Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate and heating problems

Options
  • 02-12-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I need advice. I live with two others who are really sound and we all get along BUT our first ESB bill arrived a few weeks ago and it was quite high for a first bill that I immediately started worrying about the next bill. I mentioned about not having the heaters on all the time etc and they agreed.

However, one of my housemates always has their window open, it's never closed unless they go home at the weekends. I've just discovered that the heater in the bedroom is left on the whole time too without the window being closed. This is clearly a waste! So basically I just need advice on how best to approach this subject? Am I entitled to say that they should pay more seeing as they leave the window open and the heating in their room on constantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

That is probably one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. Window open and heating on = massive heating usage = massive bills.

Speak to your housemate and sort it out, really. They need to grow up and start acting like relatively intelligent human beings. Either window open or heating on, NEVER both at the same time. Basic rule to live by unless you're a complete idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 loopychick

Thanks that was just what I need to hear! I hate the thoughts of having this talk but it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If he is actually running a normal wall mounted convection heater, full blast, 24/7, with the window open its going to cost at least 250 quid a month just for that appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres no discussion; you run your heater 24/7 with the window open you pay 90% of the ESB bill. End of story!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Having heater on with windows open is pure stupid. Op do u have oil/gas in the house? Confront house mate about using electric heaters they cost a bomb to run never mind leaving one on the whole time! I was stung once for paying for someone elses electric heater, never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 loopychick

Thanks everyone, had a talk about it and he's still refusing that he's doing anything wrong and that he has to do it. No oil or gas heating in the house. Have to talk to the agency about it so hopefully they'll be able to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Do you rent a room or are you all on the lease of the house? If you all rent the house together then its really up to you to sort it out; I dont think the landlord/agency is going to step in and sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

the esb app (appliance calculator) allows you to calculate roughly the cost of different appliances based on usage.

Show him the app, 100 hours of an electric heater comes out at 294 euro per 100hrs according to the official esb app.

Advertisement