Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just some advice for a business idea!

Options
  • 02-12-2012 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey there, Ive had an idea for some while now and in a recession I think its a great one! Ive had ideas of opening a 2nd hand Electronics store Via Online & in a town! I would be selling 2nd Hand tvs, phones, ipods, laptops, Personal Computers and etc! I know times are difficult and I thought it would be a great idea since self employment is a dream of mine, I have a few qualifications in computers and I have a massive interest in technology. If I could get honest answers it would be greatly appreciated! If i failed to mention anything ask away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I dont have much experience in selling online so cant really help you out on that one but in relation to running a shop/store selling second hand electrical items now is a very good time.

I have experience in second hand stores and business is very good at present. There is huge demand for affordable items. Once you can sell the items at affordable prices you can do very well.

Have you looked at any locations yet? Locations and price you pay for rent will be the big factor in making this business succeed.

How do you plan on getting stock for your shop?

People buy second hand stuff for a few reasons but the main reason is they cant afford to buy brand new. If your selling online how would you get the item to your customer? I would imagine starting off a courier would be expensive and when you add that figure onto the selling price is it worth it for the customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

we have a massive demand for second hand laptops and phones in our Nenagh shop. however finding a reliable supplier is difficult. selling a bad laptop or phone will discredit our good name in town.

my point is alot of second hand gear is water damaged or rubbish.

Good luck and if you do find a decent supplier let me know and we could work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Maybe I'm mistaken but I would have thought the majority of this market is catered for by Donedeal.ie, buyandsell.ie and similar...?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭capefear

I noticed in yesterdays Sunday business post http://www.cashconverters.co.uk/ had a ad on the back page looking for someone to buy the Irish master franchaise. I'm surprised there not here ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I would say something to watch out for would be people palming off faulty second-hand goods in the hope of making a quick buck....

Great idea if you can get around those kinds of things though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This already exists in Dublin - http://ie.webuy.com/

They are a UK store thats setup over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

While donedeal, buy and sell gumtree etc..... are all doing well there is still a huge amount of people that like the old bricks and mortar store. Where they feel they have better comeback.

Cashconverters were in Ireland previously but they set up during the boom and never really took off. There is a number of places like cash converters opperating in Ireland and are doing very well.

Op are you planning on buying goods from people coming in off the street or just selling second hand electronics?

Advertisement