Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do some gay men talk differently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That makes sense, but I do think there is a lot of put on camp acting out of those who come out.

Its annoying if I think about it too much as some of my friends went down the same path over the years ~ so I don't think about it and let 'em get on with their lives and hope they're happy & safe.

I wouldn't think so, they've basically been holding themselves back for years because they couldn't be themselves. They're just being who they are and can't help it.
    I think maybe they come across strong because they're finally able to act the way that's normal to them once they come out and they might over do it initially, but I don't think it's really put on because camp guys get slated by the majority of masculine gay men a lot of the time for being that way.
    They don't have a real incentive to pile it on because that's not what a lot of more normal acting gay men want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Links234 wrote: »
    I know I didn't have a face full of piercings until after I came out as transgender, it's one of the many little ways I expressed myself after trying to keep my head down for so long. ;)

Someone linked to a tattoo/piercing place's website in the Cork forum. I looked at the list of piercings they do. I couldn't tell you what two thirds of those body parts/piercings are. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My brother is gay, the whole camp scene (and gay pride) bugs him big time - he doesn't get why people act differently when they come out. He also thinks that gay pride by definition is pointing out a difference instead of looking for equality.

A buddy of mine is also gay, and thinks more or less the same as my brother. I was talking to him about the whole camp thing and flamboyant-ness of some gay people, and he said that from what he knows as someone who has studied psychology is that it's a learned trait. Because the well-known gay people up to recent years have been the camp types, people who come-out can sometimes adopt this campness to attempt to (in their minds) fit-in. He said it's a sort of coping mechanism.

Based on that thinking, I would imagine that as more people are comfortable in publicly coming out/etc, the OTT campness will die-away to an extent. Being gay is (I hope) not viewed as a big deal in modern Ireland by the vast majority, so will not need people to self-identify/cope with it, it'll just be a fact of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I hate people that are different to me and my ma and the lads down the pub. Why can't everyone just be exactly the way I expect them to be.

Meangadh wrote: »
    But, I would definitely agree that some gay men have a specific kind of "voice", and friends of my gay friends have it, and yes, it is irritating but not to the point where I let it bother me. I know some straight people whose accents have changed depending on who they socialize with (mostly Dahblin yah yah types) so it's not unique to gay people.

That's called vocal mirroring and a lot of people do it without ever realising, and most people do it to some extent. It's an inbuilt trait humans have to put the person they're communicating with at ease. It's generally easiest to spot with families. Most families will have anything ranging from a subtle to a strong idiosyncratic style of communication. If you're friends with someone who moved to the city you're in a few years ago, and you happen to hear them talking with family you'll probably notice changes in their accent and use of words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why do boardsies seem to develop a common mannerism after a while- what's with that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Zillah wrote: »
    I hate people that are different to me and my ma and the lads down the pub. Why can't everyone just be exactly the way I expect them to be.

Thats not what anyone is talking about here. The question is why do some gay guys contruct this persona, most noticeable of which is an affectated voice. I mean If a person is from Dublin or Cork or the North they speak a certain way because of geographical reasons. There is no Gayville as far as I know! Some gay guys from all over the country (and the world) seem to speak the same way though. Its quare! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dulpit wrote: »
    I would imagine that as more people are comfortable in publicly coming out/etc, the OTT campness will die-away to an extent. Being gay is (I hope) not viewed as a big deal in modern Ireland by the vast majority, so will not need people to self-identify/cope with it, it'll just be a fact of life.

You'd think so.. But I was up in Bundoran with a gay friend three weeks ago and two lads actually took exception to him being gay ~ now the same lad is a bit loud and in your face about it but however two lads at the bar took real offense at him being gay.

One (looked like the 'I shot JR' guy on Father Ted lol) actually asked him "Are you seriously standing there telling me you're a homosexual man and you've no shame?".

This ended up in a slight altercation and we left the bar.

Before anyone accuses me of a wind up I wrote about it in the Donegal forum when I got home.

Apart from scumbags roaming the streets of the city center (in Dublin) almost without exception all adults I know are pretty accepting of the gay community ~ but the camp thing does annoy people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Agricola wrote: »
    Thats not what anyone is talking about here. The question is why do some gay guys contruct this persona, most noticeable of which is an affectated voice. I mean If a person is from Dublin or Cork or the North they speak a certain way because of geographical reasons. There is no Gayville as far as I know! Some gay guys from all over the country (and the world) seem to speak the same way though. Its quare! :D

You're not the publican off The Savage Eye by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Agricola wrote: »

There actually is a Gayville - it has branches in Manchester, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Sydney, New York, Austin, Northhampton, Hebden Bridge, London, Brighton etc etc.

It has it's own culture - and even it's own language (Polari - the word 'yob' comes from Polari).

Gay man from Cork probably has more in common with Gay man from Manchester then straight man from Tralee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

You get eaten alive in that forum for asking questions.

The gays like like to keep their lips tightly sealed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Why do people insist on referring to homosexuals as "the gays?". It makes them sound like some alien species. You never hear of "the straights".

On the topic of the accent, this is like asking 'why do some black people like fried chicken?'. It's generalising and pointless. Some people adopt the stereotypical mannerisms to make them more identifiable, to feel comfortable with themselves. It's true a lot of gay guys avoid the camp side of things but nobody should hold it against them. Live and let live.
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    The term is "breeders."
    I know that term but it's not very nice to use.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Why do people insist on referring to homosexuals as "the gays?". It makes them sound like some alien species. You never hear of "the straights".

The term is "breeders."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Cydoniac wrote: »

It's just for 'the' craic. No gays were hurt in this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You're not the publican off The Savage Eye by any chance ?

Another fan :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Someone linked to a tattoo/piercing place's website in the Cork forum. I looked at the list of piercings they do. I couldn't tell you what two thirds of those body parts/piercings are. :eek:

I don't even know if I could name all my piercings :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Is it just me or do the gay guys who have this accent all have a lisp?

Fart wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the gay guys who have this accent all have a lisp?

It's just you.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's just you.

<cowboy accent>
    There's a snake in ma ear!
    </cowboy accent>

<cowboy accent>
    There's a snake in ma ear!
    </cowboy accent>

or is it a thnake?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

to clarify:
    The stupid question askers need to get out more.

No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Why do some straight men wear skinny jeans, act/speak more effeminately, dress like gimps? Some just do.

They dont. Those men are gay, even if they deny it.

newmug wrote: »
    No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

They dont. Those men are gay, even if they deny it.

Man standing on top of skyscraper asks 'if I jump will I bounce back up to the top?'

Woman on plane asks if it is possible to open a window to get a bit of fresh air?

Yes - there are stupid questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Man standing on top of skyscraper asks 'if I jump will I bounce back up to the top?'

What if he had a bunjee cord?
    Woman on plane asks if it is possible to open a window to get a bit of fresh air?
    most planes would be fine if you open a window.

Yes - there are stupid questions.

Your examples weren't great though, in fairness.

Seaneh wrote: »

Your examples weren't great though, in fairness.

My priority right now is the classic episode who Dr Who I am trying to watch.

It would want to be one hell of a bungie cord to prevent him slapping his corpse off the side of the building.

Not if it is a pressured plane it isn't fine.

He still wouldn't bounce back to the top. It's a bungee cord, not a physics defying bungee cord.

You can only open the windows on smaller planes, military planes and in the cockpit. Given the vast majority of people fly via standard commercial routes and aren't pilots we would have to presume this woman is one of those, just based on probability. So yes, it would be foolish to ask if you could open a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Mitt Romney?! Is that you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The OP, who hasn't returned to the thread, is clearly a tiresome troll.

To those who are echoing his stupid question seriously: why do you care about things that don't affect you, like how some other people might speak?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I just put it down to some gay men wanting the world to know that they are gay. Doesn't bother me or annoy me, I just ignore it.

Nah, he's just off checking if he has a thnake in his ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Hippies! wrote: »
    I haven't heard the lisp thing in a gay person in quite a while, is that gone out of fashion now?

It's not so much a lisp - more of a hiss, with emphasis on the sibilant 's'. It's an affectation no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

it pays to be camp, its all to do with popularity, as in i'am gay so what...
    its all just put on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ummm, I've met many gay guys who are in the closet but have camp voices and clearly aren't trying to be found out. I find myself sounding camp sometimes and I definitely don't put it on, it just happens. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

There is nosceintific evidence that the prostate is directly linked to the vocal cords and over stimulation will cause tightening of the vocal cords.

This is why it is recommended that a prostate exam should only be carried out once a year so as to avoid a high pitched tone being developed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

To those who are echoing his stupid question seriously: why do you care about things that don't affect you, like how some other people might speak?

I'm not sure you quite get the idea behind discussion forums. People generally start threads to discuss topics which interest them or to satisfy their curiosity. In this instance the OP was curious about a particular sounding voice which is quite common amongst homosexual men.

If you look at the list of thread topics I believe you'll find many which don't affect the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Moo, I can hear the squeak from here. :) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Spiritual wrote: »
    There is nosceintific evidence that the prostate is directly linked to the vocal cords and over stimulation will cause tightening of the vocal cords.

This is why it is recommended that a prostate exam should only be carried out once a year so as to avoid a high pitched tone being developed.

Either that or stop dropping ice-lollies down the front of your pants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I'm back. Please see below:
    I'm not sure you quite get the idea behind discussion forums. People generally start threads to discuss topics which interest them or to satisfy their curiosity. In this instance the OP was curious about a particular sounding voice which is quite common amongst homosexual men.

If you look at the list of thread topics I believe you'll find many which don't affect the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

flash1080 wrote: »
    You know the type of camp accent I mean.

What's the deal?

One of my colleague is a queer. Like seriously gay, he's a lovely guy but his voice drives me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Why do seome gay men talk differently?
    Well, I don't. I have me accent, right
    You get eaten alive in that forum for asking questions.
    Not to mention the general absence of any sense of humour over there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

I do believe that you're talking about this voice:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Barna77 wrote: »

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Never actually thought of this before :p

They are actually putting on an accent..It is ridiculous alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Its because they're gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Barna77 wrote: »

Yup. It's pretty much "gay personal issues", except it's always the same issues that come up. Stick a search function in there, lock the forum, and nobody would complain because it's the same stuff that's been asked and answered 50 times by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

You know the type of camp accent I mean.

What's the deal?

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxcIrNK0h8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

dulpit wrote: »
    My brother is gay, the whole camp scene (and gay pride) bugs him big time - he doesn't get why people act differently when they come out. He also thinks that gay pride by definition is pointing out a difference instead of looking for equality.

Very strongly agree with this, and not just in relation to gay pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Serious deep answer? They see themselves as stepping out of society and falling into their new community and assume the accent to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

it pays to be camp

I've just spent the day mincing round town, didn't get a cent. :confused:

I thought I did by asking the question "Why do people care about how other people speak?"

I'll try again:

hi OP i think its because most gays have different vocal cords you can tell by lookin at them cos they dont have an adams apple.
    I'm back. Please see below:

Excellent contribution.
    I still believe due to your opening post and what I've seen of you in this forum previously that you started this thread with no more noble intention than sh*t-stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Because I know several gay men who only started to really ham it up after they came out, at ages varying from 15 to 25. Pre coming out, they sounded like a normal person. Come out and boom, sound like brian dowling impersonators and are suddenly camping it up.

It was kinda the opposite for me actually. When I was like 14 and started to accept that I was gay I became really camp for some reason. Then when I actually came out at like 16/17, it all just kinda stopped. Meh, it doesn't bother me either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I've just spent the day mincing round town, didn't get a cent. :confused:

I thought I did by asking the question "Why do people care about how other people speak?"

I'll try again:

hi OP i think its because most gays have different vocal cords you can tell by lookin at them cos they dont have an adams apple.

Excellent contribution.
    I still believe due to your opening post and what I've seen of you in this forum previously that you started this thread with no more noble intention than sh*t-stirring.

Well the OP didn't seem to care from their post, it seemed to be out of curiosity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement