Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox freezing at times.

Options
  • 02-12-2012 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

Basically in the last week my Xbox has been beeping then freezing on the start up screen. It doesn't happen all the time about 3 out of 5 times this has happened. When I turn it off and then on again when it freezes it works fine. Anyone know if its on the way out or that and if so how long do I have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Mine was like that before it went capoot! Got a few weeks of it and it eventually went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Mine has similar problems. I usually turn on the xbox and am sent straight to the dashboard. Of late the xbox turns on and then
    A - shows me 4 profiles on the machine. I pick my one and the screens loads the profile but just gets stuck like that
    or
    B - my background wallpaper appears with a spinning circle in the centre and just stays there and spins...

Same as yourself if I switch it off and on the problem resolves but I do not want three red lights for Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

What type of Xbox do you all have? I have one of the oldish "Super Elite" consoles with the 250gb hard drive. Have had freezing problems for over a year and had to reformat the drive around a year ago.

I find it depends on the game I'm playing. Fallout New Vegas causes all sorts of problems. The screen freezes while playing this game, and then for a day or 2 after, it could happen with other games. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to just load the dashboard after turning the console on. Have had no issues lately. Only playing Black Ops 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Try it without the hard drive and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Meesared wrote: »
    Try it without the hard drive and see what happens

Not sure how that's going to help?? I'm pretty sure the last time I tried this, it booted fine, but couldn't do anything (ie no profile etc)

I'm sure the hard drive is the issue with mine. Always has been. I spent about 30 mins on the phone to MS support, and the best they could advise was to clear the memory cache and as a last resort format the HD. Console was out of warranty a year ago.

It took ages to back up all my game saves, format it, then copy everything back. And there's still problems, but not as bad as last year. Could be a bad sector on my HD, but was wondering if anyone else had any theories as to where the problem stems from.

It's still ticking along, but I think I'll have to buy a new one soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Well if it doesn't freeze without your hard drive, its likely your hard drive that's at fault. If you want to get your profile back and test it without the hard drive, download it onto a flash drive, you can use those as Xbox storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Clear cache, check your hardrive for corrupt game saves. Corrupt game saves cause freezing.. Like the others said, if problem persists format your HD.
    You can back up your games saves on Cloud storage or on a memory stick.

If problem still happens, run the games without your hardrive. If it doesn't freeze then you know its your HD. You can replace the HD then. If it keeps freezing without the HD then you know its some console issue.

Advertisement