Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home for the Holidays

Options
  • 02-12-2012 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

...I mean, Christmas!

Heading back home for a couple weeks over Christmas. I just had my H1B approved in September, and know I will need to bring all the docs they sent home with me and back. Question is though, what exactly do I need to do:

1) Before I leave for Ireland
    2) Before I leave to come back to US

I know there's mention of an embassy visit before I return; if anyone has been through the same situation can you just let me know what ye did to make it all run smoothly.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

kaz231 wrote: »
    ...I mean, Christmas!

Heading back home for a couple weeks over Christmas. I just had my H1B approved in September, and know I will need to bring all the docs they sent home with me and back. Question is though, what exactly do I need to do:

1) Before I leave for Ireland
    2) Before I leave to come back to US

I know there's mention of an embassy visit before I return; if anyone has been through the same situation can you just let me know what ye did to make it all run smoothly.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I didn't think there was anything to do to be honest, just bring the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Hey

I am also going through this. I'd advise you to try and get your embassy interview arranged early during your holiday in case there is a delay in processing. The immigration lawyer advised me to bring all the paperwork, plus copies of my payslips and a letter from my employer which verifies my employment and that they are expecting me back at the end of my holiday.

I think before you leave the U.S. you just need to surrender your i94 at checkin in the airport (can someone confirm this for me - is it at checkin or later?). I've heard horror stories that some reps do not sometimes check for the i94 so be sure to mention it to them. Surrender both the original white i94 and the green i94 that comes on the H1B approval notice.

Hey

I am also going through this. I'd advise you to try and get your embassy interview arranged early during your holiday in case there is a delay in processing. The immigration lawyer advised me to bring all the paperwork, plus copies of my payslips and a letter from my employer which verifies my employment and that they are expecting me back at the end of my holiday.

I think before you leave the U.S. you just need to surrender your i94 at checkin in the airport (can someone confirm this for me - is it at checkin or later?). I've heard horror stories that some reps do not sometimes check for the i94 so be sure to mention it to them. Surrender both the original white i94 and the green i94 that comes on the H1B approval notice.

I'm confused do neither of you folks currently have a H1B visa in your passport? If you do then you do not need to go to the embassy for anything. Just surrender your I94 as usual, usually at the gate with your boarding pass when you board your flight out of the US. Returning to the US is no different than the first time you entered on your H1B, same documentation required, maybe a letter from your employer if you want to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I was on the 12 month J1 and then switched to H1B under change of status. If you do this but never leave the U.S, then you don't need to do anything. However if you leave the U.S. and want to come back in, you need the correct visa stamping in your passport. So you need to go to a US embassy in order to get this. I believe it's more of a formality as you already have the status just not the actual visa.

I was on the 12 month J1 and then switched to H1B under change of status. If you do this but never leave the U.S, then you don't need to do anything. However if you leave the U.S. and want to come back in, you need the correct visa stamping in your passport. So you need to go to a US embassy in order to get this. I believe it's more of a formality as you already have the status just not the actual visa.

Ah I see. I was the exact same but went home after my J1 and got the visa before it started and then returned. Yes you will need to go to the embassy then, it's the same as the J1 process really, takes a day or two to get it back also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I just got my H1B stamp in the embassy in Dublin a few weeks ago. I called before even leaving the US to schedule my appointment on the very 1st day I could. I'm so glad I did, because I was up at the embassy, had all my paperwork at hand (approval notice, employment notice, passport, bank draft) and then as soon as I step up I realise I forgot my SAE :(

I had to schedule another appointment and go back 2 days later (lucky for me they're not too busy around October). It then took about 4 working days until my passport with my visa stamp was back in my hand.

There could be up to several weeks waiting time for visa appointments but currently they look good (http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/wait_4788.html?post=Dublin&x=41&y=14)

FYI: I would recommend getting a letter from your current employer confirming your employment. To be on the safe side.

Advertisement