Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an Ab Wheel - where to get bolt?

• 02-12-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to build a wheel like this one

wheel1.jpg

wheel4.jpg

I'm having trouble sourcing this - 10-inch hex bolt (1/2 inch thick) - any suggestions? Tried the local hardware store and Homebase.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Stem bolt from an old bicycle (the old quill style stems)? Wouldn't be 1/2" thick though, probably 3/8".

Edit: scratch that, they're way too small!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Builders supplier, co-op or a motor factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And decent hardware shop should have it.

Check for it in metric size too - 300mm long M12 bolt
    Although, you'd be fine with smaller too, 240mm M10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you got the wheels already? knowing hardware shops here it might be cheaper to just buy a ready made abwheel.

They have double wheel ones like that on amazon now. This one is interesting as it has bands incorporated into it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Way-Exercise-Wheel-Muscle-Training/dp/B0082MRAGU/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1354549506&sr=8-17

Make sure to check all the Amazon pictures, this is the most important, showing how it is used for assistance, similar to band pullups.
    f68f3181-5cdc-4add-990b-45f113ea219e_A73.jpg

Heres another stable design

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitness-Mad-Ab-Wheel-Pro-Black/dp/B002XCL098/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354549490&sr=8-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cheers - yea picked the wheels up in Homebase - they'd a 15% off everything sale on Saturday, so thought I may as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I bought an actual Ab Wheel for €3.50 in TK Maxx. I don't understand why you're trying to make such a simple piece of equipment with materials that, by my reckoning add up to about 5 times the cost?

kevpants wrote: »
    I bought an actual Ab Wheel for €3.50 in TK Maxx. I don't understand why you're trying to make such a simple piece of equipment with materials that, by my reckoning add up to about 5 times the cost?
    I've the wheels got, so it's a bit late now isn't it.

Probably should have sought some advice before, didn't. Cheers for rubbing it in though, always helpful.

joker77 wrote: »
    I've the wheels got, so it's a bit late now isn't it.

Probably should have sought some advice before, didn't. Cheers for rubbing it in though, always helpful.

You also look fat in those pants

kevpants wrote: »
    You also look fat in those pants
    ha ha, definitely not something I've been called in a while.

I'm going for the emaciated cyclist look at the moment, you know the type - just been dragged from a concentration camp?

Down from 86 to 66kgs. Need to work a little harder to shift those last couple of % of bodyfat

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    ha ha, definitely not something I've been called in a while.

I'm going for the emaciated cyclist look at the moment, you know the type - just been dragged from a concentration camp?

Down from 86 to 66kgs. Need to work a little harder to shift those last couple of % of bodyfat

Jaysus. Be careful when you're using the ab wheel so, passing kids might mistake you for one of these

mini-pink-micro-scooter-500x500.jpg

Advertisement