Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honest People Still Exist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'm so sorry but this is definitely a thinly veiled "I am so awesome I have my own practice and secretary" thread. It has feck all got to do with the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

girl2 wrote: »
    Well - actually - my ex - is from cork. An he sure as hell isn't honest. He's a psychological liar come to think of it.

FYI.

And the irony - I'm one of the most honest people I know.

That's my experience with a cork man as well. He was psychological liar and I'm sure he still is.

My sister had the same experience with a cork man too. A massive liar to get his cock rode.

And a friend also had the same experience with a cork man. Her ex was another liar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What is the voucher for???? €1000 to spend on..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

goz83 wrote: »
    I do have the iphone lost app and logged in to check location.

Does your secretary realise that you can log in and see her location at any time? Sounds a bit much for you to be able do that…

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Does your secretary realise that you can log in and see her location at any time? Sounds a bit much for you to be able do that…

So you wouldn't want to know where your phone was if it was lost? Sounds retarded to me given the price of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I found a smartphone and returned it to the owner. Never offered me a reward though!
    Virtue is its own reward though innit
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Uck. I'd have returned the phone because it's the right thing to do but I hate people going on about karma and using it like a parent would use Santa or Hell around a naughty kid.
    I agree; people should act purposefully out of decency and respect for others, and shouldn't require the threat of negative repercussions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Yea someone who does a good deed in expectation of a reward kind of negates the whole thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

People who do good things scare the hell out of me....

See - I don't steal cellphones, or anything else. I also don't spend large amounts of my time to track down owners of lost cellphones. I've just got better, more relevant stuff to do. I'm indifferent to your cellphone - I don't want to take, I don't care if you have it.

But these people who do good deeds.....they're is something wrong with them. A lot of serial killers and rapists did lots of 'other' nice things. It's almost as if, internally, they are trying to strike a balance between good and evil. 'Oh sure, I killed those girls; but I donated 500 euro to charity. I'm not ALL bad'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

ilovesleep wrote: »

That's my experience with a cork man as well. He was psychological liar and I'm sure he still is.

My sister had the same experience with a cork man too. A massive liar to get his cock rode.

And a friend also had the same experience with a cork man. Her ex was another liar.
    Mad .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Melion wrote: »
    What is the voucher for???? €1000 to spend on..............

Services the woman is interested in after checking my website. Friends and family can also share in the offer, which is a good christmas gift. Saying here would be shilling.

• Advertisement

My property, but yes she knows, the app is on the home screen and can't be deleted. She is not required to keep the phone with her outside of business hours and I've got a life, so tend not to be the creepy spy on my secretary type. I've used the app twice. Once to make sure it was working and once to check the phone location when I got the text to say it was lost. Considering the cost of one, I'd rather have a small chance of recovering it if lost/stolen rather than no chance. Before a cheap phone is suggested, I want to say the iPhone was an obvious choice, as the apps come in very handy for the secretary and its used as a mobile hotspot for use with the laptop she also has for business use.

To the person who suggested some thin veil of "I have my own secretary" or whatever. My response is "pfffffft". I know this is AH and all and I expect a few funny replies (dragons :) ) but that reply is just sad. The story wouldn't have been understandable without including who was responsible for the phone.

Also, i wasn't saying there are more or less honest people than before. I was just saying they still exist, because I've read so many threads about lost iPhones. Just clarifying what I meant there.

Thanks all who took it for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Mad .

They're fcuked down there with low self esteem and massive egos to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Some years back I lost my wallet in Carter's chip shop in Tullamore.
    It took me half a day of sweat, worry and lost work before I managed to trace my steps back to the shop involved.
    A smiling foreign national lady handed it out across the counter into my much relieved hands. [It contained my cash, credit cards and driving licence, among other things, and its loss would have been a personal disaster for me and my family at the time]
    She resolutely refused my offer of a reward.
    One of her grounds for refusing was that it was a customer who handed it in to her after spotting it on a seat.
    I remember her with great affection!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

UCDVet wrote: »
    People who do good things scare the hell out of me....

See - I don't steal cellphones, or anything else. I also don't spend large amounts of my time to track down owners of lost cellphones. I've just got better, more relevant stuff to do. I'm indifferent to your cellphone - I don't want to take, I don't care if you have it.

But these people who do good deeds.....they're is something wrong with them. A lot of serial killers and rapists did lots of 'other' nice things. It's almost as if, internally, they are trying to strike a balance between good and evil. 'Oh sure, I killed those girls; but I donated 500 euro to charity. I'm not ALL bad'

Actually I'd say what drives most people to do good deeds is empathy and the brain's willingness to release happy chemicals when people act on it. Or at least it helps. And a lack of empathy is often linked with serial killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So what was the movie?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And a lack of empathy is often linked with serial killers.

Yeah I saw that show too :)

So what was the movie?

Star Trek :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

found over 500 punts on the ground in an industrial complex., told the security man(but not the amount) and went to canteen to get breakfast.

chap came in , had lost the money and knew the amount. offered me a reward and I got him to pay for the breakfast. nice guy

Whats goes round comes round(or something like that)
    Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

reading that sounds like me saying I am great, def not intended

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're fcuked down there with low self esteem and massive egos to boot.

I'm not sure this makes any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I'm not sure this makes any sense.

Overcompensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Well I dunno about yours, but mine was not only a liar, but a sociopath a well (that's my diagnosis anyway :D )!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Where To wrote: »
    I once found a grand a kept it.

Nothing bad ever happe

I once found a kid outside a shop and kept it, nothing bad ever happened me either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

girl2 wrote: »
    Well - actually - my ex - is from cork. An he sure as hell isn't honest.  He's a psychological liar come to think of it.

FYI. 

And the irony - I'm one of the most honest people I know.
    Er... and the point of that post is...?
    I'm so sorry but this is definitely a thinly veiled "I am so awesome I have my own practice and secretary" thread. It has feck all got to do with the phone.
    That's what I reckoned too and I usually hate "I'm so cool and cynical" comments - although I obviously don't know for definite. The story is hardly a big deal though and of course there are plenty of honest people, as there always were.

Your hatred of Cork people based on a handful of Cork dickheads is hilarious and bitter. It's idiocy to think people from a particular region are all a certain way just because they're from that region.
    Get this: I know people who are dicks and come from... various places, including - but not limited to - parts of Cork! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Madam_X wrote: »
    It's idiocy to think people from a particular region are all a certain way just because they're from that region.
    Get this: I know people who are dicks and come from... various places, including - but not limited to - parts of Cork! :eek:

I have to inter-ejaculate all over that. A lot of people from my hometown are a particular type of dickhead. I was once greeted with, "You're from X? You're the first sound person I've met from there."
    I won't knock Cork people but I think certain places definitely breed certain attitudes, especially for small towns imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

This thread makes me feel guilty :(

Found a phone last week and now im using it, never looked for the owner..

Its not a valuable phone but still I should have looked for an owner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Shryke wrote: »
    I have to inter-ejaculate all over that. A lot of people from my hometown are a particular type of dickhead. I was once greeted with, "You're from X? You're the first sound person I've met from there."
    I won't knock Cork people but I think certain places definitely breed certain attitudes, especially for small towns imo.
    Yeh saying there's a lot of whatever trait in a certain area is fair enough, but stating a dislike of all of the people from that area is just pathetic. It's amazing how teenaged some adults can still be. I won't deny there's a breed of arrogant Cork person, but while it's a small city, it's still big enough to have s variety of other people, and plenty who don't buy that stupid People's Republic stuff (although a lot of that is a send-up of the arsey Corkperson - and lol at people who think it's all serious)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭The Dublin Whale

goz83 wrote: »
    She is not required to keep the phone with her outside of business hours and I've got a life, so tend not to be the creepy spy on my secretary type. I've used the app twice. Once to make sure it was working and once to check the phone location when I got the text to say it was lost. Considering the cost of one, I'd rather have a small chance of recovering it if lost/stolen rather than no chance.

but you said you gave the person 1k worth of vouchers, which is more than twice the value of the phone, therefore you would of been better of just buying a new phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I did similar recently in a club in town (Dublin City). A couple stormed off while having a tiff and one of them dropped an iphone on the ground. I tried to go after them but they disappeared in to the crowd. I knew the lad at the cloak room so I just left it with him so they could ring and collect it.

I could have sold it for 200/300, but who really cares about that? I felt better about giving the phone back and hopefully a similar gesture will come back to me in the future!

awaits response telling me i was stupid :D

• Advertisement

but you said you gave the person 1k worth of vouchers, which is more than twice the value of the phone, therefore you would of been better of just buying a new phone

1k worth of my service, which is about 5, or 6 hours work and which will likely result in referrals for my services anyway. It would have been a big inconvenience if I had to replace the phone. Its now back where it belongs.

Advertisement