Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stokes in hot water at Celtic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Cienciano wrote: »
    No, if it was a rangers player attending the fundraiser for a dead leader of the UVF, the Celtic fans on here would have no problem with it. :D

depends on the circumstances really. if it was a player from belfast who knew the person in question, then i wouldnt have a huge issue with t actually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

depends on the circumstances really. if it was a player from belfast who knew the person in question, then i wouldnt have a huge issue with t actually

First we have to get a point cleared up this was not a funeral this was a fundraiser.
    I would have a problem with a representative of my club attending any of these events knowing what they were all about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Maybe this explains why he bombed in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Maybe this explains why he bombed in England.

Meanwhile only 2 months ago....
    Coillte_Bhoy If Stokes ran out at Ibrox with an armband in remembrance of a dead ira man i would have him on the transfer list straight away.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80692878

First we have to get a point cleared up this was not a funeral this was a fundraiser.
    I would have a problem with a representative of my club attending any of these events knowing what they were all about

but i never said it was a funeral:confused:

rarnes1 wrote: »

And?? Thats still my position and what point exactly are you trying to make?

And?? Thats still my position and what point exactly are you trying to make?

Just pointing out how ridiculous you look trying to defend Stokes on this.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just pointing out how ridiculous you look trying to defend Stokes on this.

Why am i being ridicolous?? How can you possibly compare him wearing a black armband at Ibrox in memory of a dead ira man to what he actually did cos that is what you are doing by dragging up my old post. It's an absolutely ridiculous and stupid comparison to make. And i'm not sure i'm defending him as such to be honest, im just not jumping on the outraged bandwagon. Maybe im wrong but i dont recall stokes making any political statements or actively promoting militant republicanism though i stand to be corrected. Should i be in hot water at my workplace if i attended such a function or indeed should any of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Both John Terry & Wayne Rooney have well known criminal connections,Where is the hullabaloo about these guys or what about Stevie Gerrard being a character witness for a armed robber and well known gangster.

Add in Stuart Pearce,Titus Bramble and many more who are connected to convicted criminals.

Stokes has some unsavory mates but is he any different to those mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Pro. F wrote: »
    Jesus talk about splitting hairs. You will wriggle anyway you can imagine rather than admit that it might be a bad thing that one of your team's players is associating with gangsters.
    lol so it's okay for someone to spuriously claim I've said things, but when I correct them I'm splitting hairs?

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Both John Terry & Wayne Rooney have well known criminal connections,Where is the hullabaloo about these guys or what about Stevie Gerrard being a character witness for a armed robber and well known gangster.

Add in Stuart Pearce,Titus Bramble and many more who are connected to convicted criminals.

Stokes has some unsavory mates but is he any different to those mentioned?

Yeah those you mentioned's mates were not trying to kid people on they were some sort of republican heroes

but i never said it was a funeral:confused:

Your right you didn't and I meant to put that in my post
    Just the amount of people saying it was is really annoying :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

lol so it's okay for someone to spuriously claim I've said things, but when I correct them I'm splitting hairs?

Lol, "spuriosly"?
    Your post was dismissive of the situation, and insinuated a certain bigotry aspect of Scottish culture.

Now youre trying to dig your way out of it.
    It really is that simple, and you are looking more and more like you're struggling to consolidate your own opinion as this thread progresses.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Lol, "spuriosly"?
    Your post was dismissive of the situation, and insinuated a certain bigotry aspect of Scottish culture.

It really is that simple, and you are looking more and more like you're struggling to consolidate your own opinion as this thread progresses.

ah come on where did bigotry come into this?

Lol, "spuriosly"?

If you can't comprehend simple sentences of the English language there really is no point in using a forum.

Although I get the impression you could hammer a load of random characters as a post and your wee sidekick would run along to Thank your post ;)

ah come on where did bigotry come into this?
    Read the post, look at the use of italics in the word Irish, you really think there was nothing else intended?

Although I get the impression you could hammer a load of random characters as a post and your wee sidekick would run along to Thank your post ;)

Just as well eh? If I actually managed to formulate a sentence I'd be in danger of making you look like a right bitter wee soul!
    ;)

If you can't comprehend simple sentences of the English language there really is no point in using a forum.

Once again it s none of your business who I thank and stop trying to be a big man it isn't working

• Advertisement

Read the post, look at the use of italics in the word Irish, you really think there was nothing else intended?

which post? Im rightly confused now:)

Once again it s none of your business who I thank and stop trying to be a big man it isn't working
    Can you get a wifi signal that far up or do you have to reach your hand out?

which post? Im rightly confused now:)

This one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82064653&postcount=75

Can you get a wifi signal that far up or do you have to reach your hand out?

LOL oooohhhh insults

I dont see how he is insinuating bigotry there, it was the irish media making a story of it was it not? maybe he can explain his use of italics though?

I dont see how he is insinuating bigotry there, it was the irish media making a story of it was it not? maybe he can explain his use of italics though?

Tom English isn't the Irish Media - He works for BBC Scotland and wrote that article for the Scotsman.
    I'd be very interested in an explanation though, i'm up for a giggle tbh.

• Advertisement

Tom English isn't the Irish Media - He works for BBC Scotland and wrote that article for the Scotsman.

He really gets upset at that. Thanks ;)

Why not just make one up yourself and say I said it?
    He really gets upset at that. Thanks
    Aha the classic internet defence, where no matter how much somebody takes the piss out of you, if you say they're the one upset then they must be!

asfhnsdvspodjfslgnl
    ;)

Ya thats right, i was thinking of the irish journalist, my bad

He really gets upset at that. Thanks ;)

me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So, over 2 days since Stokes said on twitter "so many lies, I will go through it with you on here so ppl can see...". Lies exposed by stokes is still 1. And that's the bombshell that stokes didn't know Alan Ryan as a child. Funny enough, Stokes would be in a better position if he did.

Ya thats right, i was thinking of the irish journalist, my bad

he is irish! :p

he is irish! :p

ha ha, true again. Me head is wrecked with this thread. Im off over to the huddleboard for some sanity.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

I would say his days at Celtic are numbered, the guy has a chip on his shoulder at the best of times anyways. Neil Lennon has had to deal with all that crap for too long without stokes bringing more on his doorstep.

secman wrote: »
    I would say his days at Celtic are numbered, the guy has a chip on his shoulder at the best of times anyways. Neil Lennon has had to deal with all that crap for too long without stokes bringing more on his doorstep.

why you say that?

Aha the classic internet defence, where no matter how much somebody takes the piss out of you, if you say they're the one upset then they must be!
    If you believe you are taking the piss then carry on Once again it's you that's acting like a spoiled child over who I thank and once again it's non of your business

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nobody spuriously claimed you said things. The difference between "it wouldn't be such an issue" and "it wouldn't be an issue" is of fúck all consequence. The inconsequential difference didn't change the point that Coillte made in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cienciano wrote: »
    So, over 2 days since Stokes said on twitter "so many lies, I will go through it with you on here so ppl can see...". Lies exposed by stokes is still 1. And that's the bombshell that stokes didn't know Alan Ryan as a child. Funny enough, Stokes would be in a better position if he did.

He has been advised by he's legal reps and he's agent/advisor to keep quite and stay away from Tom English on Twitter untill the matter is resolved.

And one lie/untruth in any article is one too many for a so called ''Journalist'' and I use that term loosely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

He has been advised by he's legal reps and he's agent/advisor to keep quite and stay away from Tom English on Twitter untill the matter is resolved.

And one lie/untruth in any article is one too many for a so called ''Journalist'' and I use that term loosely.

Traynor is a far better journalist than many who claim to be.

He'd probably been advised cos he's making a fool of himself. The club/agent/solicitors are telling him to stop digging a bigger hole for himself and to drop the subject.

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Traynor is a far better journalist than many who claim to be.

I assume he's talking about English? Who personally I find to be objective and articulate any time I listen to him or read a piece by him.
    As for lies and untruths, its hard to see what Stokes could possibly sue for here.

He was at the event, he did know Ryan, Ryan was a violent criminal.
    The rest is about opinion, you can't sue an opinion.

****, my bad :D

Yeha, English isn't a bad journalist either.

I assume he's talking about English? Who personally I find to be objective and articulate any time I listen to him or read a piece by him.As for lies and untruths, its hard to see what Stokes could possibly sue for here.

He was at the event, he did know Ryan, Ryan was a violent criminal.
    The rest is about opinion, you can't sue an opinion.
    ****, my bad :D

Yeha, English isn't a bad journalist either.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/sfl-division-three/tom-english-charles-green-s-vision-in-an-exclusive-sorry-imaginary-briefing-1-2643329

Thats the same English who wrote this rubbish about your own club and who has in the last few weeks received death threats on rangersmedia.com??

Seriously lads you are making bigger fools out of yourselves here than I or that bofoon English ever could :D

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/sfl-division-three/tom-english-charles-green-s-vision-in-an-exclusive-sorry-imaginary-briefing-1-2643329

Thats the same English who wrote this rubbish about your own club and who has in the last few weeks received death threats on rangersmedia.com??

Seriously lads you are making bigger fools out of yourselves here than I or that bofoon English ever could :D

How'd you figure that one out?

Again, he wrote an opinion piece, i maynot agree with it but it's hardly the end of the world. His opinion of Charles Green is one that is held by a number of people, including many on here - so it's not exactly surprising that a journalist would eventually write an article about it is there?

As for death threats on RM, i've never used the website so i wouldn;t know about them - i'm not sure if you're somehow lumping myself and jelle in with those death threats or not, because they're hardly relevent to the topic at hand.

Foolish? No.
    Just bored by the usual "If in doubt, attack rangers" response.

Right, so Anthony Stokes isn't the fool, the people defending him for going to a fundraiser for the head of the RIRA aren't. It's the journalist for reporting the facts and the people that see something wrong with stokes actions (which include Celtic FC).
    Right :rolleyes:

That was an opinion piece, I may not agree but that doesn't mean anything.

As for death threats: Prove it.

That was an opinion piece, I may not agree but that doesn't mean anything.

As for death threats: Prove it.

You can access that site as well as I can, if there were no death threats why was it reported on BBC two weeks ago that the website owners had to issue a warning to all users that their details would be passed on to the Police if the threats against English persisted??

For those saying it was an opinion piece, you are missing the point I wasn't referring to the fact that he had written a piece that reflected negatively on Rangers or their owner it was the quality or lack thereof of the piece it is gutter journalism, something English seems to excel at.

I am curious as to how we have suddenly moved on to where we have posters here claiming as fact that a) Stokes knowingly attended a RIRA fundraiser and b) that Celtic FC have any sort of problem with anything Stokes has done.

Like I said before I am not exactly a fan of the guy and he's future is pretty uncertain at Celtic but that has fcuk all to do with this made up story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

just bored by the usual "If in doubt, attack rangers" response.

Or I can't understand why the faux outrage of Stokes's misadventures by Rangers fans on here - which can be even more boring to say the least! This thread is just the same old, same old tit for tat as I said yis are all making a big issue out of this - the media(those that matter - not sports journo's)) here in Scotland havn't raised a peep about this! NOBODY in Scotland cares as much as Rangers fans so obviously do and you accuse Celtic fans of obsessing?:rolleyes:

Madam wrote: »
    Or I can't understand why the faux outrage of Stokes's misadventures by Rangers fans on here - which can be even more boring to say the least! This thread is just the same old, same old tit for tat as I said yis are all making a big issue out of this - the media(those that matter - not sports journo's)) here in Scotland havn't raised a peep about this! NOBODY in Scotland cares as much as Rangers fans so obviously do and you accuse Celtic fans of obsessing?:rolleyes:

I think you will find that there is a hell of a lot of people in this thread who are not Rangers fans commenting on it. It really is amazing how when something comes up regarding Rangers I don't see you on complaining about so called tit for tat issues as for no one caring twitter is full of people talking about it and Stokes cared enough when he threatened English with legal action. And as this is an Irish board people certainly care when the Journalist who originally broke the story received death threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

I think it's because a lot of people see football players as some sort of representative of the club they play for.

For example if he walks around Dublin or Glasgow he wouldn't be Anthony Stokes, he would be Anthony Stokes, the Celtic player.
    And that is a reason that I never want to see Stokes in an Ireland jersey again. Bad enough he has already worn it.

Advertisement