Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stokes in hot water at Celtic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

DDC1990 wrote: »
    That fact that its an opinion piece does not detract from the fact that it is piss poor journalism.

There is no reason, In my opinion, for a story to be written at all on Stoke's attendence at a funeral.

Its not like he pulled out a rifle and joined in on the 10 gun salute. He turned up and gave his condolences to a man that he knew.

I don't know about you, but I have friends that do stupid stuff, some have engaged in criminal activity, but I would turn up to their funeral and pay my respects without a second thought. It doesn't matter if they were a childhood friend or an adult friend. I know Stokes is in the public eye, but his position as a professional soccer player, should not hinder his personal life that much.

Its a journalist looking for a reaction, and to get his name behind a sensationalist story. Its petty and small time, for a guy who is meant to have won awards for journalism.

It wasn't a funeral, have you even read the piece ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

That fact that its an opinion piece does not detract from the fact that it is piss poor journalism.

There is no reason, In my opinion, for a story to be written at all on Stoke's attendence at a funeral.

Its not like he pulled out a rifle and joined in on the 10 gun salute. He turned up and gave his condolences to a man that he knew.

I don't know about you, but I have friends that do stupid stuff, some have engaged in criminal activity, but I would turn up to their funeral and pay my respects without a second thought. It doesn't matter if they were a childhood friend or an adult friend. I know Stokes is in the public eye, but his position as a professional soccer player, should not hinder his personal life that much.
    Stupid stuff the guy was a career criminal and would be terrorist he did't exactly just steal sweeties from a corner shop.
    The excuse are remarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    It wasn't a funeral, have you even read the piece ?
    Yup, I had read the piece, but for some reason I had thought it was the funeral and not the fundraiser.

I saw the description of the coffin and balaclavaed men, and the security, but missed the line about the fundraiser. Apologies.

Post deleted to save myself more embarrasment :P

Stupid stuff the guy was a career criminal and would be terrorist he did't exactly just steal sweeties from a corner shop.
    The excuse are remarkable
    I agree. The man was an awful person, and some of the things he did were unforgivable.

Political links aside, his links to the drug trade and the stories of intimidation of others are horrendous.

But he was still a friend, of Stokes. What he does in his private life shouldn't be of any concern to anyone else, IMO.

Why has Stokes disgraced Celtic?

Surely he has just disgraced himself, in his choice of friends.

I agree. The man was an awful person, and some of the things he did were unforgivable.

Political links aside, his links to the drug trade and the stories of intimidation of others are horrendous.

But he was still a friend, of Stokes. What he does in his private life shouldn't be of any concern to anyone else, IMO.

Why has Stokes disgraced Celtic?

Surely he has just disgraced himself, in his choice of friends.

I think it's because a lot of people see football players as some sort of representative of the club they play for.

For example if he walks around Dublin or Glasgow he wouldn't be Anthony Stokes, he would be Anthony Stokes, the Celtic player.

I think it's because a lot of people see football players as some sort of representative of the club they play for.

For example if he walks around Dublin or Glasgow he wouldn't be Anthony Stokes, he would be Anthony Stokes, the Celtic player.
    Meh, If you see Messi or Ronaldo... they are just Messi and Ronaldo, not Messi of Barca etc.

Do you only represent your club if you are shíte :P

Anyway, my opinion on this is fairly straightforward.

I don't think what he did was too wrong. I think his choice of friends is bad, and that for his own good, he'd be better off cutting any more links with people like that. I also don't see how it is a disgrace to Celtic.

I think its an over the top article turning a small incident into a shítstorm, bringing up theings like Veronica Guiren, hinting that it could happen again, which in the context of the article is totally irrelevent.

Meh, If you see Messi or Ronaldo... they are just Messi and Ronaldo, not Messi of Barca etc.

Do you only represent your club if you are shíte :P

Anyway, my opinion on this is fairly straightforward.

I don't think what he did was too wrong. I think his choice of friends is bad, and that for his own good, he'd be better off cutting any more links with people like that. I also don't see how it is a disgrace to Celtic.

I think its an over the top article turning a small incident into a shítstorm, bringing up theings like Veronica Guiren, hinting that it could happen again, which in the context of the article is totally irrelevent.

Given that the Irish journalist who broke the story has already received death threats, I wouldn't think it's that irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

First of I would have been very suprised if Stokes was not t this given his background. Its indeed odd it has taken this long to come out!

Secondly, I am having trouble thinking of a more overrated (in terms of the initial promise people lauded on him when Sunderland bought him) prima donna to wear the green jersey than this clown. Nithing but a petulant non contributor.

Thirdly- his father (or adoptive uncle according to wiki) is probably one of the biggest clowns to ever shame the republican movement. Morons like him would have the men of 1916 turning in their graves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say there's too many on here falling on the same side as the Rira

I'm not going to get into the micro-politics of the Republican movement here - that'd do none of us any good.
    However i'd suggest that there may be one or two more than your dismissive nature indicates that you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Given that the Irish journalist who broke the story has already received death threats, I wouldn't think it's that irrelevant.

who is the journalist and where did she break it?

Don't know who she is but surely they aren't making it up what purpose would it serve. To be frank this is disgusting

Politics and football should never mix. When you add religion to this it makes it even more ridiculous.

Politics and football should never mix. When you add religion to this it makes it even more ridiculous.

Seriously I must have missed it who's talking about religion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Politics and football should never mix. .

Jesus I ****ing hate this rubbish. Football rivalries with a political edge are the most entertaining of the lot. Real vs Barca. Argentina vs England. Ourselves or Scotland vs England. Germany vs Poland. While nobody with a brain wants to see crowd violence the bragging rights from a politically inspired match are alot more interesting than two derby teams who dislike each other based on geographical divisions of their city. They may not be great teams but who in the world would not want to see Israel vs Palestine in a world cup game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I've been following this story since that pic of Stokes was published and it's actually remarkable that it took that long for someone to write about it and say what many people are thinking. Stokes has landed his club in a real mess with this and it will be interesting to see what Celtic do about it.

Attending a so-called 'fundraiser' for Alan Ryan's family looks really, really bad on anyone's resumé, whatever way you look at it. All this stuff about Ryan being a family friend and Stokes was there in a personal capacity, blah blah, it's all patronising bullshít. He was there at a fundraiser for an outlawed terrorist group. End of argument. Anyone who says it was solely a fundraiser for Ryan's family to help 'look after them' must think the rest of us are fúcking stupid.

Stokes has no class about him and if Celtic have any balls they'd sack him for bringing their club into disrepute. I also hope he never plays for Ireland again.

what's ridiculous is you bringing religion into it

that didnt exactly answer my question though. I would take the indos view on this with pinch of salt too, Dont get me wrong im not denying there were death threats and thats disgusting

that didnt exactly answer my question though. I would take the indos view on this with pinch of salt too, Dont get me wrong im not denying there were death threats and thats disgusting

Apparently it wasn't the Independent, my bad. It was the Irish Mail on Sunday, and was written by Alison Reilly under the headline "Stokes Flies in for Benefit Night for RIRA Thug Alan Ryan."

what's ridiculous is you bringing religion into it

You saying religion doesn't have any bearing on differences in the North? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If a player from the Club I support attended an event such as the one Stokes did and had an unashamed friendship with somebody of Alan Ryans ilk, I wouldnt want him playing for the club.

You saying religion doesn't have any bearing on differences in the North? :confused:

who mentioned the north? and ou are the only one to mention religion in this whole saga,this thread is about Stokes attendance at a certain function, it has absolutely nothing to do with religion, much as you would like to drag t there

If a player from the Club I support attended an event such as the one Stokes did and had an unashamed friendship with somebody of Alan Ryans ilk, I wouldnt want him playing for the club.

fine, thats your opinion. You're not a celtic supporter though are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Let's be honest here. If he didn't play for a Glasgow club, and Ryan wasn't involved in an Irish criminal organisation it wouldn't be such an issue.

Let's be honest here. If he didn't play for a Glasgow club, and Ryan wasn't involved in an Irish criminal organisation it wouldn't be such an issue.

You're right, I mean it's not like Glasgow has any societal issues which relate to Ireland at all does it?
    :rolleyes:

who mentioned the north? and ou are the only one to mention religion in this whole saga,this thread is about Stokes attendance at a certain function, it has absolutely nothing to do with religion, much as you would like to drag t there

Yeah that certain function was a leader of the RIRA. Sure they have no links with the North at all? And religion plays no part in the sectarianism that goes on there and in scotland? :rolleyes:

Hand in the sand.

I like Celtic as a club but they need to sort this out asap.

Eirebear wrote: »
    You're right, I mean it's not like Glasgow has any societal issues which relate to Ireland at all does it?
    :rolleyes:
    Uh.... you've just emphasised the point I made...

If he was a celtic supporter it would be even more reason not to want him playing for his club.

And if your Aunty had balls she would be your Uncle

The simple facts are he does and he did

And if your Aunty had balls she would be your Uncle

The simple facts are he does and he did
    Unlike yourself I'm not in the business of disputing facts. I was just making an observation on the reaction to the story.

• Advertisement

Unlike yourself I'm not in the business of disputing facts. I was just making an observation on the reaction to the story.

And a pointless observation at that as for disputing facts where in this thread have I disputed anything seen as a fact and in other threads just because you say it's a fact doesn't make it so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

True and it would affirm the stereotype of the celtic fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

And as I said, there's other ways to respect a friend's memory than to go to a memorial event that is clearly RIRA themed.

Why did he have to slip in and out, if he wasn't there to get friendly with terrorists ?

You can tell it was clearly RIRA themed from one photo?? Your talents aqre clearly wasted trolling here.

Said journalist had received numerous death threats prior to writing any article mentioning Stokes, so yes it is completely irrelevant.

You can tell it was clearly RIRA themed from one photo?? Your talents aqre clearly wasted trolling here.

You may have only seen one photo, that doesn't mean the rest of us have.
    Does this look like a normal gathering for a friend to you ?

Stokes+5

Said journalist had received numerous death threats prior to writing any article mentioning Stokes, so yes it is completely irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Not if DDC1990 said it was an attempt at stirring up a small incident.
    Small incidents don't lead to death threats.

I would expect a Republican band at a commemoration for a dead Republican.

I would expect a Republican band at a commemoration for a dead Republican.

I thought it was just a fundraiser for the family ?

I thought it was just a fundraiser for the family ?
    the family of a dead Republican......

Did you think you'd made a good point there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Don't know what all the hoo ha's about, sure we in Glasgow hardly know this ****e's going on - it's not even mentioned on STV or BBC Scotland :p

Erm no, but we have people here saying it was just a fundraiser for the family, to help them pay for the funeral.

So which is it: A remembrance for a 'Republican' (I doubt genuine Republicans would want to be associated with the likes of him) or just a fundraiser to help the family pay for the funeral ?

• Advertisement

Erm no, but we have people here saying it was just a fundraiser for the family, to help them pay for the funeral.

So which is it: A remembrance for a 'Republican' (I doubt genuine Republicans would want to be associated with the likes of him) or just a fundraiser to help the family pay for the funeral ?

Ok sorry, a fundraiser for the family... of a dead Republican. Makes no difference to my point whatsoever.

Usually when you have a fundraiser for the family of someone who has just died it involves some sort of commemoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

QUOTE]Not if DDC1990 said it was an attempt at stirring up a small incident.
    Small incidents don't lead to death threats.

Tell that the UVF or their ilk!

Yeah that certain function was a leader of the RIRA. Sure they have no links with the North at all? And religion plays no part in the sectarianism that goes on there and in scotland? :rolleyes:

Hand in the sand.

I like Celtic as a club but they need to sort this out asap.

You do know you can be a republican or indeed loyalist and not have any religious beliefs? You mentioned football and religion, you're introducing a red herring for your own reasons, if i go to a republican function am i bringing religious issues into my workplace?

True and it would affirm the stereotype of the celtic fan

sorry, what would?

I think it would have been a story regardless of what club he plays for. As for ryan, well if he was just an ordinary Joe soap of course it wouldnt have been an issue,

Yeah I didn't say it wouldn't be a story/issue.

• Advertisement

Yeah I didn't say it wouldn't be a story/issue.
    But...but..you did.
    Surely it wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for the Ireland connection....

"It wouldn't be as much of an issue."

"It wouldn't be an issue"

These are two different statements.

Tomorrow, we learn to count to 10 without our fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

"It wouldn't be as much of an issue."

"It wouldn't be an issue"

These are two different statements.

Tomorrow, we learn to count to 10 without our fingers!

Jesus talk about splitting hairs. You will wriggle anyway you can imagine rather than admit that it might be a bad thing that one of your team's players is associating with gangsters.

Madam wrote: »
    Tell that the UVF or their ilk!

This is not about those of their ilk though this is about Ryan and his ilk and Stokes connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pro. F wrote: »
    Jesus talk about splitting hairs. You will wriggle anyway you can imagine rather than admit that it might be a bad thing that one of your team's players is associating with gangsters.
    No, if it was a rangers player attending the fundraiser for a dead leader of the UVF, the Celtic fans on here would have no problem with it. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement