Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Price

Options
  • 02-12-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hello All. I am in the process of a house purchase. My solicitor has return the contractst o the vendors solicitors for changes to be made to it. One of the consitions is as follows:

"1. Please confirm that the contract price of €22,000 is inclusive of VAT and on closing you will furnish a VAT invoice. Please specify the amount of VAT now."

Can someone tell me what this is?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A straightforward transaction involving property, e.g. the sale of land or a second hand house attracts stamp duty, but no VAT.

A sale of an 'developed' property, e.g. a newly constructed building attracts VAT, but no stamp duty.

So, your solicitor is seeking clarification that the €22,000 includes VAT - that the total amount the property (not including expenses like solicitor, surveyor, etc.) will cost you is €22,000.

Otherwise, you would be obliged to pay €22,000 + VAT, I think at 13.5% which would add up to €24,970.

The rules are more complicated than this, but that is the core of what your solicitor is asking.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/property-guide/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭airman737

Thanks for the indept reply Victor, You made it very clear. Appreciate it.

Advertisement