Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ModBo 4.0 Install into PS2 - I'm looking for a modder based in Ireland?

• 02-12-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi all. I tried asking someone locally in Ireland to mod my PS2 with a new ModBo 4.0 chip but he was unable to get it working. Have to give him credit for trying since he tried a lot of different things but was unsuccessful in the end. So just wondering, is there anyone here that would know how to install a ModBo 4.0 chip and be willing to mod my PS2? The details of the install that I know are that it's a ModBo 4.0 chip on a SCPH-90004 console. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You might as well give the full console history to give the other modders a chance :)

Your PS2 slim had a Modbo 4.0 installed, but that stopped working after you tried to upgrade the firmware - all that was present was a black screen on booting, no Matrix Infinity logo. Removing the +3.3v/GND connections resulted in a perfect stock boot. So you bought a new Modbo and sent it to me (who has installed [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/6737/218485.JPG[/url] before). When I removed it I found point Cx was installed to the wrong resistor. I did a straight swap of Modbo chips to rule out a dead modchip, leaving the install wires untouched. It didn't work, same symptoms. I then removed all wires and reinstalled with Kynar wire. Same symptoms. I removed and reinstalled one last time, same symptoms.

I concluded the problem is on the PS2's end. I think it's a fair conclusion unless you managed to purchase a dead Modchip which I did not check for as I don't have my PS2 handy to swap it's own Modbo for either of yours. If anybody gets in touch to give it a shot then I wish them all the best. Hopefully you'll get it sorted if it can be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So just wondering, is there anyone here that would know how to install a ModBo 4.0 chip and be willing to mod my PS2?

If it didn't work for Touching Virus, there's something else broken or wrong somewhere. He does know how to install them, & tbh, if he couldn't get it working, is unlikely anyone else will without a 2nd PS2/spare modchip for fault finding purposes

EnterNow wrote: »
    If it didn't work for Touching Virus, there's something else broken or wrong somewhere.

I wouldn't go so far as that :o

I'd actually be really pleased to hear that this PS2 got up and running from another modder so I could ask them if there was something specifically I was doing wrong, this is always a learning job :)

I regret not having my PS2 with me so I could have put in the two modbo chips into my own (or mine into his) so we could be absolutely sure the fault was with the PS2.

I wouldn't go so far as that :o

I would :) Your a pro dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Sorry if I offended you TouchingVirus. I didn't mean anything bad by it :$. I was just trying to see if anyone has other ideas that you might have not thought of before, it's nothing personal against yourself.

• Advertisement

No dude, I didn't take it personally at all and I'm sorry if it came across that way; it wasn't intentional. Like I said I really hope you get it sorted out. I just thought that before heading off to another modder they might as well know the full story behind the console, what's been attempted and why. This isn't a simple "Please put this modchip in and everything will work as expected" situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Is there really no hope at all to get my PS2 running with a modchip? Can't afford to spend money on a new PS2 :(

Is there really no hope at all to get my PS2 running with a modchip? Can't afford to spend money on a new PS2 :(

TV would have spent far more time & effort on it than most, so it doesn't look good. On the upshot, why not get a cheap used PS2? They can be had for pittens at this stage on Adverts etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Aye they're fairly cheap these days. Picked up a silver slimline for €30 a year ago :)

Advertisement