - I'm one of the most honest people I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

cool story bro ,needs more dragons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Christmas will be half sorted for her. Nuff said.

Alright there Tony Soprano.....

chops018 wrote: »
    Alright there Tony Soprano.....

get her half a selection box instead of a full one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Uck. I'd have returned the phone because it's the right thing to do but I hate people going on about karma and using it like a parent would use Santa or Hell around a naughty kid.

Glad ya got the phone back btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

someone told me once, that her dad, years ago found an envelope outside a bank containing 5k.. went into the bank with it and just as he was leaving the owner of the money came in, cashier recognised him and pointed out the man who had handed it in.. cue 20 quid reward, but the best part is, the finder went to buy smokes, bought a couple of scratch cards with the change of a tenner, and won 500 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I once found a grand a kept it.

Nothing bad ever happe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's amazing that the OP has to state that honest people still exist, being honest is second nature to me as I was raised in a good family. It's only when I went out into the real that I saw how thing work. In my profession particularly I get lies by clients on a daily basis, the trick is to get them to speak straight before they go to court. A District Court Judge will rip a chancer to shreds which in turn embarrasses their solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

It's amazing that the OP has to state that honest people still exist, being honest is second nature to me as I was raised in a good family.

I agree. Is it not basic decency that if you find something that was lost and is not yours, that you try and find who it belongs to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Why do people think that there was more honesty in the past?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Some lady hit my car parked outside my house while she was slowing down to check the house numbers. She called into my house asking "who owns that silver car over there?" when I told her I did she became so apologetic and stated that she had hit my car.

We went out to have a look for any damage. There was minor scratches on the car. Nothing that it wasn't used to already. She insisted on giving me money to pay for the "damages" - despite there being very little of. She refused to leave without giving me money but I said to her that calling into me and being honest was more than enough.

Off she went anyways to the house she was looking for (road parallel to mine).

Later that day I headed off for a weekend of work in Waterford and when I came back on Sunday evening there was an envelope on the hall table with the title "To the owner of the silver car" :)

Turns out the lady had called back the following day and popped it in the letter box.

Inside was a very apologetic note and €350 in cash.

To this day, it's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. Absolute lovely lady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Stealing a persons phone is like sleeping with your best friends woman -

nothing really wrong with it unless they find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'm so sorry but this is definitely a thinly veiled "I am so awesome I have my own practice and secretary" thread. It has feck all got to do with the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

girl2 wrote: »
    Well - actually - my ex - is from cork. An he sure as hell isn't honest. He's a psychological liar come to think of it.

FYI.

And the irony - I'm one of the most honest people I know.

That's my experience with a cork man as well. He was psychological liar and I'm sure he still is.

My sister had the same experience with a cork man too. A massive liar to get his cock rode.

And a friend also had the same experience with a cork man. Her ex was another liar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What is the voucher for???? €1000 to spend on..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

I do have the iphone lost app and logged in to check location.

Does your secretary realise that you can log in and see her location at any time? Sounds a bit much for you to be able do that…

Does your secretary realise that you can log in and see her location at any time? Sounds a bit much for you to be able do that…

So you wouldn't want to know where your phone was if it was lost? Sounds retarded to me given the price of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I found a smartphone and returned it to the owner. Never offered me a reward though!
    Virtue is its own reward though innit
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Uck. I'd have returned the phone because it's the right thing to do but I hate people going on about karma and using it like a parent would use Santa or Hell around a naughty kid.
    I agree; people should act purposefully out of decency and respect for others, and shouldn't require the threat of negative repercussions.

Yea someone who does a good deed in expectation of a reward kind of negates the whole thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

People who do good things scare the hell out of me....

See - I don't steal cellphones, or anything else. I also don't spend large amounts of my time to track down owners of lost cellphones. I've just got better, more relevant stuff to do. I'm indifferent to your cellphone - I don't want to take, I don't care if you have it.

But these people who do good deeds.....they're is something wrong with them. A lot of serial killers and rapists did lots of 'other' nice things. It's almost as if, internally, they are trying to strike a balance between good and evil. 'Oh sure, I killed those girls; but I donated 500 euro to charity. I'm not ALL bad'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

ilovesleep wrote: »

That's my experience with a cork man as well. He was psychological liar and I'm sure he still is.

My sister had the same experience with a cork man too. A massive liar to get his cock rode.

And a friend also had the same experience with a cork man. Her ex was another liar.
    Mad .

Melion wrote: »
    What is the voucher for???? €1000 to spend on..............

Services the woman is interested in after checking my website. Friends and family can also share in the offer, which is a good christmas gift. Saying here would be shilling.

• Advertisement

My property, but yes she knows, the app is on the home screen and can't be deleted. She is not required to keep the phone with her outside of business hours and I've got a life, so tend not to be the creepy spy on my secretary type. I've used the app twice. Once to make sure it was working and once to check the phone location when I got the text to say it was lost. Considering the cost of one, I'd rather have a small chance of recovering it if lost/stolen rather than no chance. Before a cheap phone is suggested, I want to say the iPhone was an obvious choice, as the apps come in very handy for the secretary and its used as a mobile hotspot for use with the laptop she also has for business use.

To the person who suggested some thin veil of "I have my own secretary" or whatever. My response is "pfffffft". I know this is AH and all and I expect a few funny replies (dragons :) ) but that reply is just sad. The story wouldn't have been understandable without including who was responsible for the phone.

Also, i wasn't saying there are more or less honest people than before. I was just saying they still exist, because I've read so many threads about lost iPhones. Just clarifying what I meant there.

Thanks all who took it for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Mad .

They're fcuked down there with low self esteem and massive egos to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Some years back I lost my wallet in Carter's chip shop in Tullamore.
    It took me half a day of sweat, worry and lost work before I managed to trace my steps back to the shop involved.
    A smiling foreign national lady handed it out across the counter into my much relieved hands. [It contained my cash, credit cards and driving licence, among other things, and its loss would have been a personal disaster for me and my family at the time]
    She resolutely refused my offer of a reward.
    One of her grounds for refusing was that it was a customer who handed it in to her after spotting it on a seat.
    I remember her with great affection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

UCDVet wrote: »
    People who do good things scare the hell out of me....

See - I don't steal cellphones, or anything else. I also don't spend large amounts of my time to track down owners of lost cellphones. I've just got better, more relevant stuff to do. I'm indifferent to your cellphone - I don't want to take, I don't care if you have it.

But these people who do good deeds.....they're is something wrong with them. A lot of serial killers and rapists did lots of 'other' nice things. It's almost as if, internally, they are trying to strike a balance between good and evil. 'Oh sure, I killed those girls; but I donated 500 euro to charity. I'm not ALL bad'

Actually I'd say what drives most people to do good deeds is empathy and the brain's willingness to release happy chemicals when people act on it. Or at least it helps. And a lack of empathy is often linked with serial killers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So what was the movie?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And a lack of empathy is often linked with serial killers.

Yeah I saw that show too :)

So what was the movie?

Star Trek :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

found over 500 punts on the ground in an industrial complex., told the security man(but not the amount) and went to canteen to get breakfast.

chap came in , had lost the money and knew the amount. offered me a reward and I got him to pay for the breakfast. nice guy

Whats goes round comes round(or something like that)
    Rugbyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

reading that sounds like me saying I am great, def not intended

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ilovesleep wrote: »
    They're fcuked down there with low self esteem and massive egos to boot.

I'm not sure this makes any sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement