Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem With New PC

Options
  • 02-12-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys, im helping a friend install a second home computer.

I can't get the new computer to connect to the wireless network (which is connected already to the old computer via port)

The wireless signal is working as it connects to all the laptops in the house. For some reason the new computer is not picking up the connection? When I search for the connection the computer responds with "there are no connections available"

The wireless connection is definitely working.

Is there anything I need to do with a new computer in order for it to be able to find the wireless connection?

Additional Details.
    (The new computer is a packard bell and runs windows 7, the internet provider is eircom and the modem is eircom also)

Im really frustrated so im offering small reward for anybody who manages to help me ;) thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi guys, im helping a friend install a second home computer.

I can't get the new computer to connect to the wireless network (which is connected already to the old computer via port)

The wireless signal is working as it connects to all the laptops in the house. For some reason the new computer is not picking up the connection? When I search for the connection the computer responds with "there are no connections available"

The wireless connection is definitely working.

Is there anything I need to do with a new computer in order for it to be able to find the wireless connection?

Additional Details.
    (The new computer is a packard bell and runs windows 7, the internet provider is eircom and the modem is eircom also)

Im really frustrated so im offering small reward for anybody who manages to help me ;) thank you.

can i ask you to log onto the router and make sure channel 13 is not selected... set it to channel 9 or 11.... some wifi cards have trouble connecting to channel 13.

also do you have the windows wifi drivers or the wifi drivers that came with the wifi card installed?

how far away from the eircom router is the pc?

is there any thick walls between the router and the pc?

another option you could consider is using a set of these to connect your router to the pc via the electrical power sockets

they work like this:

router lan socket -> powerline adapter > wall socket (in room with router) -> wall socket (in room with second pc) -> powerline adapter -> PC's lan card

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ArmittageShank

Hi thank you for your reply.

How do I log on to my router?
    It's a new computer I assume the wifi card is installed already? (Sorry im a newb with pc's)
    The router is in another room beside the new computer. it shouldn't effect that? The laptop works through the walls so im assuming the PC should also.

Would I need a Ethernet Adaptor? if the laptops work I thought the PC would be the same.

Sorry for all these idiotic questions, I appreciate your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi thank you for your reply.

How do I log on to my router?
    It's a new computer I assume the wifi card is installed already? (Sorry im a newb with pc's)
    The router is in another room beside the new computer. it shouldn't effect that? The laptop works through the walls so im assuming the PC should also.

Would I need a Ethernet Adaptor? if the laptops work I thought the PC would be the same.

Sorry for all these idiotic questions, I appreciate your reply.

ah most new pcs don't come with a wifi adapter installed... look at the back of the pc box and if there is an antenna present you have a wifi card... if not you don't

you have 2 options

a pci based wifi card (these tend to be better)
    a usb wifi dongle (these tend to be hit n miss and tie up a usb port)

both cost less that €30 these days but if u need to buy one make sure you get one that is N type... they have better speeds and range over the older G types

Advertisement