Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water pump turning on and off constantly

• 02-12-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

The water pump in the hot press is constantly turning on and off all day and night. Runs for about 3 seconds and then stops for a minute or so. It's pretty annoying as it's pretty loud and even the neighbours have complained.

A plumber came out during the week and told the missus that it's normal. He made some adjustments(not much from what I believe) to the cistern in one of the toilets but it's been as bad ever since.

Would dodgey washers in the ballcock thingy cause it? Any ideas? There doesn't appear to be any discernable leaks anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

What make is your pump ?
    Can you forward a picture ?
    How long is your pump installed?

Some pumps have a non return valve on the water inlet. There maybe some dirt lodge in it not allowing the pump to switch off.

Some pumps have a small pressure vessel build in and may need to be pump with air.

You may have a small leak or large drip some where. Ballcocks in toilets are the most common cause.

If there are valves on the out let side of the pump you can turn off. Try and turn it them off to see will the pump stop. If it does you have a problem with small leaks or larger drips.

If the pump still runs with you turn off the outlet valves you have a problem with a non return valve, pressure vessel or pressure switch.

It should not be pumping on constantly. it will burn out the pump. So until some one can find the problem switch off the pump as much as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

clacks wrote: »
    The water pump in the hot press is constantly turning on and off all day and night. Runs for about 3 seconds and then stops for a minute or so. It's pretty annoying as it's pretty loud and even the neighbours have complained.

A plumber came out during the week and told the missus that it's normal. He made some adjustments(not much from what I believe) to the cistern in one of the toilets but it's been as bad ever since.

Would dodgey washers in the ballcock thingy cause it? Any ideas? There doesn't appear to be any discernable leaks anywhere.

Make of pump, with pics will tell a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Thanks for the reply. The brand is monsoon. Only moved in 5 months ago so not sure how old it is.

Horrendous at diy of any sort but i have a feeling it the ballcock. When I tighten the screw on it (clockwise), it seems to stop the problem totally more or less, but once it flushed its back to square one.

Not too sure about the valve thing you mentioned though.

I do try to turn off the pump at night as it's driving me and the neighbours mental.
    Ill attach a pic shortyly. Phone is acting up.
    Thanks!

jimjimt wrote: »
    What make is your pump ?
    Can you forward a picture ?
    How long is your pump installed?

Some pumps have a non return valve on the water inlet. There maybe some dirt lodge in it not allowing the pump to switch off.

Some pumps have a small pressure vessel build in and may need to be pump with air.

You may have a small leak or large drip some where. Ballcocks in toilets are the most common cause.

If there are valves on the out let side of the pump you can turn off. Try and turn it them off to see will the pump stop. If it does you have a problem with small leaks or larger drips.

If the pump still runs with you turn off the outlet valves you have a problem with a non return valve, pressure vessel or pressure switch.

It should not be pumping on constantly. it will burn out the pump. So until some one can find the problem switch off the pump as much as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Most likely the ballcock in the toilet is the problem as 9 out of 10 times it is.
    You should get a new fast fill ballcock fitted in your toilet cistern. To check just prop the float with a stick or similar and see will your pump stay off. Run a tap and check will your pump stay off.

Also note there is a mini pressure vessel on your pump with a air valve on the end of it. This should be checked by the plumber to insure it was charged with the right amount of air. Most likely a sticker on it specifying air amount.

If you are getting a plumber back to install a new ballcock get a plumber who can test and pump the pressure vessel on the pump and ensure that there is no dirt on the non return valves on the pump.

Monsoon is a very good brand pump.

Fast Fill Ballcocks,

http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-products/fill-valves-repair-kits.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

clacks wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. The brand is monsoon. Only moved in 5 months ago so not sure how old it is.

Horrendous at diy of any sort but i have a feeling it the ballcock. When I tighten the screw on it (clockwise), it seems to stop the problem totally more or less, but once it flushed its back to square one.

Not too sure about the valve thing you mentioned though.

I do try to turn off the pump at night as it's driving me and the neighbours mental.
    Ill attach a pic shortyly. Phone is acting up.
    Thanks!

If you look at the small silver vessell on top of the pump there is a dust cap like on s bicycle wheek , unscrew it and with a tire gauge measure tge pressure, you should have 10psi or .9 bar in the vessell, if not pump it up to that level with a bicycle pump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 davidod2012

Hi,

Did you find the solution to this problem as I have the same. My toilet takes an age to fill and it is like my water tank is constantly filling. The pump kicks in as you describe for about 3 seconds, goes off for about 5-10secs and then back on etc. I think it stops once the tank is full which can be an age.

Just a note, when flushing the toilet I have to hold down the button on the top to flush completely, dunno if this is because a dodgy connection or ballcock.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

I have this issue (but it only comes on for about 4 seconds about 5 times/day), but to my knowledge my water pump is not connected to either of my toilet ballcocks - it only drives 3 showers & a tap in ensuite.

None of them are dripping.

Where else should I look ?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I think that it's better to contact the firm that installed the pump. When I had issue with my heat pump I call to Fonko service, the company that installed the pump and gave me a warranty. I think it's the best solution.

MOD EDIT: I removed the irrelevant link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

banchang wrote: »
    I have this issue (but it only comes on for about 4 seconds about 5 times/day), but to my knowledge my water pump is not connected to either of my toilet ballcocks - it only drives 3 showers & a tap in ensuite.

None of them are dripping.

Where else should I look ?

Confirm that nothing else is connected.

Had same issue and turned out that the outside garden tap was connected and leaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but have a Walrus TQ400 pump and it’s doing the same. Coming on intermittently for a few seconds. Have checked all taps, toilets etc for leaks/runs but they all look good. There doesn’t appear to be a pressure valve on this pump that I can check pressure or pump air back into( as suggested above) Does anyone have any experience of these pumps please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 AlienJB

I have a TQ300 which looks very similar. Unscrew the black plastic cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Bladder in the expansion tank was done. Needed a new expansion tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 chrisobriens

Sorry to resurrect this again but we have the same issue.

The Pump is a Grundfos mq3-35 feeding 2 showers, a bath and 3 toilets.

Cuts out every 5 seconds then restarts. Less so when we have loads of hot water. We have solar panels - water ones. When it kicks in it sounds like a drum is being hit…

We seem to replace the expansion tank every Xmas as it’s the only solution we get from local plumbers.

Thanks in advance,

C.

Advertisement