Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making birtday cake days before party

Options
  • 02-12-2012 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi , i am making a large birthday cake for my husbands 60th next week . I dont want to leave it until the day itself in case it goes wrong and i have to start from scratch . Has anyone else made cake several days in advance ? was it still fresh tasting ?
    I am baking four 8 inch square chocolate sponge cakes and forming them into one large cake . (A full size chessboard !) .
    Any opinions grarefully received ! I was thinking of making the cakes on Thursday , and decorating on Friday for party on Saturday night .:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

That will be grand. Just store it in an airtight container and don't put it in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

It will be fine, most novelty type and wedding cakes are made with similar timeframe.

However if you are covering it with sugarpaste don't store it in anything airtight once decorated as it will sweat, cardboard box would be fine, cool room, no fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Should have been clearer that I mean store the uniced cake in an airtight box

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Thanks a million annamcmahon and phormium ! Covering with chocolate - white chocolate on top of cake , then dark chocolate square sweets to make the dark squares of the chessboard . We are having fun at the moment making chess pieces from a mould i bought online - had to hide them before he guesses what we are up to so there are pawns and bishops and knights beneath the vegetables in the freezer ...

Advertisement