Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring circuit questions

Options
  • 02-12-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

In a newly build house the other day which had a ring circuit in kitchen and ring for upstairs and radial for down stairs, kitchen 6 sockets upstairs 8 downstairs 8 sockets. Rings on 32 a mcb and radial 20amcbs. Are ring acceptable in houses I thought they were no longer allowed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meath4sam wrote: »
    In a newly build house the other day which had a ring circuit in kitchen and ring for upstairs and radial for down stairs, kitchen 6 sockets upstairs 8 downstairs 8 sockets. Rings on 32 a mcb and radial 20amcbs. Are ring acceptable in houses I thought they were no longer allowed.

Not allowed in kitchens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

And all radial should be on 20amps??

And all radial should be on 20amps??

Yes 20 amp for radials.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

robbie7730 wrote: »

god, what's next. why aren't they allowed in kitchens any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

robbie7730 wrote: »

they have rescinded this now(according to my inspector)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »

Who has? The ETCI?

2011 wrote: »
    Who has? The ETCI?

i assume its the etci
    didnt go into too much detail with him though as i never do ring circuits in kitchens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there would be an amendment on the website if they have?
    I think the rules on domestic ring ccts are fine the way they are,prob with the addition of utility rooms imo

M cebee wrote: »
    there would be an amendment on the website if they have?
    I think the rules on domestic ring ccts are fine the way they are,prob with the addition of utility rooms imo

cant find anything in writing
    will ring him during the week to clarify and update

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i assume its the etci
    didnt go into too much detail with him though as i never do ring circuits in kitchens

I would be surprised if the ETCI have changed this (nobody else has the authority to).

The 4th (latest edition) of ET101:2008 contains the applicable rules.
    Amendments to the regulations can be found on a link from the ETCI website on this page and I do not see this listed.

The inspector may have been referring to the certification of legacy work.

• Advertisement

I can't see it happening

I can't see it happening

Have they? It would`t affect me much anyway, as I never use them on the rare occasion I might be doing any house wiring.

I don`t think they would be well suited to having isolators of single socket points either.

Seanbass wrote: »
    god, what's next. why aren't they allowed in kitchens any more?

Well I would`t be able to put forward what their thinking was on it.

But a ring main, and an isolator for a single socket point, would`t go well together anyway, so that may be one aspect.

There are a few other problems with ring circuits. I never used them in domestic wiring at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

I think the rule regarding ring circuits not allowed in kitchen was in annex 52c. That annex was labeled normative means it had to be done. They changed the title to informative meaning for guidance. It was something like that.

Thanks for replys, so kitchen in question has a ring circuit with extract fridge washing and dishwasher spurred off it via dp switch on 32amp mcb,I understand a ring can be on a 32amp mcb but when u spur off u have a radial with 32 amp mcb protecting it. This can't be rite can it?

Thanks for replys, so kitchen in question has a ring circuit with extract fridge washing and dishwasher spurred off it via dp switch on 32amp mcb,I understand a ring can be on a 32amp mcb but when u spur off u have a radial with 32 amp mcb protecting it. This can't be rite can it?
    no
    unfused spurs not allowed now either
    it's not going to cause a problem -if they're switching single sockets
    but you have to fuse where you branch off

M cebee wrote: »
    no
    unfused spurs not allowed now either
    it's not going to cause a problem -if they're switching single sockets
    but you have to fuse where you branch off
    So is a fused switched spur to be used in rings and radials now or just ring to scale down from 32 to 13 amp protection.

All a bit confusing etci need to make things a bit more clear.

I understand a ring can be on a 32amp mcb but when u spur off u have a radial with 32 amp mcb protecting it. This can't be rite can it?

That`s why I was saying ring mains and isolator controlled sockets don t work out well.

• Advertisement

frankmul wrote: »
    I think the rule regarding ring circuits not allowed in kitchen was in annex 52c. That annex was labeled normative means it had to be done. They changed the title to informative meaning for guidance. It was something like that.
    yes i see that now
    page 308annex 55a
    changed from normative to informative
    by amendment

the front of the rules describes normative as essential info and informative as general info
    -so what does that mean then?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Hi everybody,

Any news since 2012 ?

Ring circuits are allowed in kitchen or not ?

Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Ring circuits are no longer permitted in kitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Despite the regs I have always thought that parallel cables an extremely bad idea. Could have an open circuit on one and no way of knowing- the remaining in-circuit cables carrying all the load. I do not know but hope the regs have done away with ring circuits

Advertisement