Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 soarview + 2 satellite tuners in 1 TV

• 02-12-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I want to replace my Soarview Triax TR112 box, my Humax twin tuner free-sat box and my CRT analogue TV with an LED TV plus external USB harddrive. the Humax box has 2 tuners so one can record any channel whilst watching any other (to do with muxes???). I read that when Soarview gets more channels you might need 2 tuners there too and that newer STB already have dual soarview tuners.

so:
    Advice please:
    LED TV with possibility of 4 tuners, 2 soarview and 2 satellite, with connection for external hard disk for recording. Or at least 1soarview, 2 satellite. Perhaps the 2nd satellite tuner could be an optional plug-in card?

Samsung models with UXXU in the model number seem to have 1 tuner of each type.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What you are looking for doesn't exist, and probably never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

Two tuners for when we get more Saorview channels?.You must be quite young and expect a long life span.I own a Panasonic 720 bluray recorder that has two tuners .It works on the Saorview package but is not saorview approved and is not with out its problems.As far as I know no hi-grade tv has more than 4 hmdi inputs.I am looking at the DT range of tvs in the Panasonic range in that it has two tuners.One for Freeview+ that opens the Saorview package and the second one a Freesat tuner.Paying for a decent tv that only receives the Saorview package makes little sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

JDxtra wrote: »
    What you are looking for doesn't exist, and probably never will.

Freesat is now the poor relation since Freeview HD arrived, so there is less demand for TVs with satellite in the UK. However there is a lot of interest in continental Europe, so I think you will find some 2+2 tellys arriving on the scene before this time next year, and STBs too.

Freeview is not or never will be an option for the majority of viewers in Ireland.I bought a Panasonic Freesat bluray recorder in January and shortly after Panasonic announced that they were ceasing production of Freesat boxes.I recently tried all the major UK dealers to obtain one for my next door neigbour but failed.Apparently once Panasonic made the announcement the remaining stock flew out the door.The result is that as Panasonic were the only big brand that put av inputs into their machines shortly we will not be able to record from our satellite receivers.Very few manufactures are fitting Freesat tuners and if they stop we really will be dependenent on the pay for viewing bandits.TMULL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

tmull wrote: »
    Freeview is not or never will be an option for the majority of viewers in Ireland.

The point I was making is that since Freesat has been gazumped by Freeview HD in the UK there has been little or no development of TVs with satellite tuners for that market. LG and Sony don't make them anymore, Samsung and Panasonic have only top of the range models with Freesat. So, if we are going to see TVs with 2 terrestrial and 2 sat tuners it will be based on demands from other European markets, not the UK. It is the EU market that is driving demand for triple tuner STBs, so quad tuner products will eventually turn up, either STBs or TVs or both.

• Advertisement

Yes,it would be a good development,hopefully soon.TMULL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

fornjot You would be best with an external FreeSAT receiver and a second external Saorview approved PVR. You could then get a programmable remote to make switching between them easier.

There will probably never be what you want. Even if a dual terrestrial and dual sat box was launched it would probably never be approved for use with freeSAT and possibly not for Saorview, so it would probably not support advanced features such as series link etc.

You could hide the boxes away somewhere and connect using HDMI. The Saorview approved PVR is not for sale yet, but should be in the coming weeks.

See here for more info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056788729&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fornjot

Thanks everyone. Very informative especially ZG3409. Thanks. I didnt know that HDMI will transmit remote control signals. The main reason for my request was to get away from so many remote controls, so one programmable remote control and boxes hidden away from view is exactly what I need. So I can replace my old telly with any Saorview TV with HDMI, and plug in my twin tuner freesat HD recorder, and attach a soarview HD recorder. But I read that there is no protocol for HDMI remote control signals. Was thinking of buying a Samsung TV. It's dumb that HDMI-CEC doesnt have a standard protocol.

Its interesting that UK freeview has displaced freesat. I presume they will keep freesat for the few who cant get freeview. I also presume all of europe must follow suit with freeview to enable analogue signals to be switched off everywhere for 4G services to expand.

Any recommendations for a programmable remote? Or Ipad accessory and app that does the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

fornjot wrote: »
    Thanks I didnt know that HDMI will transmit remote control signals.

HDMI does not send remote control signals. You would need some sort of remote extender instead. The HDMI is just for feeding the good quality picture to the TV.
    Any recommendations for a programmable remote? Or Ipad accessory and app that does the same?

No. Some people say touch screens do not make good remotes as you need to look at them to know which button to press. Ordinary remotes can be used without looking at them by feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fornjot

What about HDMI-CEC? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI. Seems to me HDMI does send/receive control signals. Its just that manufactureres maybe dont use a standrd protocol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

HDMI sends control signals about audio, resolution etc. "Remote" control signals are at an application layer. That's not covered by HDMI. It's technically possible. You might find that an LG BluRay player can partially control an LG TV.

Advertisement