Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Homeplugs

Options
  • 02-12-2012 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering does anyone have any idea about homeplugs?

I have a quick question.

Basically I am wondering whether or not these would be suitable for a medium to large sized network? For instance is the 10 plug limitation due to the power consumption? Or can you have different sets of plugs attached to different switch interfaces?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Ether-Over-Power device work in a HUB network and if you mix and match them they will all drop to the slowest speed.

The 10 plug limitation is due to noise on line and I would not recommend using more then 5 of them.

Also make sure the ones use get have encryption since the signal can leak outside of your fuse board into other buildings.

I used to be able to pickup system from ~6 different apartment in my last place.
    jay-me wrote: »
    Hi just wondering does anyone have any idea about homeplugs?

I have a quick question.

Basically I am wondering whether or not these would be suitable for a medium to large sized network? For instance is the 10 plug limitation due to the power consumption? Or can you have different sets of plugs attached to different switch interfaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

For ten connections buy a box of cat 5 and get planning your routes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What speed can you realistically get out of these?

I'm getting 40meg with a really low ping on a UPC 150meg line using Tp-link N wifi router. House is three storey and UPC connection is down stairs so The TP-Link N wifi router is doing a great job in signal strength.

Part of me thinks 40meg is more then enough and the other part wants the 150 meg (even though I've just moved from 8meg eircom lol). My eletrical plugs are all on the same loop but i'm thinking it will be a marginal increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's a no brainer to run a few cables, a cat5 cable does gigabit (1000 mbit) and is full duplex (both directions at same time). Then you can even add another wireless n access point the other side of the house giving full wireless coverage.

Advertisement