Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who like the classics...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Thats a nice rifle, i had a parker hale midland (bottom of the line model) in 22-250 and it was one of my all time favourite firearms. Parker hale made their own barrels which were excellent as was the finish, like this one it was built on a mauser action. Sarony in london bought most of the parker hale engineering equipment when the blair government finally killed what little remained of the volume gun industry in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Just gorgeous. Plain and simple.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nice to see it appreciated guys. I love those classic Mauser built sporters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

A very nice rifle and practical aswell. I have a nice Parker Hale in .308 with ripple walnut stock, skip line chequering, rosewood fore end and grip cap. Not finished to quite the same standard as the photo though.

• Advertisement

I have a 1912 Mauser Model B in 7x57 that lived in Rhodesia between 1913 and 1990. It locks up like a bank vault door. Nothing fancy, just a real working gun, made with care and attention.

I paid £80 for it at an auction.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

It doesn't get much more classic than this!

Monte Carlo stock?

Monstrosity of an aluminium scope?

Classic? I think not.

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Monte Carlo stock?

Monstrosity of an aluminium scope?

Classic? I think not.

A Rigby-worked 98 Mauser in .275 Rigby? I think so. The scope isn't quite right, but that can quickly be changed. The rifle is a big bag of class though.

A nice 1930s-era scope would do there, I think. I have a few that would suit it but my own Mauser 7x57 [AKA .275 Rigby for the sensitive British out there], has only the sights it came with. Please be advised, those who are critical of the Monte-Carlo stock, that the Mauser Models A and B, from the turn of the last century, had similar stocks - as does mine, of course. No pansy recoil pad, though, after all, it's a light medium-game gun, not a rhino-flattening bruiser. Having said that, there were a number of professional white hunters like 'Karamojo' Bell and Courtney Selous who shot everything from elephant down with the little 7x57 - it's where you put the bullet - a lesson to us all. I can send an image of mine, if anybody wants to see a totally untouched relic from before WW1, to anybody who cares to email me, but not otherwise.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

A Rigby-worked 98 Mauser in .275 Rigby? I think so. The scope isn't quite right, but that can quickly be changed. The rifle is a big bag of class though.

Or a PH 1200 in 7x57 badge-engineered into a Rigby?

And the detail work on it isn't that great - flat-topped chequering, open hole in the bolt handle, engraving looking like it was done in a heel bar. There may be other things, but it's hard to see since the gun has been photographed in the half-dark. Plus the pansy recoil pad, of course.

Don't misunderstand; I accept that the rifle is quite attractive, with some classic aspects, but to say it's as classic as it gets, or "a bag of class" is way over the top.

Part of the attraction is the price, but that's the real give-away, isn't it? If it was really the epitome of a classic rifle from a maker like Rigby the ticket would be a long, long way north of €545.

• Advertisement

Or a PH 1200 in 7x57 badge-engineered into a Rigby?

And the detail work on it isn't that great - flat-topped chequering, open hole in the bolt handle, engraving looking like it was done in a heel bar. There may be other things, but it's hard to see since the gun has been photographed in the half-dark. Plus the pansy recoil pad, of course.

Don't misunderstand; I accept that the rifle is quite attractive, with some classic aspects, but to say it's as classic as it gets, or "a bag of class" is way over the top.

Part of the attraction is the price, but that's the real give-away, isn't it? If it was really the epitome of a classic rifle from a maker like Rigby the ticket would be a long, long way north of €545.

Those comments are fair and accurate, but I like it. I like the classic action and the nice lines. As classic as it gets was an overstatement, but I think it's a pretty nice working hunting rifle and it's that solidity of purpose that's classic to me I guess.

It might be a cheap knock-off to you guys, but it STILL cost more than five times as much as MY Mauser did.

I sure as heck wouldn't kick it out of my collection.

Anyhow, if you want to see what a REAL Rigby-style rifle looks like, have a squint at Ron Wharton's [late of Rigby] site - HIS guns start at around £7000 and then go up to expensive. Last time I was down at his place near Dorking [I took an older gentleman who could not drive, but was having his Rigby altered in the stock] Ron showed me a lump of Circassian walnut that had cost him £10,000. 'Make a nice stock out of that..' he noted.

tac

Advertisement