Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is an iPad able to play videos on PC youtube site?

• 02-12-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am considering buying an iPad 4th gen :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can the iPad play videos - yes
    Can the iPad play YouTube - yes

Sorry thats all i can get from your question, can you rephrase it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

there is some youtube videos that won't work on an ipad but most do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

He wants to know if he can use www.youtube.com rather than m.youtube.com on an iPad.

GarIT wrote: »
    He wants to know if he can use www.youtube.com rather than m.youtube.com on an iPad.

Cool, thanks. So he wants to use the web version rather than the app as such.

Most videos work dont they?

@Guil, why is that, is it copyright?

dunno if it is the same on iphone and ipad but i remember trying to watch a certain video on my iphone and it wouldn't play but it would on the laptop

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

A fair amount of uploaders don't allow videos to be played on iPad/mobile devices. I would say 1 in 5 videos I want to watch on iPad don't play for that reason.

guil wrote: »
    dunno if it is the same on iphone and ipad but i remember trying to watch a certain video on my iphone and it wouldn't play but it would on the laptop
    copacetic wrote: »
    A fair amount of uploaders don't allow videos to be played on iPad/mobile devices. I would say 1 in 5 videos I want to watch on iPad don't play for that reason.

yeah now i get you, i was wondering as my mate had a brand new Nokia last night, one of those C somethings, and it wouldnt play YT videos at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

The ipad doesnt have Flash Player so wont play alot of videos. Apple wont allow other software be downloaded on to its devices. Also a good few website require flash player for playing videos etc. One very annoying thing i find is I cant use Sky Sports score centre as it needs flash player also.

I'd try one out before investing, have one myself and i find i often need to use my laptop at times. Amount of website/videos that require flash is quite high from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 victoria63

GarIT wrote: »
    yup bro
    that's what I mean

you know, some videos are not available on mobile site

kceire wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. So he wants to use the web version rather than the app as such.

Most videos work dont they?

@Guil, why is that, is it copyright?

there is no longer a youtube app on ios6:(

• Advertisement

victoria63 wrote: »
    http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/youtube/id544007664?mt=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It doesn't get installed by default any more but there is a Youtube app for the iPhone, you just have to install it yourself....

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/youtube/id544007664?mt=8

ed1604 wrote: »

Due to copyright issues(I presume) , many videos are not allowed to be played on mobile app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Due to copyright issues(I presume) , many videos are not allowed to be played on mobile app

Not copyright, more likely it's for technical reasons as stated above like Adobe Flash being required.

Anyone who cares about copyright doesn't put their videos on Youtube.

Some videos wouldn't ever play on an iPhone. Even from iOS 3.1 when I got my first iPhone

yep there is.
    Im running the You Tube App with iOS 6.0.1 on my iPhone 5 and i have yet to encounter a video that wouldnt play for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kceire wrote: »
    yep there is.
    Im running the You Tube App with iOS 6.0.1 on my iPhone 5 and i have yet to encounter a video that wouldnt play for me.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mia%20paper%20planes&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fie.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7sei-eEjy4g&ei=g9q7UNWxBYa1hAfkuoG4Ag&usg=AFQjCNHyWJhCwU86CccGjTC5S-zd4vuvGw&sig2=CX_NhlWuHnGuU49f5yBD_A

You see this come up a lot on the web when using an iPad. Embedded YouTube link that doesn't allow mobile play.

maroondog wrote: »
    The ipad doesnt have Flash Player so wont play alot of videos. Apple wont allow other software be downloaded on to its devices. Also a good few website require flash player for playing videos etc. One very annoying thing i find is I cant use Sky Sports score centre as it needs flash player also.

I'd try one out before investing, have one myself and i find i often need to use my laptop at times. Amount of website/videos that require flash is quite high from my experience.

It's not the future though, the future is HTML 5 and you're going to encounter this problem less and less

Even Adobe don't make Flash anymore. http://www.techspot.com/news/46192-adobe-stops-mobile-flash-development-will-focus-on-html5.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If you download the Photon browser from the app store you have the ability to view flash sites on any iOS device.

coylemj wrote: »
    Not copyright, more likely it's for technical reasons as stated above like Adobe Flash being required.

Anyone who cares about copyright doesn't put their videos on Youtube.

so uploader need to prepare a different format for mobile playing ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

I use puffin browser on ipad 1, plays all flash video, 1channel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

coylemj wrote: »
    It doesn't get installed by default any more but there is a Youtube app for the iPhone, you just have to install it yourself....

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/youtube/id544007664?mt=8
    that app is iPhone only, sure it will install on iPad but the experience will be horrible.

Jasmine on the other hand is a great experience

thanks for many app recommendations :)

that app is iPhone only, sure it will install on iPad but the experience will be horrible.

Jasmine on the other hand is a great experience

Do anyone one know is Google really developing an iPad youtube app?

I think official is always the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just coming back to this thread.... Google just pushed out an update for the YouTube app which is now optimised for the iPad. Just update the existing app or download it from the iPad app store. I'm sure it will be in the top charts in the next few hours.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just coming back to this thread.... Google just pushed out an update for the YouTube app which is now optimised for the iPad. Just update the existing app or download it from the iPad app store. I'm sure it will be in the top charts in the next few hours.

wow
    Good job Google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

wow
    Good job Google

Haha you had great timing , I've been waiting ages for the ipad app. Really impressed with it so far.

Now all i need is Google maps and all will be right with the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Kenno90 wrote: »

Haha you had great timing , I've been waiting ages for the ipad app. Really impressed with it so far.

Now all i need is Google maps and all will be right with the world

They took long enough just updating it for the 4" screen never mind the iPad. They were obviously waiting for the whole lot to be finished. Glad to see Google investing in iOS and not just blanking it which would probably be Apple's way of doing things. Don't think Google can turn down the ad revenue they get from iOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anybody know how to change the region from Ireland to worldwide?

• Advertisement
Advertisement