Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Own Brand Bulbs Ireland -vs- UK Prices

Options
  • 02-12-2012 4:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

My dipped beams seemed inadequate to me in the dark evenings so I called in to Halfords to check out the options.

The car takes a H3 & a H7 on each side and there were no H3s in stock. The H7 Ultra Brilliance bulbs were €29.99 each plus €8/bulb if I wanted them fitted!!

The prices seemed high so I checked Halfords on-line, stopping off in the UK site first. The same bulbs were £29.99 / bulb plus £6.99 / bulb optional fitting charge but in the UK all the Halfords Super/Ultra & Extreme bulbs were BOGOFF

Using today's conversion rates and asking Halfords to fit them results in costs of €75.98 in Ireland or €54.22 for the same bulb & service combination, a difference of €21.76

C'mon Halfords, it's Christmas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Are you sure your figures are right there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Here's what I did ( after I corrected it :rolleyes: )

Halfords IRE (29.99 + 8.00) X 2 = €75.98

Halfords UK (20.99 + 6.99 + 6.99) = UK£43.97 = €54.22

Difference - 75.98 - 54.22 = 21.76 ( I Hope ) with the UK cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Go to Aldi/Lidl. They often have car bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

8 Euro to change a light bulb.

Could you not just do what it says in the Manual :) ?

http://www.halfords.nl/shop/Auto-onderdelen/Autolampen/112300

29.99 over here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

you use halfords forf car parts???????

you probaby passed half a dozen decent motor factors on the way there who would be half the price and would probably fit them free.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Possibly, but if you read the thread you'd see that most motor factors don't stock the spec I want.

As for doing what the book says, like all VAG books about changing headlight bulbs, it starts with, "Disconnect the undertray from the front bumper and then remove the bumper and headlight unit ... ". In this or any other weather? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mathepac wrote: »
    Possibly, but if you read the thread you'd see that most motor factors don't stock the spec I want.

As for doing what the book says, like all VAG books about changing headlight bulbs, it starts with, "Disconnect the undertray from the front bumper and then remove the bumper and headlight unit ... ". In this or any other weather? :eek:

Just an FYI ... if you bring your VW with this arsey replacement setup Halfords won't touch it.

They'll only replace user replaceable bulbs i.e. with access at the back of the Light Cluster or where the whole unit is removable.

It pretty much well known over here anyway, the VW Polo is an example where you need to bring the damn thing to a dealership to get the bulbs changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

I'm waiting for someone to say:

But wages are higher in Ireland we don't get ripped off here just wages :rolleyes:

Advertisement