Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro U-21's in Israel

• 02-12-2012 4:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

Never realise this was happening. Absolutely disgusting and hopefully more players speak up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9715577/Premier-League-players-call-on-Uefa-to-remove-Israel-as-European-U-21-hosts.html
    Uefa is under pressure to reconsider plans to stage next summer’s European Under-21 Championship in Israel after a group of leading footballers, including Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard, issued a statement condemning the decision to ‘reward’ the country following recent military action in Gaza. The group of players, from the Premier League and major leagues throughout Europe and the Far East, includes Hazard, Didier Drogba, Abou Diaby and five Newcastle players – Papiss Cissé, Cheick Tioté, Sylvain Marveaux, Yohan Cabaye and Demba Ba.
    The statement, which was released by the Palestinian Campaign for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, claims the decision to stage the tournament – in which England will play the hosts, Italy and Norway – in Israel is “yet another stain on the world’s conscience”and expresses “solidarity with the people of Gaza who are living under siege and denied basic human dignity and freedom”. The players then go on to highlight the bombing of a football stadium in Gaza which the Israeli military said had previously been used by Hamas as a rocket launching site.
    “We are informed that on Nov 10, 2012, the Israeli army bombed a sports stadium in Gaza, resulting in the death of four young people playing football, Mohamed Harara and Ahmed Harara, 16 and 17 years old; Matar Rahman and Ahmed al-Dirdissawi, 18 years old,” the statement said. “We are also informed that since February 2012 two footballers with the club al-Amari, Omar Rowis, 23, and Mohammed Nemer, 22, have been detained in Israel without charge or trial.
    “It is unacceptable that children are killed while they play football. Israel hosting the Uefa Under-21 European championship, in these circumstances, will be seen as a reward for actions that are contrary to sporting values.”
    Uefa president Michel Platini has resisted previous pressure to take the tournament away from Israel, with former Manchester United and France forward Eric Cantona writing to Uefa earlier this year to condemn the detention without trial of Palestinian footballers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

For whatever it's worth I'm against it happening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ugh that's disgusting. Israel shouldn't even be playing in Europe anyway.

Politics shouldn't be involved in sport but there are certain exemptions and UEFA should change the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Ugh that's disgusting. Israel shouldn't even be playing in Europe anyway.

Politics shouldn't be involved in sport but there are certain exemptions and UEFA should change the location.

Well, no Arab country wanted to play them, hence...

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's a bit silly of Drogba to complain about human rights ?
    He plays in China ffs.

As for the fact that the U21 is in Israel: I really don't think that what happened should have a bearing on whether it's played there or not.

We all have our thoughts about the conflict, but football has in the past proven that it can bring people together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jelle1880 wrote: »

We all have our thoughts about the conflict, but football has in the past proven that it can bring people together.

Bit hard for football to bring people together in Gaza now seeing as the IDF purposely destroyed the sporting infrastructure last month, including the main football stadium, killing 4 teenagers who were playing on the field in the stadium while they were at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The Isreali government are a shower of cuunts! Could you imagine a new country been formed in a few years time and been put on our land and then proceed to take over it and force us to live in poverty without basic human rights, in no way am i saying its right but its no wonder there is militant groups like Hamas in Palestine!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bit hard for football to bring people together in Gaza now seeing as the IDF purposely destroyed the sporting infrastructure last month, including the main football stadium, killing 4 teenagers who were playing on the field in the stadium while they were at it.

I read the article too yes.
    Purely pedantic, but the Palestinian national team uses a totally different stadium on the West Bank.

I think in Politics enough people have mentioned why Israel targets civilian structures at times.
    It wasn't targetted because it was a football stadium, that much is clear.

FIFA is paying to rebuild the stadium I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I read the article too yes.
    Purely pedantic, but the Palestinian national team uses a totally different stadium on the West Bank.

I think in Politics enough people have mentioned why Israel targets civilian structures at times.
    It wasn't targetted because it was a football stadium, that much is clear.

FIFA is paying to rebuild the stadium I've heard.

What they dont mention in the Politics section is that Gaza is or is virtually the most built up area in the world so if you bomb it you will hit innocent victims.

I'm 50-50 on Israel being a member of UEFA but against the competition taking part in Israel as it sends the wrong signal especially just after yesterdays news when Israel said it was going to resume building settlements on Palestinian land because the Palestinians won a vote to be granted statehood and observer status at the UN. They are also withholding taxes due to the Palestinians that have been assured under international law.

Palestinians do not need to suffer for something that was done to the Jewish people and that they had no hand, act or part in. UEFA does not need to look like its supporting it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Well then that's their problem really. If you want to play international football, try not to be the scummiest 'nation' on the face of the earth.

What they dont mention in the Politics section is that Gaza is or is virtually the most built up area in the world so if you bomb it you will hit innocent victims.

I'm 50-50 on Israel being a member of UEFA but against the competition taking part in Israel as it sends the wrong signal especially just after yesterdays news when Israel said it was going to resume building settlements on Palestinian land because the Palestinians won a vote to be granted statehood and observer status at the UN. They are also withholding taxes due to the Palestinians that have been assured under international law.

Palestinians do not need to suffer for something that was done to the Jewish people and that they had no hand, act or part in. UEFA does not need to look like its supporting it either.

Actually, Gaza is one of the most populated areas, but that doesn't mean it's the most densely built area.

There is still parts of it that are open land.

And Bhosca: This happened long before the current settling campaign by Israel and was a ****ty move on the Arab side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And Bhosca: This happened long before the current settling campaign by Israel and was a ****ty move on the Arab side.

what?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's a bit silly of Drogba to complain about human rights ?
    He plays in China ffs.

As for the fact that the U21 is in Israel: I really don't think that what happened should have a bearing on whether it's played there or not.

Syria has more right to be in europe than israel. The fact that the arabs don't like them has nothing to do with europe, I don't see any justification of that for their inclusion in european soccer.

Also I fail to see your logic in criticising Drogba. He works in China so how does that affect his ability to complain about human rights???:confused:

what?:confused:

Keep up please.

He was talking about the fact that no Arab country wanted to play them, which happened long before the current issue with their agressive expansion policy.

So no, it doesn't have anything to do with being the 'scummiest nation on the planet' (seriously ? read a newspaper or something).

As for Drogba: I mentioned it because he criticizes Israel (and rightly so), but apparently he doesn't know about China's stance on human rights.
    A bit too close to home I'd say ?

Actually, Gaza is one of the most populated areas, but that doesn't mean it's the most densely built area.

There is still parts of it that are open land.

It is one of the most densely built areas in the world and people do not live in open areas . This makes no sense what so ever. The density of Gaza is about 9,982 per square km. To put this in perspective in Ireland according to the latest census figures the population density was 67 people per sq km. Thats a massive difference.

TBH I'm surprised any players even noticed this was happening as usually they are too far up their own asses to notice. Sad to say there arent that many intelligent professional footballers about who are interested in any subject besides shagging and their wallet.

It is one of the most densely built areas in the world and people do not live in open areas . This makes no sense what so ever. The density of Gaza is about 9,982 per square km. To put this in perspective in Ireland according to the latest census figures the population density was 67 people per sq km. Thats a massive difference.

TBH I'm surprised any players even noticed this was happening as usually they are too far up their own asses to notice. Sad to say there arent that many intelligent professional footballers about who are interested in any subject besides shagging and their wallet.

I saw the list of those that signed it and to me (I could be wrong) the vast majority are muslims, I do feel that this may have something to do with it (as you said, most football players don't seem to care too much about politics).

As for Gaza:

http://www.palestineremembered.com/GeoPoints/Gaza_526/Gaza-11195.jpg

It's always puzzled me that Beram Kayal (an Arab) plays for Israel. Same for the nationalist playing for the North. As you say though, most of them are probably too thick, or at least do not care enough to sacrifice their careers.

I saw the list of those that signed it and to me (I could be wrong) the vast majority are muslims, I do feel that this may have something to do with it (as you said, most football players don't seem to care too much about politics).

As for Gaza:

http://www.palestineremembered.com/GeoPoints/Gaza_526/Gaza-11195.jpg
    Thats the Egypt - Gaza border.

The vacant land is Egypt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It's always puzzled me that Beram Kayal (an Arab) plays for Israel. Same for the nationalist playing for the North. As you say though, most of them are probably too thick, or at least do not care enough to sacrifice their careers.

Isn't there some rule that non-EU players have to play in a certain number of international games per year in order to acquire work Visa's?

I'm very vague on that I might be totally wrong on that but I thought I heard it somewhere once upon a time. Something like that could explain a guy playing for a country he had no particular love for.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Isn't there some rule that non-EU players have to play in a certain number of international games per year in order to acquire work Visa's?

I'm very vague on that I might be totally wrong on that but I thought I heard it somewhere once upon a time. Something like that could explain a guy playing for a country he had no particular love for.
    “Beram Kayal is Arabic and a Muslim, but I grew up in Israel,” he explains. “I play for the national team. Sometimes people say I’m Jewish. No – I’m Arabic. Sometimes people on the outside can’t understand the bigger picture. They ask how Jewish and Arabic people can live together. But it’s fine, I lived there [in Israel] and I enjoyed it, and I get on with the people there.

“I have friends who are Jewish and, while I don’t want to go too deep into politics, it shouldn’t really matter in sport about Arabs or Jews – if someone says ‘Beram Kayal is an Israeli player’, then that is enough for me.

“Everyone in Israel is happy for me. I am Arabic which is the minority compared to Jewish people in Israel. The Arabic and the Jewish people are happy because I have more friends who are Jewish, I live with Jews and I play in the Israeli team with Jewish people.”

http://honestreporting.com/israel-apartheid-an-own-goal/

Haifa (together with Tel Aviv), where he grew up, is probably one of Israel's most liberal cities when it comes to Arab-Jew relations.
    So I doubt he was forced to choose, and it was his own free will.

http://honestreporting.com/israel-apartheid-an-own-goal/

Haifa (together with Tel Aviv), where he grew up, is probably one of Israel's most liberal cities when it comes to Arab-Jew relations.
    So I doubt he was forced to choose, and it was his own free will.

That is a pretty simple minded approach though. "I'm friends with Jews so I don't mind legitimising the Israeli state by representing them at football".

Erm, what other country should he represent then ?

There's not exactly an Arab National Team, is there ?

He clearly feels fine as an Israeli, surely that's his choice ?

• Advertisement

Erm, what other country should he represent then ?

There's not exactly an Arab National Team, is there ?

He clearly feels fine as an Israeli, surely that's his choice ?

... I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed...

His reasons are his reasons. I think they're stupid.

Yep, considering yourself Israeli and therefore taking your chance when offered a place on the Israeli national team is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Drogba actually is a human rights ambassador

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

... I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed...

His reasons are his reasons. I think they're stupid.

Well I suppose it would be like us saying why didnt Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn play for Republic of Ireland rather than Northern Ireland, as they hold Irish Passports and they are Catholic born.

Kayal probably couldnt go back to Tel Aviv if he played for Palestine.

Keep up please.

He was talking about the fact that no Arab country wanted to play them, which happened long before the current issue with their agressive expansion policy.

So no, it doesn't have anything to do with being the 'scummiest nation on the planet' (seriously ? read a newspaper or something).

As for Drogba: I mentioned it because he criticizes Israel (and rightly so), but apparently he doesn't know about China's stance on human rights.
    A bit too close to home I'd say ?

I would keep up if you would follow the normal conventions of forums like this and actually quote the relevant phrase but of course you never do. It really isnt that difficult.

Well I suppose it would be like us saying why didnt Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn play for Republic of Ireland rather than Northern Ireland, as they hold Irish Passports and they are Catholic born.

Kayal probably couldnt go back to Tel Aviv if he played for Palestine.

No it's nothing at all like it.

I would keep up if you would follow the normal conventions of forums like this and actually quote the relevant phrase but of course you never do. It really isnt that difficult.

It's only for people who seem to lose track very easily that this poses a problem.
    And that is not my issue.

If you write something down it should be relatively easy to understand when a response is given to it, and no need to constantly quote everything.

Advertisement